my bios resets itself

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

my bios resets itself

Postby dammuzis » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:28 pm

my bios resets to defaults (doesnt recognize sata) everytime i turn off my computer for any length of time...

i think its the CMOS battery but since the computer is rather new im looking for other solutions

any ideas?
dammuzis
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby 10sun » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:40 pm

your jumpers aren't set properly to retain settings.
or your cmos battery could very well be dead.

I run into the same issue when I leave my PC unplugged for any period of time.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Lueyen » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:05 am

With a jumper reset it would reset every time you booted up. The battery should be fairly simple to replace, they just slide in and out now vs the soldering it took in the past.
Raymond S. Kraft wrote:The history of the world is the history of civilizational clashes, cultural clashes. All wars are about ideas, ideas about what society and civilization should be like, and the most determined always win.

Those who are willing to be the most ruthless always win. The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.
Lueyen
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby 10sun » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:52 am

Lueyen wrote:With a jumper reset it would reset every time you booted up. The battery should be fairly simple to replace, they just slide in and out now vs the soldering it took in the past.

Depends on the jumper design.

For instance, for my old one, there were the options of:
a) Bios save
b) Bios reset
c) Jumper removed entirely

Which would in turn cause the PC to randomly clear the bios. I only figured this out when I had to replace my soundcard, I thought it was simply a faulty battery that flaked out every once in a while. Then I realized that I fucked up while building it originally and left that jumper undone.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Return to Tech Support