Cooling fans

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Cooling fans

Postby Arlos » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:17 pm

In my PC at this point, I have a couple fans that seem to be running a bit ragged. I can hear them slow down and speed up at random intervals, and the one in my power supply sometimes needs me to whack the grill by its exhaust grill before it'll start spinning up properly.

What's the best way to deal with them? Obviously I'd prefer not to replace my entire power supply over its integral fan, and while I can, I suppose, replace the fan that is bolted to the radiator for the water cooling system, I'd prefer not to if it can be helped.

I have made sure they're not choking on dust mats or something, but I think my next step is going to be to try hitting the motor area with some WD-40 after a few shots of canned air to make sure it's dust-free.

Anyone have any other suggestions? (oh, and please note that the temp of the case & CPU are within reasonable values even with the fans being flaky, so I'm not in imminent danger of a meltdown)

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Cooling fans

Postby Tossica » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:19 pm

I'd say, yes to the canned air, no to the WD40.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:24 pm

And if the canned air doesn't solve the speed-up/slow-down problem of the fan on the radiator, or the fan in the power supply spinning up properly?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:48 pm

Arlos wrote:And if the canned air doesn't solve the speed-up/slow-down problem of the fan on the radiator, or the fan in the power supply spinning up properly?

-Arlos

If you have multiple fans failing it might be a voltage issue. Dunno. Replacing the fans is the way to go if it's not your PS. They are cheap and shouldn't be too hard although I am not familiar with your cooling system.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:53 pm

Well, one of the fans IS in the power supply, so it's not easy to replace, unfortunately. I don't think it's likely to be a power issue, as I've got a 650 W Antec power supply, and it's only running 2 cards. (a GeForce 7800 and a SoundBlaster X-Fi). Well, plus the hard drive and 2 optical drives, but still, that should be vastly more than enough power, I would think, since I'm not running SLI, nor do I have like an 8800 in there, which I know is a power hog.

The cooling system is a Coolermaster water cooling system, not sure what model unfortunately. The fan does look reasonably generic, though it is wired to a knob to control the fan speed.

So why wouldn't you try the WD-40 idea?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:16 pm

use just a drop or two of household oil.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Evermore » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:27 am

WD-40 isnt only a lubrication its a penetrating oil. which means it has additives that dry up and leaves a nasty film behind which also tends to dry up whatever lub is already present. Plus it conducts electricity so it can short out your fan.

I believe Antec sells fans for their supplies and they are not real difficult to replace. I don't know about the one on the radiator thou. I would go with Toss on that one

lithium is the best if you can find it in a spray
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Ndaara » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:03 pm

My understanding of WD 40 is, it's a solvent, not a lubricant. So while you can use it to dissolve crap (wonderful for getting stickers off stuff!) it doesn't do a very good job of lubricating (i.e., it's only temporary lube). You would need an actual lubricant, although I'm not uptodate on current computer fan lubes, Household 3-in-1 oil is what we have around here (little red and white and black can with a spout on top, makes a fun oil can sound when you squeeze it). I think that's the same thing Evermore said?

My past philosophy for fixing things was so simple: If it moves and it shouldn't, apply Duct Tape. If it should move and doesn't, apply WD 40. Then I got a lecture from my car mechanic. I really liked it better before.
Ndaara
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Evermore » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:37 am

Ndaara wrote:My understanding of WD 40 is, it's a solvent, not a lubricant. So while you can use it to dissolve crap (wonderful for getting stickers off stuff!) it doesn't do a very good job of lubricating (i.e., it's only temporary lube). You would need an actual lubricant, although I'm not uptodate on current computer fan lubes, Household 3-in-1 oil is what we have around here (little red and white and black can with a spout on top, makes a fun oil can sound when you squeeze it). I think that's the same thing Evermore said?

My past philosophy for fixing things was so simple: If it moves and it shouldn't, apply Duct Tape. If it should move and doesn't, apply WD 40. Then I got a lecture from my car mechanic. I really liked it better before.

it is. you just explained the additives i mentioned better. btw there is a spray out there called PB or Penetrating blaster. MUCH better then WD - 40 for removing stuff. not a lube either.

btw HI Ndaara how u been?
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Ganzo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:35 pm

if your fans plugged directly into power supply and not mobo controlled, it sounds like power supply issue to me, just because you got 650W don't mean it's not failing, test out actual output not what manual says it outputs
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Return to Tech Support