Crackberry?

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Crackberry?

Postby Eziekial » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:49 am

So I've started a new opportunity as a recruiter and I noticed all the other kids are walking around with crackberries of some sort. I've had my Motorola V2 Razor phone with Metro PCS for just over a year and I've never had an issue with it but I can't check email and it's limited in terms of web connection and info it can store. Here is my issue: I'm spending $55/month and it includes unlimited calls and texts. I really don't want to jump on the crackberry bandwagon but I dont see an alternative. What's the "best" crackberry? Who has the best service in terms of phone clarity (I've hear some phone sux to talk on) and data speed. I've combed the major carriers for their info but they all claim to be superior. What's your real world experience? Thanks in advance.
Eziekial
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Re: Crackberry?

Postby Tossica » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:59 am

First of all, fuck Blackberries. Fuck Palm based devices as well. Get an iphone, a G1 or a Windows Mobile based device. There are too many pros and cons to each to list so I'd suggest going to each of the providers and demoing their newest latest devices. ATT is Iphone, Verizon is rolling out the HTC Touch Pro soon which looks SWEET!. T-Mobile has the G1 and Sprint has the Touch Pro as well.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Naethyn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:27 am

I've done a lot of software development for the windows mobile .net platform. I've used quite a few phones and by far the best one is the treo 650. The biggest advantage is the ability to do everything on the phone without having to use the stylus at all. The center pad is basically a D pad from a controller and the two buttons under the screen work as ok or cancel buttons. The software I wrote was designed to take advantage of these buttons.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo650/
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Eziekial » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:29 am

The 650 is obsolete, what's your take on newer models?
Eziekial
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Naethyn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:59 am

The .net platform runs on windows mobile and i'm a .net fanboi.

I've not used the new phones. I got a new job since I worked on the 650. I like the windows mobile platform better then blackberry, but it all comes down to the device. If the device is good the software can suck and it can still be great. If the device sucks it doesn't matter how good the software is.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tossica » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:18 am

Naethyn wrote:I've done a lot of software development for the windows mobile .net platform. I've used quite a few phones and by far the best one is the treo 650. The biggest advantage is the ability to do everything on the phone without having to use the stylus at all. The center pad is basically a D pad from a controller and the two buttons under the screen work as ok or cancel buttons. The software I wrote was designed to take advantage of these buttons.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo650/

The Treo 650 is a fucking pile of shit.

We deployed about 2500 of them at a previous job and had 10% of them in for service at ALL times. Nightmare.

Tons of phones have that same functionality so don't buy a 650. Palm devices are garbage. Stay far away.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:38 am

we're a pretty big blackberry shop here

if you need actual push email, they're great

if you really want to be the cool kid on the block, keep your cell phone, and also pickup an OQO 02 ;)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Eziekial » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:09 pm

I could care less about being the "cool kid" I just don't want to be left behind as technology marches on like the guy who refuses to by a laptop because he still has a perfectly good typewriter at home....
Eziekial
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tossica » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:39 pm

If you go Verizon, get an XV6900. They are fairly cheap, a built well and lots of useful features.

http://www.xv6900.com/

The one I was going to wait for but got too impatient is this one:

http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchpro/overview.html
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Evermore » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:59 pm

For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity