Whole Foods Market

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Whole Foods Market

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:44 am

Holy shit, it's expensive to eat healthy. 4 grocery bags and 250 bucks later... Omg! Amazing selection of food I must say... All certified organic produce, free range hormone-free chicken, open range grass-fed beef, hormone-free milk from open range cows, nitrate/nitrite/preservative-free lunch meats and salad dressings, amazing selection of cheese and desserts, etc etc etc. Find one near you lol. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: Whole Foods Market

Postby 10sun » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:59 am

Around here we call it Whole Paycheck Market.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:02 am

I prefer Trader Joe's. Healthy and way less expensive.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:02 am

OMG Amazing! You got food that's just as healthy as regular food and paid twice as much for it! Good job with your grass fed beef!

Organic food is a scam, and you're a sucker for buying it.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:03 am

Zanchief wrote:OMG Amazing! You got food that's just as healthy as regular food and paid twice as much for it! Good job with your grass fed beef!

I can't tell the difference between organic veggies vs regular, but organic meat simply tastes better.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:07 am

All meat is organic! Does the word suddenly have a different meaning? Anyone can say something is organic, because it is.

It's almost as bad as "natural". You mean it's derived from nature? As in the earth? Oh well I guess that excludes Moon food.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:20 am

If you're gonna split hairs, then what I mean is, organic certified meats taste better. Plain and simple. The first time I ever ate organic beef I ordered it not knowing it was organic. It was a roast beef sandwich and one of the best I'd ever had in my life. When I asked the guy what was different about this vs any roast beef sandwich, he said probably because the meat's organic. I experimented with that at home, swapped out anything I regularly cooked with organic meat and boom. All food, same recipes, better taste. Not to mention grass-fed animals just come out leaner and better for you anyways.

So, when I say "organic" vs any other kind of meet, what I mean is:

- Fed only organic foods
- Free ranged with total outdoor access and born and raised on a ranch
- no growth hormones
- No antibiotics

Now, if you'd told me that those things made for better tasting meat, I would have never believed it until I tried it. Or maybe the man has me brainwashed and is doping my food /shrug.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:26 am

Anyways, back on topic.

Mindia, you can get the same health value and great taste from Trader Joe's and spend the same or less of what you would spend at say, Safeway. There's a lot of freebies and great customer service at Whole Foods (plus some ridiculous hot and rich eye candy), but at the end of the day if you know your food and know what you're goin in for, then you're better off at Trader Joe's where you don't have to give handies out to strangers just to afford groceries. Whole foods is great but I felt that once I learned as much as I needed to about healthy foods I was better off going somewhere that maybe didn't provide as much info but had less of a choke hold on my wallet.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:30 am

Zanchief wrote:OMG Amazing! You got food that's just as healthy as regular food and paid twice as much for it! Good job with your grass fed beef!

Most regular grocery stores carry corn-fed beef, and corn messes with a cow's digestive system, thus giving them a greater chance of ecoli. Look it up. And certified organic IS better for you, like the produce is pesticide-free. Pesticides are carcinogenic. But shop wherever you want holmes and feel free to continue poisoning your body. Your choice. :)
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:32 am

Jay wrote:Anyways, back on topic.

Mindia, you can get the same health value and great taste from Trader Joe's and spend the same or less of what you would spend at say, Safeway. There's a lot of freebies and great customer service at Whole Foods (plus some ridiculous hot and rich eye candy), but at the end of the day if you know your food and know what you're goin in for, then you're better off at Trader Joe's where you don't have to give handies out to strangers just to afford groceries. Whole foods is great but I felt that once I learned as much as I needed to about healthy foods I was better off going somewhere that maybe didn't provide as much info but had less of a choke hold on my wallet.
. We have a TJ's about 2 miles down the road, but they're not "way less expensive.". I've been a regular TJ's shopper for years. Thanks though. :)
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:41 am

Narrock wrote:Pesticides are carcinogenic.

Everything's a carcinogen, tool. Look it up. Pesticides are harmless.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:44 am

Zanchief wrote:
Narrock wrote:Pesticides are carcinogenic.

Everything's a carcinogen, tool. Look it up. Pesticides are harmless.
. Like I said Zan, feel free to eat what you want and shop where you want. You're 100% wrong about organic, but it's your life, your choice.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:44 am

Meat wise they're about the same with prices fluctuating to where sometimes they're a little higher but most of the time it's the same price or a little lower but by marginal amounts.

For produce, TJ's is generally cheaper across the board, but again, not by a whole lot. For everything else, you can get a TJ's brand for stupidly cheap compared to a Whole Foods brand. Stuff like cereal, pasta, peanut butter, chips and salad dressing are on average a dollar or more less than the name branded version that you could find at Whole Foods but are the exact same thing, made by the same company, just with a TJ's logo on it.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:47 am

I like TJ's brand, even the dark Trader Jose beer. WFM has a brand called 365, which is a little cheaper than big name brands too.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:50 am

The only thing at Whole Food's that's definitely cheaper is milk and eggs. Those things, bread and juice I usually get from a local grocer anyways.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:54 am

You don't get organic juice? What about all that poison like, sugar (unnatural of course, since corn syrup is mad on Mars).
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:10 pm

I like my healthy foods but the only thing I get strictly organic is meat and since I'm already at the store I end up getting organic produce as well. Milk, eggs, juice and bread I get from the local guy basically to 1) support local business, 2) Save money and 3) I think organic milk tastes like shit.

Not sure why that matters to you and what business you have arguing or making snide remarks about it but oh wait, you're Zan. Like the topic of iOS based games, if you don't understand it or have a differing opinion on it, your pretentiousness forces you to protest it and belittle people who are trying to have a real discussion about it (see http://namelesstavern.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20678&start=175).

If you're so against organic foods and pesticide free produce then try not posting in the 1 thread on NT that's talking about it.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:13 pm

I haven't drank juice since I started the Atkin's lifestyle like 9 or 10 months ago.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:37 pm

I ignore a lot of threads I don't care about. This one I do care about. I care about how stupid people are about their organic mayonnaise. It annoys me that the world is obsessed with natural foods that are largely irrelevant, so I'm voicing my displeasure about it. I think this falls under the scope of the topic, unless it was simply to high five about how awesome it is to pay more for a meaningless label. If that's the case, enjoy your jerkfest.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Zanchief wrote:I ignore a lot of threads I don't care about. This one I do care about. I care about how stupid people are about their organic mayonnaise. It annoys me that the world is obsessed with natural foods that are largely irrelevant, so I'm voicing my displeasure about it. I think this falls under the scope of the topic, unless it was simply to high five about how awesome it is to pay more for a meaningless label. If that's the case, enjoy your jerkfest.

Dude, are you for real? Ever heard of hydrogenated or partially-hydrogenated oil? That shit plugs up your arteries. 90% of the salad dressings, peanut butter, some mayo, and on and on has that crap in it. I know you're not retarded, but you're acting retarded in this thread. Read up on trans fats.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Hydrogenated oil is organic, and could be put in every one of the products you buy and still claim to be organic and natural. There is no oversight for what is claimed to be organic because it's a meaningless label used to con gullible people.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:58 pm

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." I don't know where you're getting your facts, Zan, but if you want to believe hack sources of info, that's your business. Just be secure in the fact that I"ll probably live longer than you and have fewer health problems than you in the golden years. :)
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Is that a grass fed horse that's being led to water?
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Drem » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:01 pm

Zanchief wrote:All meat is organic! Does the word suddenly have a different meaning? Anyone can say something is organic, because it is.

It's almost as bad as "natural". You mean it's derived from nature? As in the earth? Oh well I guess that excludes Moon food.

just because you're too stupid to understand the difference between using chemicals to produce food and using water and compost isn't anyone else's fault. you should stop making yourself look like an idiot with posts like this. the terms were coined because for the last 40+ years the American market has been lowballing people. beef soaked in ammonia? yum. have it at it dumbshit
Last edited by Drem on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:03 pm

Zanchief wrote:Is that a grass fed horse that's being led to water?

Next you're probably gonna say that supplemental vitamins are a waste of time and money.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Next

Return to Cap's Alehouse