Vista and gaming

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Vista and gaming

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:30 am

I can get vista for 20 bucks at work so I was thinking of making the jump at home. Anyone had any discrepancies with gaming and Vista? The only old game I'd be playing on it would be EQ1. Everything else would be Oblivion or newer.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Re: Vista and gaming

Postby Evermore » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:32 am

i have never bothered to try gaming with vista. i hate it.

one day Microcrap will learn that users do not work in operating systems they work in applications.
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Martrae » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:43 am

I haven't had any issues with it playing EQ2.

In fact I haven't had any Vista issues at all.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:56 am

Reynaldo wrote:I can get vista for 20 bucks at work so I was thinking of making the jump at home. Anyone had any discrepancies with gaming and Vista? The only old game I'd be playing on it would be EQ1. Everything else would be Oblivion or newer.

Dual Boot, and test it. For 20 bucks, I'd say sure. There are some nice features, and it has some advancements.

Generally for gaming it is slower than XP.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:22 am

lyion wrote:
Reynaldo wrote:I can get vista for 20 bucks at work so I was thinking of making the jump at home. Anyone had any discrepancies with gaming and Vista? The only old game I'd be playing on it would be EQ1. Everything else would be Oblivion or newer.

Dual Boot, and test it. For 20 bucks, I'd say sure. There are some nice features, and it has some advancements.

Generally for gaming it is slower than XP.

I agree with lyion here

for 20 bucks, you can't lose

when i bought my laptop, it came with XP and vista

I uninstalled vista within 4 days, and went back to XP, fwiw

now that SP1 for vista is coming out, I MAY give it another try, but I kinda doubt it. like was said above

widgets and shit are neat, but if you're looking at your desktop all the time, you're already doing something wrong
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:31 am

It also depends on which version of Vista you're running. Ultimate is the only one that's really stable.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:58 am

Martrae wrote:It also depends on which version of Vista you're running. Ultimate is the only one that's really stable.

That's not true. They are all stable, they are just bloated pigs.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:13 am

Tossica wrote:
Martrae wrote:It also depends on which version of Vista you're running. Ultimate is the only one that's really stable.

That's not true. They are all stable, they are just bloated pigs.

Exactly. The footprints for the Vista installs by and large are much bigger, plus they absorb all the system memory and use it to try to be more proactive, which is good and bad. The problem is, the busier and more active a system is, the less horsepower it has for single tasks. For a Quad Core with 4 Gigs of RAM and an 8800 GTX, this generally won't effect someone. For someone with a 3800+ with an older ATI card, they'll game 30-50% slower on Vista than XP. For some that's fine, for others, it's not.

Also, there is almost no difference between the versions, once you get above basic. I'd guess you can't even tell what Ultimate has over Home Premium, Mar.

I have Vista dual booting on my desktop, but by and large stick with XP. It's more stable, games faster, and there's really nothing on Vista that interests me save the voice stuff, which is neat, but not overtly useful to me.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:14 am

If by stable you mean a steaming pile of shit.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:29 am

/shrug

Kahar had no choice but to upgrade to Vista for work and I got to listen to his endless moaning about the different versions and how ultimate was the only one that didn't give him constant problems. I base my statement upon this and the fact that I haven't had a single error with ultimate since I installed it but hear people bitching all the time about the other versions.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:42 am

Martrae wrote:/shrug

Kahar had no choice but to upgrade to Vista for work and I got to listen to his endless moaning about the different versions and how ultimate was the only one that didn't give him constant problems. I base my statement upon this and the fact that I haven't had a single error with ultimate since I installed it but hear people bitching all the time about the other versions.

Ultimate is the same exact OS but with the added features of Media Center and bit locking. I think that's about it.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:46 am

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... hoose.mspx

premium and ultimate both have media center included
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:13 pm

Tossica wrote:
Martrae wrote:/shrug

Ultimate is the same exact OS but with the added features of Media Center and bit locking. I think that's about it.

Yep, and MS would never mess up something adding and removing components for different versions...
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:41 pm

there's virtually no difference in stability between different versions
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:07 pm

Oh ok...I'll be sure to pass that along to them members of my guild that have Vista problems. They'll be relieved to know their copies of premium that give them problems and crash them all the time are exactly the same as mine which is stable as a house.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Narrock » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:20 pm

what game are you playing Mar? And what server?
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Martrae » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:56 pm

EQ2...Butcherblock server.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:36 pm

Martrae wrote:Oh ok...I'll be sure to pass that along to them members of my guild that have Vista problems. They'll be relieved to know their copies of premium that give them problems and crash them all the time are exactly the same as mine which is stable as a house.

Oh, and they all have exactly the same hardware, driver revisions, software installed etc as you do?

Driver instability is the number one cause of "crashes", not the OS. Load up a flaky driver on your Linux box or your Mac and see how that goes for ya. Windows may suck at recovering from crashes but that is not going to vary from one "version" of Vista to another.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:20 pm

I hear nothing but problems and headaches from people who are running Vista. Windows XP Pro has always been stable for me, and I never have problems with it.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:20 pm

Personally, if I DO go to Vista, it won't be until at the very least they have the first Service Pack out.

Since I don't have a DX10 card anyway, though, there is no compelling reason for me to upgrade.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Narrock » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:46 pm

I'll buy Vista as soon as the bugs are worked out.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Harrison » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:43 pm

Arlos wrote:Personally, if I DO go to Vista, it won't be until at the very least they have the first Service Pack out.

Since I don't have a DX10 card anyway, though, there is no compelling reason for me to upgrade.

-Arlos

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... n#filelist

So far I've heard three friends install this and need to reinstall vista. lol
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:52 am

Tossica wrote:
Martrae wrote:Oh ok...I'll be sure to pass that along to them members of my guild that have Vista problems. They'll be relieved to know their copies of premium that give them problems and crash them all the time are exactly the same as mine which is stable as a house.

Oh, and they all have exactly the same hardware, driver revisions, software installed etc as you do?

Driver instability is the number one cause of "crashes", not the OS. Load up a flaky driver on your Linux box or your Mac and see how that goes for ya. Windows may suck at recovering from crashes but that is not going to vary from one "version" of Vista to another.

Linux boxes don't BSOD and rarely crash. Mac's come with pre-supported hardware. You pay extra, but it's due to not having to worry about your OS not working, like it will with Windows.

The number one reason Windows crashes is due to Windows. If a driver doesn't work, then that shouldn't crash ones OS, unless the OS is poorly designed. I've had bad video cards in Linux where I've come out of multi user to single user, and seen the dump file. Then I manually shut down and replace. In Windows, you get the BSOD and boom.

Martrae, there is no difference between Premium and Ultimate, except some promised additional content. Stop arguing this, as it really is making you look bad here. Microsoft has stated this over and over.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:39 am

especially when all you do is make some changes in the registry to change your basic vista to ultimate
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:49 am

Ahhhh...I didn't know MS had stated it over and over again. That changes everything.

I retract my statement on that basis.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Next

Return to Tech Support