Bootable CD's

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Bootable CD's

Postby Diekan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:03 am

Ok, so here's the deal. Got Windows 2000 on one partition and SuSE 9.3 on the other. Wanted to format and reinstall 2000. Have a copy of the Win 2000 installation disk on the HD. Copied all the contents to a blank disk. Changed the boot sequence in the bios to read the CD ROM first. Put the disk in. It doesn't work.

Went back and checked through the software app I used to burn the CD, there is no "make bootable" option.

Also, isn't there a way to put a script in contents of the disk that contains the key so I don't have to type it in each and every time?

What about the disk? What did I miss... this is the first time I have burned a copy of Windows (that was copied to the HD first) that wouldn't boot on computer start up.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby kaharthemad » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:43 am

Deik some of the cd's for 2000 did not have any type of boot option on them (most of these were form initial release, second and third print had it) . they came with a floppy disk. I would google it and download a boot disk. Microsoft might actually have the image for the floppy.
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Evermore » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:53 am

try running Makeboot.exe from the bootdisk folder.

or this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197063
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tikker » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:45 pm

was going to say, every win2k disk I've seen has need floppies
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Diekan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:14 pm

Thanks all...

by the way.... holy shit SUSE 10.0 friggin owns. I was of the mind set that I wasn't going to upgrade every couple of months, every time a new version came out. So I waited and just got 10.0 up and going.. damn it's nice.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Gidan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:13 pm

suse 10 isn't bad at all. If you liked suse in the past 10 is a good upgrade. As for the key being added to the iso, use nlite http://www.nliteos.com. You can add any drivers you know you will need as well as the key. It also lets you completely configure what parts of windows get installed and what dont. Great for slimming down windows. You can also add in windows updates so that you dont need to reinstall them. It may also be able to work on the bootable issue as well.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Diekan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:44 pm

I never really used Gnome till now... I'm liking it. I used KDE almost exclusively in the past. I like Gnome's layout...
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Gidan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:06 pm

I havn't used much other then blackbox for a while now. I launch most programs through command line anyway it really makes no sence to me to use a window manager that uses as much system resources as gnome and kde do.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Diekan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:08 pm

well gnome has more of an OSX feel, while KDE more of a Windows...
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Diekan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:12 pm

I am going to try Ubuntu for the hell of it. Having a lot of problems getting 3D acceleration to work - which is obviously important as I use the PC for a lot of gaming as well. Been through the help boards and I gotta say I can't believe how "helpful" the Ubuntu community is. Asking a question on a SuSE board, well IF you manage to ever get an answer it'll usually be halfassed and completely wrong.

Keep reading more and more good things about Ubuntu... we'll see.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Gidan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:35 pm

Ubuntu is a great disto for people who want as much windows/mac feel as you can get. VERY little is done via command line, you can easily get by never opening a shell at all.

Installing Ubuntu pissed me off because it actually doesn't want you to have root access and expects you to use sudo for everything. To me thats a royal pain and had to boot the box to single user and change the root password just to have a useable box. For the every day joe however, your really dont need root access to do anything. I personally am not a fan of many of the GUI config programs, I would rather update many of the conf files by hand and install from source but thats just me.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Diekan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:09 pm

I'm running Ubuntu right now.... didn't take long to install. It's "ok" but I think I've gotten so used to SuSE I'm not feeling it with this distro.

Going to play with it for a while and see how I like it.

One think about Ubuntu and Redhat is that they're one of the few major players who aren't paying off Microsoft. SuSE/Novell does.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Gidan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:55 pm

hehe SuSE is partnered with Microsoft. Guess that would be considered playing off them :).

I really do like Red Hat, being certified in it probably has some impact on that but in general, its a really good OS. Makes as good a server as an every day box, can be used by the complete noob and at the same time by an expert. Red Hat is my second fav distro behind slackware.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Diekan » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:21 pm

This Ubuntu isn't too bad really. It's much easier to navigate than SuSE, so I guess for the newer users this would be a good distro to start with.

I really liked SuSE and wanted to stick with it on a perma basis - but with their ties to Microsoft and the ridiculous amount of work needed just to get something common like 3D acceleration to work... well... I don't think I'll be going back to it.

Ubuntu is taking the Linux world by storm.... it's growing like wildfire and I suspect it's partly due to its ease of set up and use. Linux needs a distro like this. It needs something that average to new users can install and run without having to spend 4 days trying to get something to work.

It's not Windows or some Microsoft shit so it's all good in my book.

I like the compatibility of Ubuntu with my hardware so far too. With a fresh install of SuSE I am lucky to get 300 FPS.... with Ubuntu (a fresh install) I am getting close to 2000 FPS... just a little tweeking and I should be good. Hell there's exponentially more How Tos with Ubuntu than with SuSE.

I just wish it [Ubuntu] didn't have such a gay name. :biggrin:
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Diekan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:14 pm

Wow... I am really impressed with this distro.

I'm leaving SuSE behind officially now. I spent two days trying to get everything installed and working in SuSE... Frostwire, GTKpod, printers, so on and so forth. With Ubuntu it took all of 3 hours.

Everything truly "just works." I'm very impressed.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Return to Tech Support