Lag issues with laptop

Ask the few things google does not know

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Lag issues with laptop

Postby Jennay » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:13 pm

Ok I'm not too good at this computer stuff, but I know I have a.. 380something ram and 32meg video card. ATI somethin or other. I got this Dell Inspiron 5100 in December and things were great with EQ! It ran sooo smoothly I could even have my particle effects on, even the sky! Now ever since this STUPID fucking DX9 shit, I can barely play. I have all my models off, Sky off, clip plane and effects down, and have to stare at the floor just to be able to keep 4 songs up. We don't have money right now for me to get a new computer, so did I just waste $1300 and come out with a glorified chatroom? :( I miss being able to play EQ on this thing. Anything I could download or tune up that doesn't require money? :(
Jennay
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Metranon » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:45 am

maybe

i also play EQ on my laptop....in fact i use my laptop as a desktop full time although it is a good deal higher powered than your dell, i had some similiar issues with GoD and directx 9.0 compatibility

most likely your laptop has a ATI Radeon MOBILITY series card...should say the exact one in your control panel-->system-->device manager tab.

MOBILITY series cards are customized somewhat for best performance in your laptop by the manufacturer (dell, etc), so they do not use the same device drivers as standard desktop video cards. Also the drivers and cards in general are not supported by microsoft or by sony for use in EQ, you won't get any response on the tech boards as soon as you mention your computer is a laptop.

SO, when ATI came out with new drivers for directx 9.0, and EQ upgraded to it, you also need to update your laptop's video card drivers for directx 9.0. Unfortunately, the standard radeon drivers or whatever won't work, and there are no MOBILITY drivers on their webpage because like i said the laptop manufacturers custom make them

so in short what you need to do is contact dell and ask them if they have an updated driver for your laptop video card for directx 9.0

let me know if this helps...could be some other stuff too i guess like corrupted paging file but try drivers first
Metranon
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Scoota McGee » Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:00 am

....in fact i use my laptop as a desktop full time although it is a good deal higher powered than your dell

What do you have?
"Liberals believe government should take people's earnings to give to poor people. Conservatives disagree. They think government should confiscate people's earnings and give them to farmers and insolvent banks. The compelling issue to both conservatives and liberals is not whether it is legitimate for government to confiscate one's property to give to another, the debate is over the disposition of the pillage."

-Dr. Walter Williams
Scoota McGee
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Metranon » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:42 pm

i have a voodoo m:360 envy series laptop
Metranon
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Scoota McGee » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:12 pm

Fucking sweet. Puts by Toshiba P25-S670 to shame.
"Liberals believe government should take people's earnings to give to poor people. Conservatives disagree. They think government should confiscate people's earnings and give them to farmers and insolvent banks. The compelling issue to both conservatives and liberals is not whether it is legitimate for government to confiscate one's property to give to another, the debate is over the disposition of the pillage."

-Dr. Walter Williams
Scoota McGee
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Return to Tech Support