Vista irritations.. Any ideas?

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Vista irritations.. Any ideas?

Postby Lyion » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:55 am

Ok, I've been running Vista for the last week without any problems... until now

Today, I go to copy a 4 gig file from Vista to my Network Allocated Storage Server, which has 200 Gigs free. Vista tells me there is not enough free space. There is obviously plenty of space and my XP and Linux machines have no issues with this server.

Any ideas?
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:07 am

Sounds like a rights issue.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:24 am

I have admin rights on Vista, and I've copied files over before. It just stopped working.
I've circumventing this by sharing my Vista filesystems and copying files via SAMBA on Linux, but what an irking little bug.

I'm glad I don't do Vista server support.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Martrae » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:15 am

Kahar removed Vista from his laptop today. He got fed up with all it's idiosyncrasies and went back to XP.

He did put up with it for several weeks, though.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:00 am

Vista is fucking garbage.

After a month of its bullshit, random bugs, I formatted that slut. I suggest you follow suit.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:40 am

I'm using the Media Center on mine for TV Recording, so I'd rather not remove it. I got a good deal on DirecTV so I had to toss my MythTV setup.

I like some of the features, but really it doesn't seem that hugely different from XP, outside of the fact it bundles different things that should've been included, like Media Center and DirectX 10.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:49 am

Much of it is rewritten from the bottom up. It may appear similar on the surface but it's not.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:54 am

I know it's based on Windows 2003 Server and has changed to a kernel based modular approach. An assload of the components seem to be the same to me. The stuff that was changed seems to have been changed in a piss poor way, although I'm certainly not a Windows Guru

However, so much of it is ass.. File copying speeds... Much of the logic... Windows Search...gaming...

If I didn't have my TV recordings going to it, I'd yank it in a sec, but I don't want to pay for Media Center.

Vista has some good ideas, but really XP works better, is easier, and runs faster so I'm not sure why anyone would go to Vista.. Except of course most people buying new PCs probably don't have much of a choice
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby runamonk » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:20 am

lyion wrote:I know it's based on Windows 2003 Server and has changed to a kernel based modular approach. An assload of the components seem to be the same to me. The stuff that was changed seems to have been changed in a piss poor way, although I'm certainly not a Windows Guru

However, so much of it is ass.. File copying speeds... Much of the logic... Windows Search...gaming...

If I didn't have my TV recordings going to it, I'd yank it in a sec, but I don't want to pay for Media Center.

Vista has some good ideas, but really XP works better, is easier, and runs faster so I'm not sure why anyone would go to Vista.. Except of course most people buying new PCs probably don't have much of a choice

File copying speeds... These seem much slower with vista then with previous OS's. I thought it was just me but I've noticed it. Now if I use Servant Salamander for file operations it works perfectly, no speed issues at all, so it's something with explorer I thinking.
runamonk
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby runamonk » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:18 pm

Check this out.
runamonk
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Lyion » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:15 pm

I am going to see if I can get Myth to work with DirecTV.

I'm glad this is just a free work version.. I'll yank it or see if I can get a cheap Media Center copy somewhere.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Evermore » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:07 am

lyion wrote:I have admin rights on Vista, and I've copied files over before. It just stopped working.
I've circumventing this by sharing my Vista filesystems and copying files via SAMBA on Linux, but what an irking little bug.

I'm glad I don't do Vista server support.

have you checked your integrity rights?
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Lyion » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:03 am

Ok, after several weeks of Vista, and actually going through the server docs, security setup, and being irritated by the huge bloat, I'm throwing in the towel.

Vista has some neat features, but there are some tremendous problems and some huge bugs. Hopefully SP1 will sort this out.

Just a few notes: File copying is ridiculously slow. Media Center is very buggy and has a lot of issues. DRM for meda center sucks ass. Games run much slower than on XP. Neither of my printers work properly.

I won't be going back to Vista anytime soon.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lueyen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:50 am

lyion wrote:Hopefully SP1 will sort this out.

I thought I read somewhere that Microsoft is gravitating away from strict service pack versions with Vista, as in there won't be an official one just a bunch of patches through windows update. If that is the case it's going to skew perception of when exactly it becomes a stable usable OS for general use. (the benchmark has usually been referenced by service pack or update points).
Raymond S. Kraft wrote:The history of the world is the history of civilizational clashes, cultural clashes. All wars are about ideas, ideas about what society and civilization should be like, and the most determined always win.

Those who are willing to be the most ruthless always win. The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.
Lueyen
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby kaharthemad » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:31 am

whoever thought this program was ready for release should be dragged thru the streets and pelted with moldy bananas.

Every half an hour on vista I think "well thats 30 minutes of my life Ill never get back."
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Return to Tech Support