omg seriously

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

omg seriously

Postby leah » Tue May 01, 2007 9:50 pm

OK so long story short, we uninstalled vista on my laptop and installed XP, but now i don't have compatible drivers for most of my hardware. we found the right one for the internet card but cannot seem to find a driver for my stupid freaking graphics card.

it's a geforce go 7600 and i swear we've tried everything in the book . . . help?
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Lueyen » Tue May 01, 2007 9:58 pm

What brand and model of laptop is it?
Raymond S. Kraft wrote:The history of the world is the history of civilizational clashes, cultural clashes. All wars are about ideas, ideas about what society and civilization should be like, and the most determined always win.

Those who are willing to be the most ruthless always win. The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.
Lueyen
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby leah » Tue May 01, 2007 10:01 pm

lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Lueyen » Tue May 01, 2007 10:18 pm

Raymond S. Kraft wrote:The history of the world is the history of civilizational clashes, cultural clashes. All wars are about ideas, ideas about what society and civilization should be like, and the most determined always win.

Those who are willing to be the most ruthless always win. The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.
Lueyen
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby leah » Tue May 01, 2007 10:20 pm

i have winXP home :\
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Lueyen » Tue May 01, 2007 10:33 pm

From the release notes:

The development system should have one the following Windows operating
systems installed.

Microsoft Windows XP* SP2
Microsoft Windows XP Professional* SP2
Microsoft Windows XP Embedded* SP2
Microsoft Windows 2000* SP4
Microsoft WEPOS*

It looks like Toshiba has only developed drivers for Vista. The specs list this as the graphics accelerator, and the Nvida card as a subsystem. I've been wrong, but I seriously doubt there is going to be a problem with the driver based on different flavors of XP.

Lueyen
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby 10sun » Tue May 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Don't listen to his lies, it'll make your computer explode if you install the wrong drivers!!!
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Tossica » Tue May 01, 2007 11:03 pm

Should have left Vista on there.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Harrison » Wed May 02, 2007 12:15 am

Vista is garbage, don't listen to that tool.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby leah » Wed May 02, 2007 6:30 am

we're just gonna put it back on . . . not worth all this hassle.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Lueyen » Wed May 02, 2007 9:00 am

And she reinstalled Vista.... let the copious quantities of hassles commence ;-).

Lueyen
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby leah » Wed May 02, 2007 9:19 am

haven't done it yet; josh is going to do it when he gets off work.

the laptop came with two discs from toshiba that contain all the (vista-compatible) drivers and the system setup itself, although i do not have an actual vista disc, so i'm hoping it'll still reinstall.

the whole reason we decided to uninstall it in the first place is because of all the toshiba-installed bloatware that was slowing things down ridiculously. so josh said "well you have a copy of XP, right? let's just uninstall it and put your XP on there." so we did, and driver-finding hilarity as ensued. i'm ready to throw in the towel.

if worse comes to worst and the toshiba discs won't reinstall vista and restore my laptop to the state in which is was shipped, i'd be perfectly willing to go buy a fresh, unbloated copy of vista to install. i have no real problem with vista; i like its features and i think it's very pretty hehe . . . i just don't dig all the other crap on my system that's slowing it down very badly.

if the toshiba discs DO return my laptop to its original form, we're going to do some serious spelunking to find all the stuff that's slowing things down and eradicate it from my system. and yes, i realize that we could've done that in the first place, but i guess we thought it would be just as effective to install XP (a system that we know the ins & outs of and know to work well for my purposes, AND that has a lot of support available . . . except, apparently, for the drivers i need).

i don't know. i'll be glad when we get this whole thing sorted out. it's been a nightmare.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby kaharthemad » Fri May 04, 2007 7:55 am

nice thing is...she has the bios version. she does not register with the borg .
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby leah » Fri May 04, 2007 8:00 am

it's all reinstalled now, and i uninstalled all the extraneous bloatware i could find . . . and wow is still laggy :( any other suggestions?
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby kaharthemad » Fri May 04, 2007 8:06 am

leah wrote:it's all reinstalled now, and i uninstalled all the extraneous bloatware i could find . . .

So you formated Vista again?
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby leah » Fri May 04, 2007 8:31 am

erm yes. but since all i have are the discs toshiba sent me, when i reinstalled vista i also had to reinstall all the crap that toshiba put on it when they built it. so i tried to take off as much of it as i could.

still a lag, though. i don't get why :\
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby 10sun » Fri May 04, 2007 9:18 am

leah wrote:it's all reinstalled now, and i uninstalled all the extraneous bloatware i could find . . . and wow is still laggy :( any other suggestions?

a) don't play WoW.
b) update your video card drivers.
c) live with it.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Lyion » Fri May 04, 2007 9:20 am

leah wrote:erm yes. but since all i have are the discs toshiba sent me, when i reinstalled vista i also had to reinstall all the crap that toshiba put on it when they built it. so i tried to take off as much of it as i could.

still a lag, though. i don't get why :\

Vista is terrible for games and is very unpolished.

There is really no way around it, except to install XP, which you don't seem to want to do.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby leah » Fri May 04, 2007 9:25 am

i did install XP, and we couldn't find the right drivers for my graphics card! :(

adam--i don't play wow very much hehe (i don't have the concentration necessary to level in any sort of timely manner) but it's fun to play every once in a while, i'm not paying for it, and it's a good way to spend time with trent (josh's brother, who we don't get to see very often). i'm not going to become some crazy wow addict lol
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Lyion » Fri May 04, 2007 10:03 am

The default graphics drivers should work fine for your card, as Lueyen noted above. Did you try and install them?
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby 10sun » Fri May 04, 2007 10:05 am

oh, I forgot to ask.

It is onboard integrated video right? Check your CMOS settings and see how much system ram you have dedicated to video?

-Adam
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby leah » Fri May 04, 2007 10:08 am

lyion, i tried installing the drivers that came with the original factory installation on my laptop and they didn't work.

adam, that's getting too techie for me haha but i will tell josh to do these things. :P for what it's worth, though, it's got a geforce 7600 go graphics card.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Harrison » Fri May 04, 2007 10:22 am

Vista runs games like shit?! Nooooooooo....

Fuck Vista and the tools tooting its horn.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby leah » Fri May 04, 2007 10:26 am

/sigh

harrison i know and understand your feelings toward vista but it's what i have to work with and your statements are not particularly helpful here.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Harrison » Fri May 04, 2007 10:30 am

I'm sorry, but Vista and Microsoft anger me.

DirectX 10 is exclusive to Vista and forcing gamers to upgrade against their will basically (even in the future) is a dick move.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Next

Return to Tech Support