Fedora 10 + MythTV

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Fedora 10 + MythTV

Postby Tikker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:03 am

experimenting with a new load of this in an attempt to be able to watch/record live TV without a capture card

long story short, I get true IPTV and I'd like to just capture via ethernet, rather than via an analogue hardware capture card (which isn't terrible, but not as geekcool)

built the box last night

I have to admit, the Fedora install went about smoothly as an OS install could

Just hit go, set some really basic stuff(time zone and language) and 35ish minutes later I had a fully functioning box

mythtv is going to be a whole other ball of wax, but the OS portion went great
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Re: Fedora 10 + MythTV

Postby vonkaar » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:03 am

I shall google this concept and get back to you. Sounds very interesting.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Tikker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:11 am

there's not much to google, and it's technically not crazy difficult

you just need to clone the MAC and client_ID from the set top box onto your mythbox, then capture the multicast addresses/ports and map them to your guide data

the cloning of the MAC/client_ID is required for authentication by the DSLAM ACL. it won't pass the IGMP joins to the stream otherwise

you lose some of the middleware functionality of your set top boxes (pay per view, video on demand, etc) but should end up with flawless tv unencumbered by compression artifacts
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby vonkaar » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:30 am

Well, I've had a pretty good media pc setup for the past few years... just using vanilla windows xp media center. My only complaint is the lack of HD. My home server has 6Tb of storage and I have about 2 filled with movies and music. I was thinking of upgrading to a Vista media center sometime, but I really wanted to figure out how to get HD content on this. If I'm watching a big game, I have to choose between 'replay' functionality and high-def. Movies display just fine, but... live content... no go.

Sooo... how does this work out in the HD world?
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Tikker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:06 am

you can get HD capture cards now (hauppauge hd-pvr)

you just can't use windows media center (which is what I am also switching from)

supposedly windows 7 will support HD Capture, but xp nor vista will

SageTV, Myth, GB-PVR and media portal all do it

what I'm doing is also going to be pretty much specific to my ISP, altho the theory may work with someone on fios, but I'm not sure
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby vonkaar » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:16 am

I gots FIOS. I'm just looking for something new, I guess =). I love Media Center's TV guide format... so if any of the competitors have anything similar, I'll check it out. Throw it up on a VM and giveitago.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Tossica » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:29 am

Nerds!
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:21 pm

yes

there's something satisfying about building whole house multicast system tho, so that you can do multi room audio, video, slideshows, whatever
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:55 pm

how do you mount a windows drive onto a linux box?

I basically want to accomplish same thing as if I was mapping a network drive in windows
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gidan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:24 pm

mount -t smbfs -o username=name,password=password //machinename/sharename /MOUNTPOINT
or
mount -t cifs -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD //machinename/sharename /MOUNTPOINT

example

mount -t cifo -o username=administrator,password=123456 //windows/movies /usr/local/movies

You can probably skip the type section (-t cifs/smbfs) since in most situations by using // in the mount statement, cifs or smbfs will be assumed by mount

Also if you do not have a password you can get away with this

mount -o password= //machinename/share /mountpoint

If you want the mount point to mount on boot, add the following to your /etc/fstab

//machinenane/share /mountpoint smbfs passwd=,rw 0 0
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Nusk » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:54 pm

actually XP can support hd but vista wont
Nusk
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Tikker » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:47 pm

Nusk wrote:actually XP can support hd but vista wont

show me how you can do it in XP, cause frankly I don't believe you at all ;)

(i would be more than happy to be wrong tho!)

and last week I think, someone actually put together a hack to allow the HD-PVR to be used in vista
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:51 pm

ps fuck fedora

I've switched to Ubuntu to try and make this a bit of an easier transition
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gidan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:00 am

Let me know how the ubuntu myth box works out. I have more or less given on a PVR and just use the DVR in my cable box and use a PS3 as a UPNP client with a mediatomb backend running on gentoo which hosts all my movies and music fairly well. I am always looking to play with something new though. Its been years since I played with mythtv and its probably improved since then.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:11 am

I'm not sure

Myth is incredibly unintuitive

some of the stuff they do is just dumb
for instance, for movie playback, they build a default around mplayer, but don't bother to list mplayer as a dependency, so it's not installed, unless you do it manually

(if they left the player field blank, you'd at least know you need to go install something and configure it)

I'm still slowing getting it going, but I'm finding it pretty primitive so far compared to SageTV, windows Media Center, or Media Portal

that being said, I'm really not minding ubuntu so far
by far the best documentation of any of the linux variants that I've seen
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Return to Tech Support