Looking for Opengl games

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Looking for Opengl games

Postby Tossica » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:11 pm

I have a SGI Visualization workstation at home that runs Win2K but has no support for DirectX, I know the earlier quake engine games are OpenGL compliant but what other games are? The specs on the machine are godlike... for 1998 but I'm certain it won't run anything from the last couple of years very well. It's a Quad PIII Xeon with a gig of unified system/video memory and a proprietary SGI 3d graphics chipset.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: Looking for Opengl games

Postby Lyion » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:19 pm

Tossica wrote:I have a SGI Visualization workstation at home that runs Win2K but has no support for DirectX, I know the earlier quake engine games are OpenGL compliant but what other games are? The specs on the machine are godlike... for 1998 but I'm certain it won't run anything from the last couple of years very well. It's a Quad PIII Xeon with a gig of unified system/video memory and a proprietary SGI 3d graphics chipset.

Slick. I used to have an old SGI Indy 2. I'd love to get another.

I know nothing of running Win2K but no a bunch of IRIX and Linux games that would run nicely on it.
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:25 pm

Getting Linux on this particular model is a chore. I can't just boot off a disk and load it, you have to flash the proper bootloader first and then there are features that just do not work under *NIX. It's designed to run 2K and unable to run XP.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tacks » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:37 pm

It's been a long ass time but weren't there OpenGL wrappers you could download to use on noncompliant games?
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tossica » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:48 pm

Tacks wrote:It's been a long ass time but weren't there OpenGL wrappers you could download to use on noncompliant games?

I think only if the developer or another nerd created one for the game.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jazendar » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:54 pm

The Counter-Strike series uses OpenGL and 3D.
Jazendar
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Return to Tech Support