Dilemma

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Dilemma

Postby Narrock » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:52 pm

Ok, so I have a really good trucking job with a ginormous propane company. The salary is very good, they have a profit-sharing plan (currently about 5k/yr), a 401k that they match 50% up to 8% of my contribution, it's m-f, home every night, weekends and holidays off, very good medical/dental/vision insurance, etc. I just had a new opportunity pop up. Walmart is going to be hiring drivers for their massive new distribution center under construction right now. They will have two shifts available. First one is 4 days on 3 days off consecutive. That pays $85k/yr. The second shift is 5 days on 2 days off consecutive and pays $100k/yr. The drawback is that these are OTR positions, and I'd have to sleep in the truck 4 or 5 nights a week depending on which shift I choose. It's California only, drop-and-hook, 100% no-touch freight. You don't even have to hand-crank the landing gear or pull out the 5th wheel bar... everything is push button pneumatic. Ok, so that all sounds good. However, I wouldn't see Lexi or my wife 4-5 days a week, but providing a better living for my family with a less dangerous job. If I stay where I'm at now, I continue to see my wife and daughter daily. I'm getting mixed reactions from family and friends.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: Dilemma

Postby Zanchief » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Do them a favor. Take the money.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Evermore » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:55 pm

FOr once I agree with Zanchief
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Lyion » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Money isn't everything. Really, do you want to spend 80% of your time away from your family?

If it were me, I'd keep your current gig.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Narrock » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Zanchief wrote:Do them a favor. Take the money.

Seeing as how you're wrong about pretty much everything, I'm inclined to do the exact opposite of anything you suggest.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:26 pm

Lyion wrote:Money isn't everything. Really, do you want to spend 80% of your time away from your family?

If it were me, I'd keep your current gig.
. Yeah, I'm with you on the 5/2 schedule. The carrot on the stick for me is the 4/3 schedule.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby vonkaar » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:29 pm

I wouldn't take a job that paid triple if it kept me away from my family for that long. That SUCKS. I've done 50% travel gigs before and it was terrible. 100%? Fuck that.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Jay » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:10 pm

Knowing what I know about you Erik I'd say stick with what you've got. It's not just about time spent but about time available too not to mention quality of life. I'd hate to see your wife and kid have an immediate need that you couldn't meet cuz you're in East Jesus, Nowhere (Sup CT).
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:28 pm

4/3 schedule wouldn't be bad. Just get a laptop & Skype every night.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Narrock » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks for the input all. Yeah, I'll probably make my decision this weekend. The earlier I get my app in, the better the routes are gonna be... seniority...
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:26 pm

The 4/3 option sounds like a reasonable compromise, depending on how much the salary increase is. If it's minimal, I probably wouldn't shift, unless working with propane is THAT much more dangerous. (and given that I don't exactly see daily news reports of propane tanks blowing up, I wouldn't think it is)

Also consider the differences in benefits, if any. Make sure you check that out, as if the benefits are much worse (and working for Walmart, they might well be, they have a rep of being insanely stingy with benefits), then the base salary increase is probably not worth it.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:31 pm

i work 4/3. but not 4 days completely away and then 3 at home. 4/3 is great, but i wouldn't wanna be removed from my comfort zone four days straight on a weekly basis. i vote stick w/ what you've got
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:16 am

Arlos wrote:The 4/3 option sounds like a reasonable compromise, depending on how much the salary increase is. If it's minimal, I probably wouldn't shift, unless working with propane is THAT much more dangerous. (and given that I don't exactly see daily news reports of propane tanks blowing up, I wouldn't think it is)

Also consider the differences in benefits, if any. Make sure you check that out, as if the benefits are much worse (and working for Walmart, they might well be, they have a rep of being insanely stingy with benefits), then the base salary increase is probably not worth it.

-Arlos

The salary increase is roughly 30%, and as a walmart employee, your family gets 10% off at walmart and sams club. That would save us another $2k+ a year. And they have company stock options and the same 401k as my current employer. Now you see why I'm giving this serious consideration. lol
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:49 am

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Narrock » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:28 am

Tikker wrote:you spend 20 grand a year at walmart?

jebus
lol no, i meant we spend about 2k/yr at sams club.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:36 pm

stay where you're at. no amount of money is worth giving up that much time with your family.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Return to Cap's Alehouse