Basic laptop advice?

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Basic laptop advice?

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:07 am

so my boss has me on a mission to find him a laptop - he doesn't need much in the way of performance as he won't use it for much but spreadsheets/email/etc, but the one thing that is really important to him is a large screen - he wants 17" or bigger. I haven't dabbled much, I figured I'd stop here first. the first thing that came to my mind was one of those dell studios - like I said, he's very basic, so he doesn't need a monster. low cost, efficient, large screen, that's it.

any ideas or preferences?
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Re: Basic laptop advice?

Postby Naethyn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:16 am

I really like my HP dv9000. Works well and has the full numpad key. (which is huge if you do a lot of spreadsheet work)
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:33 am

well, typing speed definitely won't be a concern - he types maybe 5 wpm, haha. data entry isn't much better ;)
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby vonkaar » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:38 am

I have a dv9000 as well and I love it.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby leah » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:09 pm

i love my toshiba satellite, but it is awfully high-performance (or at least, it was when i got it hehe) as i got it as a desktop replacement. alex just got a new one, though--you should check out his thread and see if that does you any good.

anyway, i've had nothing but good experiences with peenalope (my satellite). my mom has one, too, which i think is what made me choose mine--hers is easy to use and really attractive. it's smaller, though; i bought mine with a full 17-inch screen and numpad. i don't think i could live without a numpad, hehe . . . my work laptop doesn't have one and it drives me bonkers.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Gidan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:18 pm

Cant believe I am going to say this, but the best 17" laptop on the market at this time would be the 17-inch MacBook Pro. The Sony VAIO VGN-FW11ZU is also a decent laptop. If you are looking lower priced Satellite L350-ST3701 is also decent.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Foutty » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:30 pm

I have an HP and a Dell, both 17 inch. The HP blows the Dell away in every way. Oh, and beware the Dell power adapter's break in about a 8 - 10 months time and will no longer charge the battery.
Foutty
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby brinstar » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:26 pm

Gidan wrote:Cant believe I am going to say this, but the best 17" laptop on the market at this time would be the 17-inch MacBook Pro. The Sony VAIO VGN-FW11ZU is also a decent laptop. If you are looking lower priced Satellite L350-ST3701 is also decent.

mine is the VGN-FW378B/J and it fucking rocks

everything is gorgeous on this screen
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tikker » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:10 am

if you can get them there, Asus makes really decent laptops
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gypsiyee » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:50 am

I'd go macbook too, personally, but it's way too expensive and overkill for what he needs. He's looking for something pretty bare-bones, not looking to spend more than $800 or so.
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Blackdiam » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:39 am

I have a HP 9600 series 17" I play eq on with no problems
Blackdiam
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Nusk » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:16 pm

i should mention that i still get computer discounts (about 8%) through hp