Investment question, and some good news to boot )

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Investment question, and some good news to boot )

Postby Gaazy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:40 pm

So, I know some of you are into investments and have portfolios and all that. What kinds of stuff are you into? Im about to start into some mutual funds that a broker I know really well has talked mei nto for retirement stuff. I already have a couple IRAs and piddly shit like that that comes out of each paycheck, but soon im gonna gear for some real stuff.

What brings me to this, is an opportunity I have come to this weekend that I just dont believe I can pass on. A very good friend of mine, Mike Harris, has been doing HIV/AIDS research for years and years now, and hes found a successful treatment, he hasnt done all the press shit yet, but they are pounding at his door for him to come out with it, so youll be hearing about it soon. No drugs, no pills, none of that shit. He has cured dozens of people with HIV with technology he has come up with, involving the nitrogen in the air around us and hyperbaric chambers (like scuba stuff). I have spent the whole evening going over studies hes done and all his clinical trial stuff, and ill be godamned if the guy hasnt done it. Ive looked at his work with my own eyes, and I just cant believe what hes accomplished. Its absolutely mindblowing the data he has. And the even more beautiful thing about it, is it works for TONS of viruses. Herpes being one of them. The tests havent been done yet, but they know it will work. The great thing about all of it is that there is no side effects or anything, and the treatment will cost patients 250 bucks and will be done in a weeks time, 2 hours a day in the chamber. Obviously, they dont just give out patents like their candy, especially medically, you have to really have your shit together and a lot of backing.

Hes big on cofidentiality right now and now having the press come out too quick with it, but its not secret that hes been doing it. Theres been people from his company try to run off with the work and patent it, 2 of the 3 who did are waiting to go to jail right now for it, too. And, for the past 5 years, hes had to go to Switzerland to do his research, because the US government are worthless pieces of shit, and the pharm companies were NOT going to let him do this. Theyve don eveyrthing you can imagine to try to halt his progress and shut him down. They will be losing trillions of dollars here shortly to this, so pull your stock out of AIDs treatment companies if youve got, mark my words :wink: I was asking him about how confident he wanted me to be about all this, and he said its not like its a secret anymore, seeing as he finally, after years and years and years, got his patent on December 31, 2008. So somewhat, its public now.

Hes just about to start the distribution phase of his operation in the coming months. This is where I come in. The companies stock right now is worth 17.50 per share. By the next few weeks, hes estimating it to go up at least a hundred and fifty points. He set aside a few hundred million units of stock for 'friends and family' to buy, at a minimum of 5000 shares, at 1$ a share. so if I buy the minimum of 5000, that is immediately worth 87,500. The hard part of coming up with 5000 bucks, but after seeing all this firsthand, I dont believe its something I can pass up. Even if the shit crashed to 2$ a share and the company went to shit for some reason, which from what he can tell, he cant see happening now thats hes finished all his clinical human trials and completely cured people of this, and got his patent, I would still not be at a loss, because im buying in at a buck per. I believe i would be an idiot not to get into this it would seem. So here I go on my first investment challenge.

And on that note, I just had to post here because I am so absolutely thrilled at what he has accomplished. Curing the uncurable. I mean its not a pipe dream anymore, I can remember him years ago talking about it and me thinking to myself ya know "yeah ok dude thats one hell of a pipe dream, but good luck", and then years later, Mike has actually taken the virus out of peoples bodies, and completely proven it. Hes been in the works on this for over a decade, putting his life into it. Just goes to show even further that some of the pharm companies have gone to such great lengths, and spent MILLIONS on trying to NOT let him get this through. But ill be godamned, he did it! So many lives could be saved here soon, im just really proud as fuck to have a part in this. Just plain proud. and dissappointed in another way about what the country has put him through, bad enough to make him go to a country that DOEs want it helped, Switzerland.

If you want to see his shiny new patent, go to http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Par ... -Michael-F
or, search patent number 20050056285.
this page, obviously, has the full gist on the project and procedures of the treatment. So read this and youll understand what im talking about

so maybe there is still some hope that there are some people in this world that want to do some good. In the early years, he did his first hyperbaric work at Duke's medical centers, and at the end, Duke offered him a handful of cash for him to stop research and hand all his stuff over, so he said fuck it and went overseas. wonder what pharm company was behind that shit :ugh: Kudos, we may be seeing a world change here shortly. Thousands and thousands of lives saved in africa and other countries.

