Finally! Decent ATI video cards to compete on the DX10 level

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Finally! Decent ATI video cards to compete on the DX10 level

Postby Tikker » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:39 pm

it doesn't change the fact that certain series of cards sucks donkey shit compared between ati and nvidia

so, while I'm glad for your input, but it really doesn't mean fuck all in the context of the conversation ;)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:09 pm

Naethyn wrote:What this thread seems to be missing is that multiple manufacturers can make the same model of video cards. This does not mean they have to use the same materials or the same cooling techniques. That is why you can see an EVGA card for 400 and the exact same ASUS card for 600.

Nvidia and ATI can compete for eternity on graphic card specs and it will not matter. Reliability comes down to the materials used and the design each manufacturer uses.

This is true and probably why my ATI experience has been better than others. I only buy Sapphire.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:41 pm

Naethyn wrote:What this thread seems to be missing is that multiple manufacturers can make the same model of video cards. This does not mean they have to use the same materials or the same cooling techniques. That is why you can see an EVGA card for 400 and the exact same ASUS card for 600.

Nvidia and ATI can compete for eternity on graphic card specs and it will not matter. Reliability comes down to the materials used and the design each manufacturer uses.

You are over lessening the role actual design plays, and the fact it is from NVIDIA or ATI, not the manufacturer. Performance also is related to the drivers from NVIDIA or ATI as well as their design, again not the manufacturer. If one is given a 4 cylinder engine and cheap small tires, obviously the performance and growth will be less than someone with a V8 and performance tires, regardless of how they OC or change the base specs. It doesn't matter if the racing team modifies what they are given, it's still derivative of the base package.

Both my ATI cards that died were Sapphire Cards. I have bought BFG, EVGA, and XFX NVIDIA cards.

The nice thing about EVGA and some of the other NVIDIA manufacturers is they have lifetime warranties and are recognized as superior.

Outside of Martrae, I have yet to hear very much praise for Sapphire or Powercool or any of the other ATI distributors.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby 10sun » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:48 pm

lyion wrote:Outside of Martrae, I have yet to hear very much praise for Sapphire or Powercool or any of the other ATI distributors.

I love my Sapphire x850 Pro. It has lasted a lot longer than I expected.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Tossica » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:55 pm

Fanbois and fangoils, the lot of ya.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:59 am

i just upgraded from a 7300gt 256mb to a 8600gt 512mb

playing bioshock on full graphics = :hiphop:

thanks for thinkin' my tie's nice
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby brinstar » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:01 am

oh btw, three cards ago i had to choose between an evga card and a bfg card

evga came with a game, bfg came with lifetime warranty and free 24/7 tech support

i did the responsible thing and chose the bfg, and after a year the fan crapped out and the card melted

they replaced it free of charge in less than a week

bfg fanboi 4lyfe
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Harrison » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:04 am

BFG are higher quality cards than EVGA anyways. Compare an EVGA to a BFG of the same design, and the BFG has almost always been a significantly better card.

EVGA is a mid-level quality card that manufactures for nvidia.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:42 am

brinstar wrote:oh btw, three cards ago i had to choose between an evga card and a bfg card

evga came with a game, bfg came with lifetime warranty and free 24/7 tech support

i did the responsible thing and chose the bfg, and after a year the fan crapped out and the card melted

they replaced it free of charge in less than a week

bfg fanboi 4lyfe

While I like BFG, also EVGA comes with a lifetime warranty, as well. They are pretty well respected.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby LostCause » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:12 pm

The last ATI card I actually enjoyed was my 9800 Pro and I absolutely loved it....a great card and just sold it to a friend of mine still does the job well enough to play most games now a days....although I did get turned off by the X series...

Lyion I have a Voodoo card too, although I use it to serve Entree's on for guests seeing how its the size of a fucking plate lmao j/k but seriously though its a frisbee

PS. Excited to see what this 8800 can do its coming in the mail tomorrow and I can't wait to see if it backs up its hype
LostCause
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Previous

Return to Tech Support