anyone fiddled with rg6(coaxial cable) much?

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

anyone fiddled with rg6(coaxial cable) much?

Postby Tikker » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:52 pm

since my relocation, it's suddenly dawned on me that we don't yet offer IPTV here, so I have to actually install some coax for satellite

now there is a bunch of coax in the house already, previous owner had cable

I want to repurpose those wall jacks BUT I'm at a loss on how to tell which is which near the power box

if it was ethernet or cat5/4/3/etc I could just put tone on a pair, then use my butt-in to find it

I would assume there's some sort of toning tool for coax

anyone have any ideas?

I mean, I could just randomly plug cables in, and then just attach a tv and satellite receiver into each until I find it, but that just irritates me (that and my smallest tv is a 32" panel that I don't want to lug around if I don't have to)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Re: anyone fiddled with rg6(coaxial cable) much?

Postby Gidan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:57 pm

About 10 years ago when I was pulling coax, we rigged a toner up to plug into coax and just used it like we would on any phone jack.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: anyone fiddled with rg6(coaxial cable) much?

Postby ClakarEQ » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:06 am

Assuming you've got the slack in the cabling, and from what I understand you're trying to do, iirc the wire braid / shielding is cunductive, take the inner copper core, twist it with the external sheilding, and just continutiy test it.

I suppose an issue with that would be any spliters or what not that could give false positives on your test but if you've got all cables disconnected and you're looking to just find out what cable is where, then the test should work.
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Return to Tech Support