I'll tell ya what, Mike is a brilliant man. He is a farm boy who couldnt even afford to go to college. It took him about 7 years just to get his 4 year sdegree because he had to stop school to work to save up money for school. Oh, and I forgot to mention, hes also a white water kayaker world champion, with 10 national titles, and a champion horse breeder and steeple racer. All while still managing to be local ski patrol on his time of in Virginia.

http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/re ... d=20033379
and theres a link to some investors message boards. The company that the thread is about, is called Deep Blue. They consisted of th eguys who ripped Mikes shit and tried to run with it, to no avail. They are now facing jail time. But read through there and it will give soem info on what kind of fuckhead thiefs wanting to get rich there are out there. The very last post, 1494 i believe it is, shows some informative info on this
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Re: Investment question, and some good news to boot )

Postby Arlos » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:12 am

Just be very very very careful. No medical technique or treatment is worth spit until it has been approved by the FDA and/or other regulatory agencies. There are very very good reasons for this, to be honest. (if you need an example, just look up Thalidomide.)

I really hope what your friend has done works out as well as he thinks, and if you're only investing $5k, you're not on the hook for too much if this thing goes south. Also remember that you can value the stock at whatever you want before it goes on sale, but that doesn't mean that that's what it will REALLY sell for, so don't get caught up in paper profits that haven't been realized yet.

I suppose I'm just reacting because this smacks me as "too good to be true" in general, and pretty usually, if something sounds too good to be true, it often is.

Good luck though, man, but don't lose your shirt...

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby KaiineTN » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:19 am

Did you say a few hundred MILLION units of stock aside for friends and family at $1 a share? Let's say just one hundred million. So you honestly believe this company is worth at least $100 million? Oh wait, you said the company's stock is at $17.50 a share now? I guess it's worth well more than $1.75 billion! And that's before the expected 150 point increase? That's a hell of a startup.

I mean, more power to you and him, but the numbers you provided don't make much sense.
KaiineTN
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Maeya » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:26 am

Ugzug and I may be facing a similar situation with a different company, and it's really scary to me to trust that it will work like we hope it will. However, money is rarely made without taking risks, and people HAVE made millions playing the stock market in such a way.

Good luck - I hope it does pan out like you hope.
Maeya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Foutty » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:24 am

While I certainly hope it's not, it sounds like BS to me.
Foutty
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby 10sun » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:39 pm

Gaazy, don't do it.

Sounds like a Nigerian scam compounded with a good ole boy getting ahold of you.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Tikker » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:52 pm

10sun wrote:Gaazy, don't do it.

Sounds like a Nigerian scam compounded with a good ole boy getting ahold of you.

this
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Dylan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:00 pm

I am skeptic about there being such a good treatment for HIV/AIDS and not seen anything on the news about it.
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gaazy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:30 pm

I cant really explain it, lol, id have to show you all the information I have been shown. I just really wish there was a way I could post the cell structure diagram before and afters and human clinical trial data and cell counts and all that he has showed me. I looked at years and years of documentation on his studies of this this weekend, along with the people that stayed with us, one of whom is a cancer doctor (dad of one of my race team kids) who looked at the same info as me, and verified every single bit of it. Hes actually buying a couple hundred thousand worth of stock in this, whereas I am buying a mere 5000

I have been sleeping on it and going over it for months now, and based on everything I know about the situation, it is worth the risk to me. It would be different if he was asking me to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars, but 5000? That is not a lot of money in the big scheme of things. and as far as the risk/reward goes and the *possibilities* of the outcomes, it becomes worth it to me to give a shot. If everything in some wild way goes to shit and my stock becomes completely worthless, im out a mere 5 grand. Not millions of dollars.

Hes not asking people like me to be his main investors. Hes got plenty of that. Thats one reason why is he in Switzerland, their government has given him millions in grants to do the research, when our government wouldnt. http://www.pacha.gov/meetings/minutes/m0103.html that is a government committee or whatever its called that he was involved in in 2003. Read down the list and you see his name and his speech. The government would not help him. He presented it to other countries, and they took it seriously. Like I said, people like me are so minute on the money scale, hell we arent even on the scale. Hes offering this to friends and family as a gift really, an opportunity to give us a chance to make some money and start off. Not to fund his projects. The other people investing are talking major money investments, but 5000? Thats nothing to these companies. Hes offering this as a luxury of being a good friend for so long.

as far as the numbers go, remember its not a publically traded company, so its not like the stock market controls what the company is worth from what I understand of it. Not just any person can get online and buy stock of it. I may have skewed them somewhere and made a mistake, but that is what the company is worth, hundreds of millions. I dont know where to look, but you can go back 15 years and see his early work with Duke U. im sure somewhere. This wasnt an overnight thing. And it being estimated at 150 a share? Thats nothing coming from the company who can treat AIDS. Use your head, imagine how much that technology could possibly be worth once the word is out and people are being treated.

