IE 8

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

IE 8

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:53 pm

So I guess it is in RC or some shit, I didn't really look into it much but was sort of looking to the more cutting edge folks here that may have played with it.

From what I've heard MS it taunting the industry that this browser is top dog in the performance arena, seems like a pretty bold statement to me, especially coming from them.

Anyone give it a go?
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Re: IE 8

Postby Harrison » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:56 pm

I lost faith in MS with Vista and its absolutely horrid support across the board.

Vista x64 was decent from what I'm told but I didn't trust the source.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:07 pm

This is just the browser though, and I guess it is "available" and not just RC.
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Gidan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:01 pm

IE8 is suppose to have fixed a lot of the issues that plagued the earlier versions by improving upon what all the other browsers did better and implementing them within itself. However the one thing that really pushes Firefox ahead of the rest is the ability to install different addons which is something that did not get added into IE8. I personally wouldn't make the switch regardless of how much better it is simply because I have a few addons that I really couldn't live without right now.

If you have no use for addons, and your just the every day web users, IE8 may work very well for you. If your use to being able to massivly customize your browser to do what you need it to, then its not for you.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Harrison wrote:I lost faith in MS with Vista and its absolutely horrid support across the board.

Vista x64 was decent from what I'm told but I didn't trust the source.

The key to getting good support from a company is to actually PAY for their product you dipshit. MS has about the best support I've ever used in my 20+ year IT career.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Harrison » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:12 pm

Yeah, my experience with Vista was as the result of the programming knowing that I pirated it instead of wasting hundreds of dollars on it. :rolleyes:
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tossica » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:06 pm

Harrison wrote:Yeah, my experience with Vista was as the result of the programming knowing that I pirated it instead of wasting hundreds of dollars on it. :rolleyes:

How the FUCK are you going to steal a product and then complain about the support of said product?

Kids these days, sheesh.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Harrison » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:14 pm

I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars and find out it is indeed fucking garbage.

It may not be as bad now, but to ask that much for the piece of shit upon its release was absurd.

THEN tell you a new product will be out in 2 years or less. Fucking stupid.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby leah » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:42 pm

how is piracy/theft any more OK than other crimes? just curious. like, if it's OK to steal software in this instance, is it also OK to steal a low-grade car stereo from wal-mart just because you refuse to pay $75 for something you assume or know for a fact is crappy?

i'm not saying i'm perfect here--a huge percentage of the music on my computer is pirated. but you just seem so entitled here, and you spend a lot of time decrying other crimes such as minor drug use and what-have-you, that i have to ask how is this any different from some other small crime? i just don't think i would brag about it, is what i'm saying. i don't condemn you for pirating software, as i join the ranks of millions of guilty people, but i don't brag about it ever and act like it's some coup to download some music instead of paying for it. it's wrong, so i keep it to myself.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Harrison » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:52 pm

Copying information over the internet doesn't physically withdraw funds or damage a business or a person's livelihood in any way. It's all "projected" losses from potential. If by my clicking on a torrent I physically just stole X amount of dollars from a person or entity, then it would be wrong. If by simply downloading something their bank account was just depleted X, I would see a moral wrong being done.

$200+ for a piece of shit essentially in beta, because they know they can charge that and get away with it. They can suck my dick.

God, I remember how shitty XP was when it was first released too. Ugh...

Finish a fucking product before you release it and I might want to shell out hundreds of dollars.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:12 pm

thing is you don't get to decide what's legal or not lol

it's okay though, go on being a hypocrite
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Harrison » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:15 pm

No, hypocritical assholes dishing out millions of dollars in lobbying(cough payoffs cough) get to decide copyright law.

Thankfully it's starting to turn around with cases left and right going away from these assholes. (RIAA, MPAA, etc.)
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:59 pm

don't think we'll see you beat microsoft in a lawsuit there champ

but justify your crimes however you want
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Harrison » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:11 pm

Microsoft wouldn't get into a lawsuit. The bad publicity would hurt them more than "making a point" and they know that now.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:46 am

i didn't "steal" this bread, my family was hungry!
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Gidan » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 am

So, back on topic, has anyone actually tested out ie8 yet? I havn't gotten around to it, been to busy trying to get OSX installed on my dell.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:57 am

it's alright

browsers have all been kinda more of the same for a long time now.

I think IE8 will have a tough time replacing the retarded amount of plugins for firefox
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Other than the plugins, Firefox is losing its draw.

Firefox is getting increasingly slower too.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tossica » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:57 am

I went back to IE a long time ago. I gave Firefox a shot for a year or more and it got even more bloated and slower than IE. Chrome makes me nervous just because Google knows EVERYTHING about me. It's disturbing to see ads so closely matched to the content of my email correspondence. I can only imagine what they could see if you use their browser as well.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby ClakarEQ » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:30 pm

We've got a small test group here that are giving it a good run thru, tested several customer portals that have historically given us grief and it faired well. Right now we only have one issue regarding frames on a proprietary (most likely poorly written) corp. application.

Most of testers feedback has been really good, one of them was an IT guy who's historically been a firefox fanboi
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby baddwin » Mon May 11, 2009 10:25 am

You know i work as IT tech in a hospital. We have alot of software supplier that request to use IE 6 sp1 or 2. This force us to keep the older version as we can't get support most of the time for highest version. Alot of web application is not supported Fire Fox or other's browser.

For personel use, Fire Fox and all the nice other browser are fine, but when you face my position you need to keep up with MS. I hope one day the will put more standard so you can use the browser you really like. I am curious to about IE 8, i wonder if there as much bug as the release of version 7...
baddwin
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu May 14, 2009 12:15 pm

From the testing i've seen and worked on, IE8 is better in a lot of ways to ie7. if you have the chance, i'd update / upgrade and see how you like it :)
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby leah » Thu May 14, 2009 12:53 pm

IT just rolled out IE8 on our computers at work. so far i am indifferent. it really doesn't affect my uses at all :dunno:
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Return to Tech Support