Video drivers on a macbook pro - bootcamp to XP

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Video drivers on a macbook pro - bootcamp to XP

Postby Reynaldo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:30 am

The laptop has an 8600gt card, but when I go to nvidia's site and get the latest driver it starts install then errors out that it didn't find any drivers compatible with my hardware.

I searched for the driver on the windows xp 32bit platform since that's what I have on bootcamp.

Reason I'm trying to update the driver is I installed EQ on the windows partition to see if it would work, and it does, but the game basically plays in fast forward, and my guy is warping all over the place.

I figured it was a directx 9 issue which the latest 8600gt driver says it corrects.

thoughts?
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:32 am

I can't even begin to touch this issue, man.

That said, doesn't EQ play on Macs? It plays on Linux, which is compatible with OS X.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gidan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:00 am

Goto http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers and either download the entire driver there or just download the nv4_disp.ini file and replace the one in the nvidia folder where the executable extracted to, usually c:/nvidia unless you changed it. If you download the ini only, make sure its for the correct version of the drivers. The page is fairly clear.

The current nvidia drivers dont work with most laptops due to that ini file, you just need to replace it and it will find your card. The nvidia beta drives "should" also be able to detect it but its a 50/50 thing and their not 100% stable.

Let me know if you still have problems and I might be able to find you some drivers that work.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:26 am

http://eqmac.station.sony.com/

EQ plays on Macs.. No need to have a Windows partition just for it.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:52 am

I believe the mac version is different and you can only play on a select few mac servers. I of course, would like to use it as a box for my shaman.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:16 am

Reynaldo wrote:I believe the mac version is different and you can only play on a select few mac servers. I of course, would like to use it as a box for my shaman.

That's pretty crappy.
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:05 am

Thanks Gid. The modded INF worked for installing the latest driver for the card. It's unsigned of course so I'll see if it works tonight when I get home to improve the game performance.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Return to Tech Support