And, to boot, this isnt a guy that I met at a bar who is trying to get anyone he can find to get money out of. I have known him my whole life, and the guy I coach the kids ski team with is his best friend. He gave Mike his first job on a ski patrol years and years ago and drove him to getting into med school. He has earned every step of the way.

Also, theres a reason all this technology hasnt been heard of. Why in the name of fuck would he want to put his ideas into the media when he doesnt have a patent yet so some other pharm company or someone could jump on the horse and beat him to it? He hasnt released anything on it yet because he is a careful man, in which he damn well should be with the stuff hes dealing with. He is at the point now of getting the word out and distribution, so it will be out very shortly. But seriously, think about it, if you had a life saving technology worth millions upon millions that you were on that was not patented, would you say hey guys, check this out! See if you can develop it before me! No, you wouldnt. You be just as careful about the disclosure of the information as he is. And its still almost come back on him. Read the investors hub thread i posted up top, those 3 guys were on his board and tried to run off with the technology and started th is Deep Blue Inc. company and tried to develop it and patent it before he could. Now 2 of them are facing jail time for stealing his work. That, Dylan, is why you would be the idiot sitting at home broke ass and tired while someone else made off with your technology because you couldnt keep your mouth shut long enough to do the research.

And to boot, I damn well hope its for real. Think of the lives this could save. How many children have lost their lives die to getting HIV from their mothers in this world? Im not even as concerned about the money when it comes to being as hopeful as I am about the lives this will save possibly. The world has lost hope in people who want a cure. Duke offered him MILLIONS for his work years ago, if he even was in it to get rich quick, he could have sold out then if he didnt believe this would be worthwhile. Just the shear thought of how many lives it could possibly save should be worth to anyone.

But like I said, yes its a risk, but you cant make money without taking a risk. It doesnt just come out of no where. You have to have money to make money. And this, is a risk im going to take. It would be different if I was considering basing my whole retirement or savings or whatever on this company, or everything I own, like some people do. It sure would be nice for it to work out like they plan it to, but like Maeya said, it rarely does, and i know that, but youve got to try someday /shrug. so yeah, it could backfire and this could be nothing, but from what Ive seen, its mindblowing what he has accomplished.

Oh and something else I remembered. Arlos mentioned the food and drug people. What drug are you talking about? There are no injections, no pills, no drugs. He is simply using the nitrogen in the air around us in a hyperbaric chamber pretty much, thats what amazing about the treatment, there arent thousands of dollars in drugs a month people will have to buy. The treatment will be marketed at 250 bucks. and will last 7 days to a few weeks. And they dont just give patents, especially anything medical, to just anyone. Hes been proving his case on this for years now, since 2003. You have to really prove it works, and works safely, which he has done. He he couldnt get a patent, I dont think i would consider doing this, that would be kind of retarded. He spent years hearing "non final rejection, need more infoz and proof" and was persistent enough to keep going and going and going. Its his life's work, not a basement chemistry set experiment.
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby vonkaar » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:04 pm

holy freaking hell man, don't do it... if you are having to 'come up with' $5k and it's not money you can ABSOLUTELY THROW AWAY, then that's far too much money to gamble on - and that's exactly what this is.

The fact that he has no concept of company valuation is SCARY BEYOND BELIEF. If I hear someone say, "I'm reserving a couple hundred million shares..." it better be some c-level of a giant multinational company. Even at $0.01 a share, "a few hundred million shares" is still "a few million dollars". $17.50 is the current "price"? Set by whom? Some dude with a privately held "company"? Wtf, are you serious? I'll do that. I invented the world's tastiest lemonaide. People are buying my stock at $50, but I'll sell it to you for $2. Why? Because I'm fucking retarded. I could continue selling shares at $50 but I like you. Plus, NOBODY IS ACTUALLY PAYING ME SHIT so that $50 price is completely artifuckingficial. But go ahead and give me $2 and I'll throw a wad of papers at you. And since you are so naive to this 'investment' thing, I'll even print up official-looking "1 share of stock" papers circa 1920 so you have something to hold on to.

