VGA vs DVI

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

VGA vs DVI

Postby Naethyn » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:37 am

So I've been running on a VGA connection at 720x1080 on my 27" widescreen at a 16:9 aspect ratio for the last two years. Last week I finally decided to order a DVI cable because they are so cheap on amazon.

Anyways, I plugged it in and I noticed my entire screen wasn't fitting. I changed the Aspect ratio to 1:1 and it looks GREAT. The colors look more vibrant and the text is far easier to read. I always thought that there was no difference between DVI or VGA, but this has clearly shown me otherwise.

And just to test I tried plugging in my VGA cable again and setting it to 1:1 aspect ratio and it did not fit everything on the screen. Not sure what this means, but in any case DVI is far superior.

Oh and ps my graphics card only outputs DVI which I had a converter for the VGA cable. The VGA cable plugged into the VGA port on the monitor.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Re: VGA vs DVI

Postby Tossica » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:48 am

Lots of factors to consider. I assume you are talking about your PC but it's not clear if your display is an LCD TV or monitor.

You can get a great picture through a VGA connection but it depends on your vid card settings and what your display supports.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: VGA vs DVI

Postby Tossica » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:14 am

Naethyn wrote:So I've been running on a VGA connection at 720x1080 on my 27" widescreen at a 16:9 aspect ratio for the last two years. Last week I finally decided to order a DVI cable because they are so cheap on amazon.

Anyways, I plugged it in and I noticed my entire screen wasn't fitting. I changed the Aspect ratio to 1:1 and it looks GREAT. The colors look more vibrant and the text is far easier to read. I always thought that there was no difference between DVI or VGA, but this has clearly shown me otherwise.

And just to test I tried plugging in my VGA cable again and setting it to 1:1 aspect ratio and it did not fit everything on the screen. Not sure what this means, but in any case DVI is far superior.

Oh and ps my graphics card only outputs DVI which I had a converter for the VGA cable. The VGA cable plugged into the VGA port on the monitor.

1.1 pixel mapping is a function of the display itself, not the type of connection. As long as you set your resolution to one that your display supports, you should be able to to 1.1 pixel mapping through VGA as well.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Return to Tech Support