Whole Foods Market

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Whole Foods Market

Postby 10sun » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:48 am

Diet Dr. Pepper really does taste like regular Dr. Pepper...
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:16 am

Tikker wrote:ps, where do people feed cows corn?

I live in the middle of the prairies, tons of cattle/bison/buffalo/elk ranches etc, and all are free range critters

grass is free, corn costs money

well, those ranches are not the huge meat producing factories that supply major big box market stores. those ranches are the types of places that would be supplying organic meats.

the suppliers that sell their meat to places like walmart etc, the cows are not in pastures but in pens and essentially on top of each other and have hardly any standing room. those are where cows are fed corn mixed products.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Zanchief » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:28 am

Maybe they should start feeding cows HFCS! Imagine the hippy protests then?
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Spazz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:56 pm

Whats with all this soda talk yall niggas know we call that shit pop in the civilized world.
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Arlos » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:05 pm

One other thing you're neglecting to consider, Zan, is that many of the processed products (breads, soups, etc) in the organics section are just higher-quality products using higher-quality ingredients than typical products. Or do you claim that quality is irrelevant, and that, say, 2-buck-chuck is the same as a $30 wine, or el-cheapo olive oil is the same as a high-end extra virgin olive oil imported directly from Greece or Italy?

Also, a lot of the organic food shops will specialize in getting local produce, instead of mass market stuff. That means fruits and vegetables picked when they are actually ripe, not still green and left to sort-of ripen while in shipping containers. One store I go to has a sign in the produce area showing what % of the stuff on sale that day is from local produce. Usually it's at least 80%+, and yes, their stuff DOES taste better than stuff I get at Safeway.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby vonkaar » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Spazz wrote:Whats with all this soda talk yall niggas know we call that shit pop in the civilized world.

everything is Coke down here :)

hey, do y'all want some coke?

sure! what kind do you have?

sprite, dr pepper, coke and orange crush.

cool, I'll have sprite.

you know, coke.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Zanchief » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:59 pm

We're 'soft drink' here in Ottawa. Although I know even in this region there's some disagreement.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Narrock » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:22 pm

I don't drink soda, but I hear a lot of commercials for these: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Search/ ... qtype=full
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:03 pm

Soda. For the most part, the shit is nasty. I like a Mexican coke now and then and home made root beer is good but the nasty syrup in a can is gross.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:03 pm

PS Whole Foods has some really good food that I can't get anywhere else.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:44 pm

leah and i are afaik in the vast minority of native nebraskans who say "soda" instead of "pop"

don't exactly know why either

i will say i have intentionally made certain words or phrases part of my regular vocabulary simply because i like them. here are a few examples:

1. shitty -> shite

example: somewhere along the way, the red hot chili peppers turned into a shite band

2. trash -> bin

example: just toss it in the bin when you're done, i hate leftovers
bonus, can also be used as a verb: feel free to bin it when you're done

3. totally -> totes

example: i'm totes hungry, let's get some burgers

4. oh and speaking of burger, i use it in the same way that a teacher is one who teaches. the infinitive is "to burg"

extensive example: hmm what's for dinner tonight? i guess i could burg. nah, i burged the other day - plus we're burgin' tomorrow at nick's place. i'll have something else.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby leah » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:10 pm

soda all the way. josh says soda, too, for the most part. very rare occasions he'll say pop.

also, i quit drinking soda for lent and never went back. now i drink sparkling water--either flavored la croix or unflavored of any brand. not that gross artificially sweetened crap you can get for 96 cents a bottle. bleh.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby araby » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:25 am

Zanchief wrote:It's much better. The real damage with "soda" are the calories and sugar. Neither are in diet drinks. I just don't have a taste for them though.

also, the acid in the carbonation of any carbonated beverage increases your dental disease by 300% especially when you consume more than 16oz/day.

organic food is better for you and it is up to you to know whether or not the food is being advertised as organic or if it is truly organic. there are organic fruits, meats and vegetables worth choosing over hormone-injected and pesticide-sprayed ones. just depends on what you care about I guess!
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby araby » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:29 am

Perhaps you trust Canada's approval but here in the states, the FDA is under-funded and has been for a while which kinda says a lot about how much the well-being of the people here really matters. I wouldn't trust our government to do much of anything other than take my money.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:01 am

So why then do you trust some hippy who claims some pseudo science junk in order to con someone into buying organic food. Just because you have a bias agenda against the government doesn't mean you have any cause to discredit scientific research without cause.

Organic food is not healthier then non organic food. Growth hormones aren't unhealthy. Pesticides are not unhealthy. The claim has been made that due to poor regulations, organic food poses a much stronger risk to your health the regulated food. This is, or course, properly substantiated by those evil government folks with lab coats who you don't trust though, so believe what you want.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby araby » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:01 am

Tell that to nutritionists and people who use diets to cure themselves from disease. Sad that medical universities do not teach nutrition. Again, it just depends on what you care about. If you don't experience the difference, it's hard to know one is there at all.

the Dr I work for began an organic, vegetarian diet two years ago and today she looks, feels and performs more vibrant and healthy than she ever has. She is 56. so it's not for you. ok!
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:51 am

I have a friend who ate organic food then died of cancer, ergo, organic food causes cancer.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Kaemon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:35 am

Zanchief wrote:I have a friend who ate organic food then died of cancer, ergo, organic food causes cancer.

I hated taking logic's at college, therfore so did everyone else.
Adivina wrote:We are the most bipolar acting community, bunch of manics with the mood swings on here.
Kaemon
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby brinstar » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:58 am

ice cream causes rape
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:55 pm

A ham sandwich is provably better than eternal happiness.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:45 am

nothing is better than eternal happiness

a ham sandwich is better than nothing
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:43 am

Exactly!
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:12 am

kinda like how using canola oil with polydimethylsiloxane isn't better than regular canola oil. but zanchief probably wouldn't agree. because science made it better!!!! because frying things in oil needed scientific research and development

thank god scientists aren't chefs. and if they are, they stay in their weird "foam" kitchens and make food that no classical chef would ever give a fuck about
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Maeya » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:35 am

I had to convert to saying "soda" down in Georgia after years of saying "pop" up in Minnesota. However, the can it comes in will never be anything other than a "pop can". Either way, though, I can't stand the stuff. I don't think I've had more than an entire can to drink in my entire life. The carbonation hurts my mouth and I don't like the flavor. I will take accidental swigs from time to time not paying attention and thinking Ugzug/Langston's drink is my own, and it's still disgusting.
Maeya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Maeya » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:42 am

Re: the organic vs. non-organic foods, it seems that the people I hear about (and someone probably knows the exception to this) that start on an all organic diet typically switch to it from a diet of fast food or other not-so-healthy selections. By comparison, yeah, of course the organic diet will be healthier. I'd be curious if someone can really tell a difference in their level of health if they were already making good, nutritious decisions and from that point switched to an organic diet.
Maeya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Cap's Alehouse