:angryfaceemoticon:

If my closest, LIFELONG BEST FRIEND came up with this shit, *especially* if he was some Carolina farm boy using "scuba technology to cure AIDS"... and came to me with some GUARANTEED WAY TO TURN $5k into $90k, I'd tell him to fuck off. Good lord man. Everyone hear's these stories of lottery-style success on the 'stock market' but 99.99999999999999999999% of every first-time "investor" NEVER sees returns like that. My absolute best year turned a 6% down year into a +32% return from me, and I had some GEM stocks that I felt INCREDIBLY fortunate to discover (GFA, BRY, IGT, few others were big winners for me in 07, and I did well on AAPL & GOOG). But the most important thing was - this was NOT money that I had to 'come up' with. If I lost every penny, I'd still be okay.

Redneck stock scam 101.
) Come up with a product that you think 1% of the suckers that hear about it will fall for.
) "Sell" shares of your company at a set rate (that nobody buys in at) and then tell your 'friends' that they can buy at 'cost' (wtf) that is SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER than the so-called 'asking' price.
sidenote - if the 'ask' price really was $17.50 and he had HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF SHARES in a 'side-pool'...
) "COMPANY" GOES BUST, IT WON'T DROP TO TWO DOLLARS. IT DROPS TO NO DOLLARS. And it's a PRIVATELY HELD COMPANY. Guess what your compensation is.

holy fuck man, this is so bad I can't even continue. You are basically talking to one of the top ten medical companies in the world. How the fuck

I'm done, I'm getting pissed at your gullibility. Go throw your $5k at this nigerian wire transfer. Be sure and let us know when you cash in.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Gaazy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:19 pm

First of all, the 5000 is money I have on hand, im not going to be taking a loan from anyone, or anything like that. Im almost 24 years old. If theres a time to be putting money out and taking a risk, the time is now, before I have a family and people relying on me to provide. When I said "the hard part is..", I dont think I worded that right. Now that I am clean, and not spending thousands of dollars on drugs a month, its not hard to come up with. At all. So, when you said you would have been just fine if youd have lost all that, thats the case I am in here. Sure, id prob be a little pissed, but I wouldnt go apeshit and start repieceing my broken life over it. If that 5000 went away, I wouldnt lose my house and anything I own and go into some horrible debt. I would get up and go to work the next day, probably take the day to go out on a sales run, sell a couple pieces of equipment, and make that back on commission. I get 4% of what I sell, and say I sell a regular 250HP terminal group, is about 300,000 bucks, I would be sitting just fine with a 12k check in my hand. I just put it all in a savings account and dont touch it, most of the time. So that 5000 is not that hard to come by, and im not really sure why i even said that. And now that I think about it, I believe I have mistated the amount of shares here and all that. I read what I wrote, and that does sound stupid, and I just called tim, and he said I typed it up wrong. If I think about it tomorrow, I will get with him and get what is actually going on and reiterate it here. I know the amount is 220 million, but Ive got myself backwards now trying to remember what is what. And as far as the companies worth goes, it IS worth a fucking shit ton. Hes got major European investors that have spent a LOT of money in the development of this. Thats why hes in Europe. I think it actually boils down to the fact that I dont know how to explain what is going on clear enough, either that or I just dont feel like thinking it up to explain it here. I should have just kept it at the technology part of it and had a discussion.

Ive even already spoken to a friend thats a broker about all of this, hes checked into it, and all the info is completely legit. So im not sure what whim your going off on, but good for you for making some money last year on the market. Whoopy, your an expert, congratulations. I have had experts research the validity of all of this, on the medical side, and the financial side. Like I said, Ive been sleeping on it for months now, and now that he got his patent, its time to act. For some odd reason, I get the notion that the professionals (being a well known financial advisor in the area, and a very well known cancer treatment doctor and reasearcher) are a liiiiiittle more in the loop that the almighty vonkaar. Although, I do undestand where you are coming from, and agree with you. If someone just made a post about a cure of aidz! and someone wanting to throw money into it, itd make me wonder too, so your voice hasnt been unheard.

