HDTV PC

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

HDTV PC

Postby Ganzo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:12 pm

So I've decided to put together a PC that I would use as Media Center for my TV, mostly to stream video from internet, plus watching downloaded movies/shows. My though was to build something simple, but I wanted to run it with HDMI cable to TV, so my question is how do I set up the sound and video to run to same HDMI connector in my PC, since it will be on stand alone Video Card.

Anyone know of any good white-ups on putting together simple webtv system?

Thanks
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Re: HDTV PC

Postby Drem » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:33 pm

there's no point. if you plug a computer in with your vga cable (unless your tv for some reason doesn't have a vga plug and that's why you're doing this hdmi thing) you should be able to set the proper resolution (for hdtv) in your nvidia control panel

then plug your sound directly into your sound system

i have the cheapest cheapo samsung 52" and it works fine. it just comes down to the encoding quality of whatever you're tryin to watch (things like hulu are perfect)

it's really easy
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:09 am

Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:30 am

Drem wrote:there's no point. if you plug a computer in with your vga cable (unless your tv for some reason doesn't have a vga plug and that's why you're doing this hdmi thing) you should be able to set the proper resolution (for hdtv) in your nvidia control panel

i have the cheapest cheapo samsung 52" and it works fine. it just comes down to the encoding quality of whatever you're tryin to watch (things like hulu are perfect)

it's really easy

You sure you don't mean DVI?

DVI is has the same video quality as HDMI just doesn't have the sound bundled together in 1 nice little cable. VGA for starters 1) does not have the quality or resolution that DVI has and 2) isn't available much anymore on newer video cards. I just bought a GeForce 450 which like a mid grade card and that has 2 DVI and 1 mini HDMI. No VGA.

Depending on what kind of TV you have, you might want to check if 1 of your HDMI slots has the option of also plugging in the red and white prong or 3.5mm stereo audio cables. On my TV (Sony Bravia) you could do that but only on the video 2 channel. At the time my video card only took DVI also and not HDMI while my TV had HDMI and no DVI so what I did was I took an HDMI cable, bought a little HDMI -> DVI converter so that I could plug it into my vid card then I got a 3.5mm stereo auxillary cable to go from my sound card to my tv and bam it's working perfect.

Since you're buying a whole new setup though, you might wanna check out the GeForce 450 card. It's like 130 bucks and it also has sound built in so just an HDMI cable would do the trick. DX11 card, good for gaming and has 1gb of video memory.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Ganzo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:22 am

Jay wrote:Since you're buying a whole new setup though, you might wanna check out the GeForce 450 card. It's like 130 bucks and it also has sound built in so just an HDMI cable would do the trick. DX11 card, good for gaming and has 1gb of video memory.

That sounds like a best option
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Tikker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:55 pm

Jay's talking out of his ass a bit

VGA and DVI are capable of producing exactly the same picture, one will be shipped digitally, one will be shipped analogue style

if you're just looking to do HTPC, and no gaming, you don't need to spend more than 50 bucks on a card

i've got ati 4350's in both my HTPCs, and they can do 1080p without breaking a sweat
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:18 pm

Jay wrote:
Drem wrote:there's no point. if you plug a computer in with your vga cable (unless your tv for some reason doesn't have a vga plug and that's why you're doing this hdmi thing) you should be able to set the proper resolution (for hdtv) in your nvidia control panel

it's really easy

You sure you don't mean DVI?

DVI is has the same video quality as HDMI just doesn't have the sound bundled together in 1 nice little cable. VGA for starters 1) does not have the quality or resolution that DVI has and 2) isn't available much anymore on newer video cards. I just bought a GeForce 450 which like a mid grade card and that has 2 DVI and 1 mini HDMI. No VGA.

Depending on what kind of TV you have, you might want to check if 1 of your HDMI slots has the option of also plugging in the red and white prong or 3.5mm stereo audio cables. On my TV (Sony Bravia) you could do that but only on the video 2 channel. At the time my video card only took DVI also and not HDMI while my TV had HDMI and no DVI so what I did was I took an HDMI cable, bought a little HDMI -> DVI converter so that I could plug it into my vid card then I got a 3.5mm stereo auxillary cable to go from my sound card to my tv and bam it's working perfect.

Since you're buying a whole new setup though, you might wanna check out the GeForce 450 card. It's like 130 bucks and it also has sound built in so just an HDMI cable would do the trick. DX11 card, good for gaming and has 1gb of video memory.

what i mean is if your computer displays at something like 2048x1536 when you plug your vga into your TV then you've got a better resolution than 1080p anyway. so the whole hdmi argument doesn't matter. vga is perfectly fine and everything i watch/play on my computer looks just as well as my 360 with its hdmi cable.

maybe it's going out but i use a geforce 8500gt and our brand new tv has a vga in on the back amongst all the other stuff so, works for me /shrug
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:39 pm

yeah, you don't need a lot of horsepower for HD

pretty much all the modern cards will do blu-ray np

i honestly don't bother with HDMI

vga/dvi to the tv, and then optical or coax spdif to the receiver
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend