New System

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

New System

Postby Diekan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:09 am

So, as I said in a different post I am building a new system. Just ordered the parts.

AMD 6400 3.2 gig (Dual Core).
4 gigs of RAM (PC2 6400)
XFX GeForce 8800GT
ASUS MB with 1 gig FSB.
Seagate 250 gig HD @ 7200 rpm (I downgraded from the 750 gig).

I *think* this setup will be enough to run pretty much any game at full settings.

Here's my question... EQ 2 seems more dependant on CPU than it does GPU... and it seems that it only uses 1 core (can't or wont use the dual core technology) - which is why I went 3.2 gigs...

Anyway - I want to play in extreme - do you all think the 8800GT will allow me to do this?

I looked at the reviews for the GTX and GT and I have to say... I have NEVER seen so much conflicting information. Even the benchmarks differ from one site to another.

I went GT because of price... I just hope I didn't choose wrong.

p.s. I got a 500watt PS with it - that should be enough, no?
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Re: New System

Postby Phlegm » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:13 am

The 9800 are out. Go get extreme with one of them.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Diekan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:23 am

I wish...

But from what I'm reading it's less about the vid card and more about RAM and the CPU of a system where EQ II is concerned.

I am just curious if the 8800 GT is going to let me play with everything turned all way the up in EQ II is all.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Martrae » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:24 pm

p.s. I got a 500watt PS with it - that should be enough, no?

Kahar says "I would recommend at least a 700watt. It's better to go overkill on this than under. If you're cutting it close on power you can burn out your ps faster."
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby numatu » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:02 pm

What are you looking to spend? I'm not familiar with EQ2's system requirements for extreme setting, but from eyeballing your post here's a few thoughts:

You mentioned EQ2 might be more CPU/RAM dependent. Your AMD 6400 is getting toward the old side in terms of architecture, it will use much more power and produce more heat with less performance than a new Core2Duo E8400 which costs around 30 or 40$ more depending on where you comparison shop. That said, I'd be surprised if the AMD 6400 isn't more than enough for EQ2.

Also, the 8800GT uses the new G92 chip that is used in the 9 series cards that have been released so far. The 8800GT is a great value card for price/performance and should run EQ2 great. The next step up would be an 8800GTS (512mb) that also uses the G92 but has a bit more firepower. The 9 series single GPU's so far aren't much of an upgrade, and most likely won't be, until Nvidia releases the later 9 series cards with their new chip (the 9900 series).

The power supply is something I wouldn't skimp on at all costs. Is your 500w a brand name or generic? If it's generic, I'd recommend a solid ~750w power supply from a solid name such as PCPower&Cooling (my personal favorite), OCZ (which recently bought PCP&C), Antec, etc. A crappy (cheaply made) power supply can really bork your system.
numatu
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Tossica » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:02 pm

Diekan wrote:I wish...

But from what I'm reading it's less about the vid card and more about RAM and the CPU of a system where EQ II is concerned.

I am just curious if the 8800 GT is going to let me play with everything turned all way the up in EQ II is all.

I found RAM to have a more dramatic effect on cranking up details than anything else. EQII runs just fine on my dual core laptop with a cheap NVidia chipset and 2GB of ram.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Return to Tech Support