The main reason I even bothered to post this stuff is because I figured the technology would interest a lot of you, and just the shear possibility of it becoming a real treatment and saving god knows how many lives would peak your minds, knowing how a lot of you are with technology and stuff. I would have posted it months ago if id have known he had made this much progress and shown it to me. I had no idea he was this far along in his studies. Like I said, he just finished FOUR YEARS of human trials. And those people are still being monitered to this day, and were once HIV positive, and now have ZERO traces of the virus. In fact, their cell counts show the treatment made it better than they were before. It improved them. Thats the thing, this isnt in the developmental stages anymore, PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CURED. THEY HAVE NO HIV VIRUS NOW. It catches the virus and wont let it attach to a cell to mutate, and wipes it out. Ive seen the analysis' with my own eyes and it blew me away. I dont see how you can argue with that. Its been completely proven, with no known side effects to the treatment. Unless some long term side effect is going to show up in people, more than 4 years after they were treated, which none have shown ANY yet....blahblah, why am I even bothering here. The thread obviously didnt turn out like I wanted it to and peak anyones mind on the scientific side. I guess itll take it being in hospitals and the data being released to the press in the coming months and year for anyone to realize what Im saying. Its not a theory anymore for gods sake, its a proven treatment now that has been developed in his huge lab overseas, and its taken him half his life to complete. I would give my left testicle to be able to have copies of his data and post here. I swear to god, on my grandparents graves, that its surreal what he is accomplishing with this somewhat simple technology, really.

And ill say it again, hes offering this to me as an opportunity to pay me back for all the stuff Ive done for him. Ive given him places to crash over the years, free skis i didnt use anymore, just little things like that that some people appreciate. Basically just being a friend. Theres plenty of other gullible people out there that would buy into this in a heartbeat at the sound of "cure for aids!" and not even look into it further, hes giving me the option as a friend, not a possible big investor or someone to rip off. Im sure he could find people willing to spend a whoooooole lot more money on this if he wanted to if he were a scam artist. Why go to an old friend that he knows wont buy hundreds of thousands worth and even bother? Hes already made me aware of the risks, how all that works, and all the possibilities of the situation. this is his lifes work, hes been working for years after years on this. If he wanted to scam everyone, good god theres a lot easier ways to do it. Just look at all the pharm companies here in the US as a good example. Sure, theres some good meds out there, but I really believe most of them are all out scams, like ritalin, and theyre making bazillions off us. Once the company reaches a certain point in the next couple years in value, he will be offering a buyback, so its not even a long term investment deal. Hell, he is only selling out 1% of the entire company so he can control everything. He doesnt WANT everyone and their brother to be buying in on it. I really shouldnt have even bothered to post anything at all about the investment side of this stuff because i should have known what the responses would be, without knowing me, him, our situation, or his situation. I should have just kept it at the technology standpoint, because it fascinates the hell out of me. Just glancing at my first post o the investment side, it does sound a touch on the fucking crazy side. But theres not much more I can do change any minds short of him allowing me to post his lab reports and shit on here rofl

But yeah, me thinks the problem here mainly is I dont know how to explain the money side of it well enough for it to make any sense to anyone whos well spoken in that stuff. That, and I tangled the numbers up because of it. But this would be a whole different situation for me if I were thinking of putting everything to my name in this and putting it all on the line or something like that, but Im not. Its not going to be me losing my shirt if tihs actually does turn out to be a bust somehow, theres people whove put millions upon millions of dollars into this research, its THEM that will be losing their asses here, not me. Ive never done any investment before because I dont trust it or anyone else with my money, but I have a different feeling with this. Im not investing in some off the wall invention and just hoping it works. I am hoping to god this all goes as planned not for my money, but because of the christ knows how many lives could be saved from it. It could completely change certain areas of the world. For fuck's sake think about the possibilities.

Hell, hes not even going to market it in the US anytime soon. The first pile of chambers will be going to African countries and European markets, not American. If I were him, I wouldnt even bother with this fucked up country, after all the shit the companies here have put him through in trying NOT to have this technology researched so they could keep raking in the billions on the drugs here that dont even work hardly.

And yes, I know you hear all these big lottery type jackpots people hit on the stock market, and I know getting a good return on shit is near impossible, but youve got to roll the dice to have a chance to hit it at some point. You cant just sit at home wishing you did something and get it, youve got to put out the money and effort.

Ahh well, im done here, going to sleep~ thanks for your super genius scenario btw

And the part that I said "investment question" in the topic, wasnt asking for advice really, it was asking what type of stuff YOU guys are into, what kind of investments YOU guys make, and what kind of risks YOU guys take int he market
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby 10sun » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:42 pm

I'm not into believing a bunch of bullshit.

Do yourself the favor prior to dumping 5k down the drain, call up the schools he got his degrees from, ask to speak to the department heads and ask what he was like and what he was researching.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby KaiineTN » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:36 am

I'm currently investing in Asian women.

By the way, has he put some sort of time constraint on your decision to get in or not? How long will the stock be available to you for $1? Why not wait it out a bit? Don't be impulsive, don't let emotions get the better of you. If you feel a rush thinking about how much money the stock will be worth when the news gets out... That's emotional, and if you let yourself act on that, you will assrape yourself eventually, even if this time it did work out. If there's no reason to buy in right at this moment, don't.

