overwhelmed

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

overwhelmed

Postby Tikker » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:37 pm

this is more blog than tech, but the girls won't understand 99% of the terms anyway, so who cares

for the last few years I've worked at my company (isp/telco/IPTV/wireless etc) I've done a lot of tier3 support for various services across all 3 networks (voice/data/tv)

apparently I did a good enough job that in the last couple of months I've been moved into the main layer3 support role

I've got 8ish years of networking experience, but working on the big big routers (cisco crs only a couple of these in N.america currently, 12000 series) and switches (7609s, 6509's etc) I'm absolutely in over my head

fuck bgp

that's really all I have to say
fuck bgp and the fuckers that picked IP instead of IS-IS
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:53 pm

sexist pig :P
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:17 pm

Sheeeeit man, work on that stuff for like 3 years and then you can write your own check. If they aren't paying you $120K+ USD a year, tell them to suck it.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:44 pm

Ahhhh, BGP. heh. I used to use that some when I was at WebEx. I did enough to be able to do it, but was never an expert, fortunately we had one on staff. Useful skill to know, given the environment you're in. Hey, congrats, you get to be "That BGP guy" that an ISP has buried in its depth somewhere, but can never locate in under 3 hours when a client has a serious BGP issue and needs to talk to someone at the ISP who has a clue WTF he's talking about. ;) Not that I speak from experience, or anything... rofl.

Toss is right though, put a few years in at it and you can write your ticket just about anywhere. If you're not putting serious work into getting ready for the CCIE, given how much high-level Cisco stuff you're doing, you're making a serious mistake.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Tossica wrote:Sheeeeit man, work on that stuff for like 3 years and then you can write your own check. If they aren't paying you $120K+ USD a year, tell them to suck it.

well eventually yeah, but it's a big step from what I've been doing, and there's way more to it than I'd really expected.

ISP transport BGP is quite a bit more involved than just worrying about customers hanging off our big pipes
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tossica » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:53 pm

Big step maybe but the important thing is that you are getting PAID to learn it. That's fucking awesome.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Return to Tech Support