Naethyn

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Naethyn

Postby Lyion » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:04 pm

This article might interest you. I saw it linked on /.

http://www.devx.com/go-parallel/Article ... RSS_LATEST
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Naethyn

Postby Naethyn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:00 am

I'm doing 100% of my development in VB.NET. Those are extensions for C++ (which is also in VS). I found this blog doing a google search. It uses many of the techniques I described to achieve multiprocessing, such as the background worker. I have yet to find a decent book on the subject.
http://blogs.msdn.com/greg_schechter/ar ... n-wpf.aspx

But on a side note I did recently buy a new video game book !
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Game-Programming-Direct-9-0c/dp/1598220160/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-6022587-7391921?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191250345&sr=8-2

It has some good reviews. It's all done in C++ so I need to now find another book to teach me C++ lol. I really want to find out how to make video games. I found this XNA studio from microsoft. It is done in C#. Close to VB and I can read it, but I figured if I'm going to learn it right I mine as well do it in C++. Plus all the major video game companies out there want C++ game programmers. (Which is what I want to be). I just want to experience on job while I'm in college.... So I write vb lol.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Lyion » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:04 am

If you don't mind a suggestion, I'd start with the Kernighan & Richie C programming book first. Once you master base C, then you can code in anything. OOP is a small step from C.

http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Lan ... 0131103628

It's interesting so many people are still starting to code in basic. I started programming in Apple's form of basic back in the early 80s. I wrote portions of BBS software and helped a friend create his own multiplayer game based on the Phaze book series. While learning in basic was fun and easy, if you want to be a serious programmer then the K&R C book will help one take the next step. From what I've seen it's still the best way to go.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:21 am

if you want a fun way to get into making games, head over to GBADEV.org and learn how to code for the GBA and the DS

there's a ton of tutorials, walkthru's etc, and the hardware is very well documented

big homebrew community
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:01 am

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. - Edsger Dijkstra

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:27 am

Why are you quoting long dead Dutch dudes, Arlos?

Everyone who is anyone in codeland under 40 pretty much started by coding by basic.

Anyways, the best programmers have the knack, and do their own thing. The Academics think they know better, but those types generally never stray into the real world.

This reminds me of a Dilbert Cartoon from way back when:

Saint Dogbert enters the land of cubicles searching for demons of stupidity. Suddenly he finds an over-promoted computer guru spouting useless database concepts. "You'd be fools to ignore the boolean anti-binary least square approach." The monster is dispatched to the dark world by the sight of its most feared object. "Look! Actual Code!" ("Cool!")
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Diekan » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:27 pm

lyion wrote:If you don't mind a suggestion, I'd start with the Kernighan & Richie C programming book first. Once you master base C, then you can code in anything. OOP is a small step from C.

http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Lan ... 0131103628

It's interesting so many people are still starting to code in basic. I started programming in Apple's form of basic back in the early 80s. I wrote portions of BBS software and helped a friend create his own multiplayer game based on the Phaze book series. While learning in basic was fun and easy, if you want to be a serious programmer then the K&R C book will help one take the next step. From what I've seen it's still the best way to go.

My undergrad alma mater still had students starting out with ADA... till a few years ago they switched to JAVA as their intro language. Well, don't quote me on that - I *think* their starting off with JAVA now, almost 90 percent sure.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Lyion » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:31 am

In college we started with Turbo Pascal, and moved to Fortran. Both were good for learning code, but worthless in the real world of business.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:46 pm

lyion wrote:In college we started with Turbo Pascal, and moved to Fortran. Both were good for learning code, but worthless in the real world of business.

I think things have changed quite a bit since the 1970's.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:13 pm

Careful there, we're around the same age, Chief!

This was Cal Poly's curricula in 1987. Although to be fair 20 years ago seems like the stone age of technology compared to today. No Windows, and Apple ruled the roost.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Naethyn » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:25 pm

Java was my first college programming language in the fall of '04.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby 10sun » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:48 pm

I learned QBasic in middle school, C++ in high school(previous year it was Turbo Pascal), Visual C++, & Visual Basic my senior year of high school.

I went on to learn Perl before going to college.

Entry level course was in Java. I got bored and dropped the course the first week in.

Programming had left me.

-Adam
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Harrison » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:04 am

I first was learning in C++, then taught myself visual basic, and then taught visual basic for a class while still in high school. Basically I got 8 credits for free because VB is fucking ridiculously stupid.

I don't remember jack squat since I decided writing code bored me to tears and haven't touched anything in over 5 years.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gidan » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:44 pm

We started using Pascal in college and switched over to c++. They were trying to move to Java as the into language but most of deans were fighting it. I think they eventually lost but after I left. They still didn't think perl, php or python were worth teaching while I was there.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:48 pm

jeje, and perl is a big mainstay in my line of business

that and awk
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:10 pm

Perl & shell scripting are most of what I do as a DBA, although a knowledge of C <Pro C in my case> and Java also is a necessity.

Sadly, the people doing application coding for most large companies do not reside in North America.

Academia is generally clueless about the real world. Probably because so many of them have never BEEN there.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gidan » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:39 pm

I would be lost in a lot of my day to day work if I didn't have at least a minimal mount of experience with shell scripting. While I cant stand some perl code, there is some really cool stuff you can do with it, no the least of which is to write a program that looks so incredibly screwed up that to any non programmer it looks like gibberish. I probably do 90% of my code in either php or perl. One of these days I will look at ruby, just haven't had the time.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Ouchyfish » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:12 am

I always wanted to learn C so I could code MUDs and be a GOD.

:rofl:
Lyion wrote:If Hillary wins Texas and Ohio, she'll win the nomination.

Tossica wrote:Seriously, there is NO WAY Sony is going to put HD-DVD out of the game.
Ouchyfish
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ganzo » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:03 pm

I'm in Electronics and i have to take VB .Net and Java as prereqs for Assembly class
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Return to Tech Support