I've lost a good bit of cash playing with stocks, and every loser was an emotionally influenced buy where I thought I could see big gains. Every single one. Every gainer is a stable company, with good fundamentals, and a good product, that I saw having market dominance in the future.

My biggest advice if you go through with this is know when to get out. Or, at least, sell $5000 worth of it if it does jump up, get your intiial money back, and let the rest ride. I have to admit though, I don't know much of anything about selling shares in private companies. "Know what it takes to get out as well as what it takes to get in."
KaiineTN
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gypsiyee » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:01 am

Since everyone else is being a debbie downer, I'm gonna go ahead and throw out there that I really hope that this turns out as well as it sounds and everything works out for you, and especially your friend. I'm not of the pessimistic thought that your friend is out to fuck you, but even if he's a brilliant scientist and doesn't know shit about the market, it can turn out less than ideal.

That said.. you're a savvy businessperson with lots of success, especially for your age. It doesn't much matter what people here are going to tell you as I'm sure you've already got your trepidations about the whole thing. If you have the spare money that you won't kick yourself later for, trust your gut - you know the guy better than anyone here does to know if the studies he's shown you are legit or not. It sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind and were just kind of hoping for validation here - which was silly of course, because this is NT ;)

To quote Rounders, you can't lose what you don't put in the pot, but you can't win much either. I say, if you have the money, don't care if later on you feel like you flushed it down the toilet if you lose it, and your gut says to do it, you might as well. If at any point you have a glimmer of doubt or think to yourself "this sounds like BS" or if at any point you're going to say "fuck, I shouldn't have given him that money" if it goes south, it's probably best you steer clear because not only will you be down that money, but it could also be potentially damaging to your friendship.

Bravo to your friend and all his hard work - I really hope it all goes as planned, because aside from the money aspect, that's something that could change the world, and that's something that can't be bought really.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby brinstar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:42 am

hah i loved Rounders, great movie

"does this look like man that can be beaten with pair of jacks?"
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Kramer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:59 am

yeah, you need FDA approval and you also have to worry about a company that is well funded NOT finding out about it and releasing a similar drug or just marketing their drug better and you ar ein the cold.

i am coming from someone with 2 kids and a 3rd on the way, 5K would help alot out with bills and if invested at 7-10% would turn into lots of money down the road...

but if you do it, i really hope it works out for you!
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby vonkaar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:42 am

1) If you can't explain the money part, perhaps it's the money part you shouldn't be investing in. Seriously.

2) If he has "European Investors" and all of this interest in his product, what is $5k to him at all? "What does God need with a Starship?" (might be before your time)... $5,000 should be nothing to him, so if he's just trying to give you a lottery ticket on his money train, why doesn't he let you buy "shares" at 1 penny?

He could sell you hundreds of shares for a penny. "Thanks for lending me the ski boots, pal, here's 500 shares that I value at $17.50." But, who will then buy it from you? Those European investors? Sweet. If so, they would probably jump at the chance to buy it for $15. Ask him if you can buy $5k worth at a buck a share and then immediately sell it to all of his buyers - those who set that price so high. You'll sell it SIGNIFICANTLY BELOW the asking price, so you'll have buyers a'plenty. And, if you somehow turn $5k into $75k overnight... rock on. Hell, if that happens, I'll fly out there and drop $50k on this shit.

3) If you have been on NT long enough, you might remember the Goat point system that I implemented. Some people had MILLIONS of "Goats". People traded, awarded and bet on these goats. But, what did it matter? Was I planning on selling NT someday? Those with the most goats got the most amount of cash when NT got sold? No... but imagine if I took cash for those goats and convinced people that was the case. THEY DON'T MEAN ANYTHING. The day I walked away from NT and Gidan took over, people might be sitting around with their wads of Goats and wonder when their big payday was coming. Then boom, Gidan killed the system and all those Goat'aires were left bankrupt. And who do they raise their beef with?

4) YES, now is the time you are supposed to speculate. ABSOLUTELY. And if you can raise $5k to invest, go for it. But you are saying that this is your first time investment. And, your entire $5k investment is speculation. If you told me you had $25k to invest and you wanted to drop $5k on this longshot lottery ticket... kick ass, go for it. But you are putting 100% of your 'extra' money into this. Money that you've already paid taxes on... bleh...

Forget it...

KaiineTN wrote:My biggest advice if you go through with this is know when to get out. Or, at least, sell $5000 worth of it if it does jump up, get your intiial money back, and let the rest ride. I have to admit though, I don't know much of anything about selling shares in private companies. "Know what it takes to get out as well as what it takes to get in."

There is no 'price' in privately held companies like this. Especially one that doesn't exist. This is VENTURE investing. He wants to invest in the IDEA of a company. Share price times share volume = value of this idea. If we throw out the 'hundreds of millions of shares' because Gaazy didn't know what he was talking about, and just say that there are 'lots' of shares... it still poses the question - what portion are you buying for your $5k? If he decided to break his company up into 1 million shares, then you know you are buying a .5% stake for $5k (at $1 a share). Gaazy doesn't know WHAT he's buying... how much this idea is worth... he's just so blown away by the pitch, he's throwing cash at it. And that's what a good salesman does. But, the deception lies in the "everyone else is paying $17.50 a share for this, but I'm giving it to you at $1." That's ILLEGAL in the 'real world' and it's a simple Nigerian scam in the 'private' world.

Once again, if he has all this money coming in from outside investors - why does he need your money? If the answer is, "to give you a chance to cash in on his money train," then why does he need 'any' money from you? If I discovered the secret to Quantum Gravity and was about to unleash my gobs of technology onto the world, I might give my friends and family 'interest' in this venture... but I wouldn't ask for their fucking money. I have FRENCH INVESTORS for that, y'know? What's $5k from my poor sister when I have hundreds of thousands of Euros to wipe my ass with? But... it's a $5k INVESTMENT yo!!
    Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
    vonkaar
    Sexy Ass
    Sexy Ass

Postby Eziekial » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:12 am

share of a corporation can have a par (or coupon if you prefer that term) of .0001 or even .00001. Once a corporation has established a share value with outside investors and has a price history; yes, private companies share value can go up and down just like a public company... then it's an accounting nightmare to sell shares at anything but the established value. Imagine you invest in a start-up at $10 a share and buy 100,000 shares for $1MM knowing the corporation has 10MM shares of which 6MM are issued and 5MM are held by the corp and the other 1MM have been sold at various prices the most recent being $9/share. Then a month later the owner of the company either issues or sells 1MM shares to his "friends" for $1/share on the cusp of the corporation going big. How would you feel about that? Pretty fucking pissed if you as me. More than likely, this guy has what almost every small private corp has done that is about to get listed or hit it big. They have, on the books, a couple MM shares that are "owned" by the company or it's officers at a strike price of $1. This is an accounting trick to make the owners rich without "gifting" which has it's own accounting rules and tax consequences rather than a long term capital gain which is what rule applies to "buying" a stock at it's coupon or par value then it having a "market" value of $1. More than likely, this guy is allowing close friends and relatives to buy into the company at the last minute at a predated price thereby avoiding the issue of lowering the "market" price and not triggering "gifting" tax issues. It's a fair exchange and the company has no change to it's balance sheet since the value of the stock has to be kept at the value it was initially sold at ($1). I have personally watched this dance and people become instant millionaires overnight. Now, there is a risk and a catch. The value on shares is whatever someone is willing to buy them at and what type of shares. Are they restricted? If so, what's the timeline on the restriction and are there any other issues with selling the shares? All in all, it's your friend, you know the situation and it's an awesome opportunity. If you think it's for real then buy as many shares as you can afford.
    Eziekial
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Gaazy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:15 am

Like I said, I shouldnt have even brought up the investment part of things here. Vonkaar may talk a big shit with investments and all that, but he still knows nothing about this situation, and im not going into it any further after this. You can formulate your own opinions of the situation, but it will have no effect on my decisions. Youre going off on a whim on someone elses situation you now nothing about, and have never seen anything on it. And as far as what Kainne said, did you see the part that said its been in the works for me months? This wasnt a weekend decision of emotion. This isnt something I got the bright idea of while I was drunk at a bar and met the guy. But the offer wont last forever, ill just say that. Its been a decision I have researched and thought about for months now. Until he sells the stocks he set aside, the offer for me will be there. So really no, I dont have a huge time constraint. But like I said, this is something Ive been working on for months now, researching and deciding, talking to other experts and other people that know more than me outside of the situation. The fact that he got the patent finally, which I knew was coming months ago, it just happened a little sooner, he didnt think he was going to get it until Feb. or so, but it ended up being approved on the 31 of dec.

to be more exact and to verify, which i dont know why im bothering here, but I feel like doing it anyways, he showed me the paperwork this weekend on this part, but ive known about the deal for months. Now that he has the patent, a Swiss investment firm is buying 10% of his company for 150 million euros. So do some fucking math and that should help give you an idea of the value overall of his company. And it will be within the next couple of weeks that this will be becoming mainstream, at least thats what hes planning on doing. That I learned this morning. I thought it was going to be months, but he going for weeks. This isnt some backwoods company worth nothing.

