Router

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Router

Postby baddwin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:08 pm

Howdy, i was wondering is there a way to reduce the bandwith someone is taking on a router. The problem is when someone on the same network (at home) is downloading (torrent ....) the speed of the other's user are decreasing. Is it something easy to adjust or its only available on certain model of router?
baddwin
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Re: Router

Postby Naethyn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:11 pm

I'm not sure how to configure the router to do this. If they are running Vista you can cap the upload and/or download speed of a network connection in windows firewall.

You can also cap the speed of a specific application.
Last edited by Naethyn on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby vonkaar » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Some routers have per-port throttling... though, not many have that anymore.
You can also set QoS on many routers, which allows you to set an ultra-low priority on bittorrent traffic. What kind of router do you own?
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby baddwin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:11 pm

Its a Dlink, its not mine but the one of a friend (don't know the model).. I have make more search and there some option for traffic shapping that let you do some priority of specific traffic. There are some software you can install that will do check quantity and ajust the DL UL to the speed you want.

I know they buy the router not long ago (few week's) and they payed alot 100+ (canadian dollar!!!!)
baddwin
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Gidan » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:35 pm

See if you can get a model number. QoS is going to be your best bet if its available. If you set a really low priority on torrent traffic, then the router will will give standard traffic a higher priority. This will allow the normal traffic to go through at the expense of the torrent traffic.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:53 pm

As others have mentioned, QoS is the way to go
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby baddwin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:00 pm

D-Link N Router Model # DIR-655 is the model
baddwin
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Harrison » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:04 pm

This is of course assuming the bottleneck is at the router and not your connection in general.

I would almost be willing to bet my life that your connection is asynchronous and is throttling your upload. When someone is torrenting and they reach that cap, it will fuck over almost anything that needs even a little upload bandwidth.

I may be wrong. Your router might be the issue...
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby baddwin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:26 pm

They just bought this router, the ISP compagny have made test and it was all ok. They suggested to change the router as it could be the problem. But nothing have change, they still have slow connection, that why i suggested to find a way to reduce the P2P and other downlaod applications.

I have read the manuel, the router have a wizard to create rule for P2P and game.
baddwin
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Tikker » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:37 pm

well
It could be what harrison is suggesting as well

with some consumer routers (and all real routers) you can throttle each port on the box to certain speeds

let's say you have 5 mbps down, and 1mpbs upload speeds

if someone is uploading at full 1mpbs it's going to essentially kill your download speed (tcp requires ack's to be sent back, and if they can't get thru, the far end interprets it as a slow down, and sends stuff slower. aka, your download speed goes to shit)

make sure the people you live with are limiting their uploads, or if your shitty Dlink can do it, throttle the shit out of the physical port they're plugged into
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby baddwin » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:46 pm

Thx, i will suggest this simple config on there download software to test.
baddwin
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Harrison » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Ask whoever it is doing the download to limit their upload on their specific BT client to 10kb/s

Utorrent has global limits that can be easily used. I haven't used anything else in a long time, so you'd have to look for anything similar in others on your own.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:25 pm

you don't even have to throttle that much, to be honest

as long as you've got 10-20% of your upload available, that's tons of room for download acks to be sent back
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gidan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:33 pm

On that specific router, under the advanced tab select QoS. In the first few sections set a high priority to port 80 as this is your web traffic as well as any other traffic you want to have priority on your network. You can stop there or if you want to be more specific, find the ports that the torrent software is using and add that as well with a very low priority.

This will allow torrent traffic to go through at high speed unless anyother type of traffic that has a higher priority needs the bandwidth, then it will allow that traffic through first.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby baddwin » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:07 am

Thx for you time, i will pass the info and wait to see how it goes.

:arms:
baddwin
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Return to Tech Support