Most recent drivers for 7800GT

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Most recent drivers for 7800GT

Postby Gypsiyee » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:38 pm

So I downloaded the newest driver for the 7800GT, and CoH won't load for me with it. I rolled the driver back but the game runs really shit and slow for some reason - I can't really understand why because in the past the game has been super quick, no lag.. like WoW. WoW still runs smooth as silk with either driver, the problem seems to lie with CoH.

Any ideas?
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Re: Most recent drivers for 7800GT

Postby Harrison » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:38 pm

Complete uninstall and reinstall the most recent stable drivers.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gypsiyee » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:59 pm

Did that, twice.. doesn't seem to be working.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Narrock » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:12 am

CoH as in Company of Heroes? That game sucks major ass.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:16 am

No, I think she means City of Heroes, the superhero MMO.

About all I can suggest is to see if you get similar slow performance in games other than COH and WOW. If everything works except for COH, you've at least isolated the source of the problem, and you can work with their tech support on the issue.

Not knowing tons about COH I ask this question: Is there a file or directory for cached images/textures/etc? I know EQ did that and WOW does as well. Could be that there's enough difference in the latest version of the driver that it doesn't like the old cached stuff. In which case, if you wipe out the cache and let it re-load everything, you might get the speed back.

Other than that idea, I can't think of anything.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Martrae » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:20 am

That's the problem with nvidia. Reverting to an older driver or uninstalling it completely is a major hassle.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:58 am

Martrae wrote:That's the problem with nvidia. Reverting to an older driver or uninstalling it completely is a major hassle.

Actually it's much easier than ATI, which installs a sleuth of crap and spyware on your PC.

I'd get a driver cleaner and install an older driver. Sometimes newer drivers have strange results with older games like COH.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Martrae » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:12 am

Lyion wrote:
Martrae wrote:That's the problem with nvidia. Reverting to an older driver or uninstalling it completely is a major hassle.

Actually it's much easier than ATI, which installs a sleuth of crap and spyware on your PC.

I'd get a driver cleaner and install an older driver. Sometimes newer drivers have strange results with older games like COH.

You say to-may-to, I say to-ma-to. I've never had any issues with removing ATI drivers. Nvidia have been nothing but trouble. Only formatting the bloody system was a sure way of getting them off.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gypsiyee » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:07 pm

Yes, it was only with CoH. As far as the cache, this was a complete reinstall. I removed all the old stuff a few years ago.

I've never had any problems with Nvidia.. ATI I've had heaps of problems with over the years. I don't think this is an nvidia problem

either way tho, my trial ran out and I didn't upgrade because my computer is always occupied anyway :p
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Naethyn » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:31 am

Narrock wrote:CoH as in Company of Heroes? That game sucks major ass.

Try one of the best RTS ever made! The only reason it didn't win this years botb rts for me is because of WiC. But WiC is really on it's own playing field.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Return to Tech Support