Anyone do a lot of throughput testing?

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Anyone do a lot of throughput testing?

Postby Tikker » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm

I'm updating some of our testing procedures and documentation at work, and I'm not really thrilled with what I have to work with. Does anyone here do any testing of this nature?

what tools do you use? what kind of tests do you do, statistics do you collect?
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Re: Anyone do a lot of throughput testing?

Postby Naethyn » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:34 am

perfmon

Powershell has a lot of neat tests also.

We do a lot of mass scale server throughput testing for disk space, memory allocation etc. Powershell is a great tool as it can use the .net framework to access namespaces such as WMI.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394252(VS.85).aspx
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:10 am

I guess I should have been a bit more specific, sorry

This is for a networking environment, probably 80% Cisco, 20% Alcatel

I need something that will scale from 100mb circuits all the way up to 10GBPS (OC192)

it'll need to support L2TP,Vlans (obviously), IPv4/IPv6, etc etc
We're currently using IXIA test sets, but at $100k+ per card it's not really something we can roll out en masse
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby vonkaar » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 am

If it has to examine sonet up to 10gig the price is going to hurt, no way around it. Chariot can... up to 1gig and simulate multiple user streams and packet sizes. But to look inside a carrier size circuit like an OC192, the test equipment can easily run higher than $100k per test set.

But... really... unless you ARE the carrier, there's probably no reason to own that kind of equipment. You'd be better served to contract it out for audit validation or just trust the SLA report that your carrier sends you when you tell them that they're not meeting it.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby vonkaar » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:13 am

However... depending on what you want to see, Netflow might provide the appropriate benchmark. The alcatel gear is probably media gateways not routers, yeah? So the route points could feed netflow stats to a netflow collector (much cheaper). But... it's hard to say netflow is right tool without knowing what needs to be tested.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Arlos » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:16 am

Tikker works for a major Canadian Telcom and ISP. Think SBC equivalent. So yes, they ARE the carrier.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:30 am

vonkaar wrote:However... depending on what you want to see, Netflow might provide the appropriate benchmark. The alcatel gear is probably media gateways not routers, yeah?

nope, we're talking about 7750's, 7450's, etc etc

and yes, like arlos said, we're the ISP

long story short, we're now offering 10gbps LAN connections, and I'm somewhat struggling to come up with testing procedures. Mostly because it's not a very common service anywhere yet, and there's really not a lot of test gear out there
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tossica » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:05 am

Tikker wrote:
vonkaar wrote:However... depending on what you want to see, Netflow might provide the appropriate benchmark. The alcatel gear is probably media gateways not routers, yeah?

nope, we're talking about 7750's, 7450's, etc etc

and yes, like arlos said, we're the ISP

long story short, we're now offering 10gbps LAN connections, and I'm somewhat struggling to come up with testing procedures. Mostly because it's not a very common service anywhere yet, and there's really not a lot of test gear out there

10 GIG connections?
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:16 am

Sorry I'm no help on this Tikk, biggest circuit I ever had to test was a DS3, and that I did in conjunction with Bell South. That and I'm kinda rusty witht he latest gear from being out of the game for a while.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:23 am

Tossica wrote:
10 GIG connections?

yup

these are multi-premise LAN connections, not pipes to the internet

it's a way for say, insurance companies with multiple offices to link all their databases, terminals, etc

we just started offering that this summer

previously most stuff was in the 100mb/1gb range
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby vonkaar » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:32 am

Do you want to validate that the circuit can transmit 10g? What item are you wanting to measure? Bandwidth/throughput? What is the protocal on the carrier infrastructure... like, not what you are delivering, but what the backbone runs on?
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Tikker » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:42 pm

vonkaar wrote:Do you want to validate that the circuit can transmit 10g?

Yes, that's basically step 1

vonkaar wrote: What item are you wanting to measure? Bandwidth/throughput?

throughput is essentially all we're really testing for right now. ability to do L2TP is the other. I was mostly curious if anyone else is testing other parameters

vonkaar wrote: What is the protocal on the carrier infrastructure... like, not what you are delivering, but what the backbone runs on?

IP

I'm not really sure exactly what you're asking in this last one. Virtually everything these days is Ethernet. there's not much ATM left, or frame relay
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby vonkaar » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:07 pm

sorry, forgot about this post...

layer 2 protocol, so... ethernet

I'm asking a buddy @ AT&T all of this so... I'll get back to you.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Return to Tech Support