And Ill say it again, the FDA really is not playing any part in this right now. THERE IS NO DRUG. "Food and DRUG Administration". I am still waiting to hear exactly what drug you were talking about. This is a procedure, not a drug. And to boot, exactly what kind of jurisdiction do you think they have in Africa and Europe anyways? Thats where he is going to market first and foremost, because thats where the root of the problem is. So again, what fucking drug are you speaking of that needs approved and tested? He knows how completely fucked up the people are in this country and how they treated him. Our government brushed his work off like it was nothing. As soon as he went to Europe and presented it to the governments there, the Swiss for example gave him a multi million euro grant to continue his work, and gave him more money when he needed it.

But I'm doing it. Maybe the outcome will be good, maybe it wont. Thats the point, and like Gyp says, youve got to put money into the pot to get any out of it. And anyways, ill say it yet again, my main concern in the success of the company in the coming months isnt about my money coming back, its how many fucking lives could be saved and given back. And how many other deadly things this could cure, leukemia being one that has showed a LOT of success in, but hasnt been really studied yet. the sky is the limit if it is a viral based infection from what I have seen. I dont see how all of you couldnt be excited about the possibilities of this. Thats the problem with this world, everyones too pessimistic on shit, no ones got any hope anymore. Its gotten to the point that anything that sounds too good to be true is automatically passed off as bullshit. I have never gotten overly excited when hearing about stuff like this, because Ive never had the chance to be treated to see the actual facts and scientific data on anything like I have on this work. A guy that works for me has a lot of investing contacts, and I have had more than a few investment opportunities before that Ive never pursued, but from the information Ive been given, I sure as hell am going to pursue this one. You just use your money as you wish, and I'll do what I want with mine. Im done on this subject, I didnt ask for your input in the first place, I was asking what kind of stuff you guys are into, not whether or not I should do this or not. If anyone wants to discuss the medical and treatment side of things, feel free, thats what interests me about it, but Im not wasting anymore of my time justifying my decisions with some random guy on a intarweb msg board because he managed to have someone make some money for him in the market last year. Its just pointless to continue and if things go as planned in the next year, I wont have to justify myself. If they dont, its my own fault, but at least I took a shot at something I believed in and tried.

ps thank you Gyps for the compliment :wink: I dont by any means call myself a super savvy business person, but you bet your ass I know more about it at this age, by learning it the hard way and building a company from scratch with my dad (who was learning along side me just the same), than most of the shit talkers that do nothing but down everyone else here. And I take pride in what we've accomplished so far in my short life, in helping build this company from a one room shop with one welder to a 30 employee company with 3 complete shops and making one of the better names in the state industry. We didnt have this shit handed to us like a lot of people have in this business. We have hit the 6 year mark this year so in that 6 years we've come a long way
    Gaazy
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby vonkaar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:55 am

I'm pretty well convinced that you are the dumbest person on NT.

So once again,

If his company is 'worth' 2 billion dollars and some "Swiss" investment team has wired him €1.5m (edit, €150m!!!!!) for stake in his company... WHAT THE FUCK DOES HE NEED $5,000 FOR?????????????? Offer you a JOB and pay you stock... sell you stock at thousands per penny... but he's supposedly ROLLING IN DOUGH right now, what the fuck does he need your money for?
    Last edited by vonkaar on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
    vonkaar
    Sexy Ass
    Sexy Ass

Postby Tossica » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:20 am

Yeah, this is a total scam. Sorry Gaazy.
    Tossica
    NT Patron
    NT Patron

Postby Naethyn » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:27 pm

I'm calling scam on this one.

Although, it would be cool to see this headline cnn in the coming weeks!
    Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
    Naethyn
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby vonkaar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:51 pm

And gaazy wearing a "Fuck YOU Vonkaar" T-shirt behind the scenes, driving around on his segue
    vonkaar
    Sexy Ass
    Sexy Ass

Postby Tikker » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:48 pm

vonkaar wrote:And gaazy wearing a "Fuck YOU Vonkaar" T-shirt behind the scenes, driving around on his segue

he might even be able to afford a segway too
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby vonkaar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:02 pm

Oh, well I spelled it right. They mispelled it.
    vonkaar
    Sexy Ass
    Sexy Ass

Next

Return to Cap's Alehouse