Removing the "under god" part of the pledge of allegiance

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Removing the "under god" part of the pledge of allegiance

Postby Jay » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:41 am

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09 ... reme-court

Thoughts on this?

I'm not sure how I feel about it. In one hand I don't think our country should identify with any religion, but on the other hand, I don't think we need to be so steadfast on removing everything that has religious connotation to it since I believe it's otherwise harmless. I get that "under god" may not represent what some of you believe, but there's also a law stating that you can't force anyone to pledge allegiance either. As for changing historical traditions, the article states that the "under god" part was actually added in 1954 so it's not exactly old old history in relation to other American traditions. I guess to me it's not that big a deal since it's a voluntary thing.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: Removing the "under god" part of the pledge of allegiance

Postby Zanchief » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:17 am

As a person who has no belief in God and, at time, active contempt for religion, I think people should pick better battles.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Menelvir » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:02 am

I'm not even certain that the Pledge of Allegiance has sufficient meaning or efficacy to argue over particular words.

It's like George Carlin pointed out in his bit about swearing on the Bible before giving testimony in court.

(with right hand on Bible) "Do you swear to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you God?" [...] "Sure!"

If there's something that's going to unite young minds in a shared feeling of patriotism, then the Pledge as it is currently worded probably isn't it -- and at the same time, reciting the pledge is far too weak a practice to be considered indoctrination, as it's pretty easily shrugged off if you've learned to question everything around you, especially things like a childhood Pledge that was learned by rote.

But, if there is value in having children recite an institutional creed that values freedom and equality above all, then it would likely be best to remove references to particular deities, as for some that would only be a point of alienation rather than unification - i.e., it's likely easier to create shared feelings of unity over shared values, rather than shared religious beliefs that are tangential (at best) to those values.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Ganzo » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:27 am

Seems like a great "Red Herring" to keep idiots occupied.

Here's another one I heard yesterday, they are planning to introduce a program to schools where they weigh kids and calculate their BMI and send a "fat letter" to warn parents. Never mind that PA class is barely there once a week and school lunches serve pizza, burgers and high fructose corn syrup deserts and drinks all day.
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:53 pm

considering it wasn't in there until the 50s (just like the addition of it on currency) I don't know why it should matter that it gets taken out. it wasn't intended to be there. it wasn't what this nation was founded on. we have a country of people who truly believe the mention of god has been there since its inception, and it's unfortunate. huge pet peeve of mine when people cite the pledge of allegiance and feel compelled to capitalize under god when it never belonged there in the first place.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Narrock » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Solution: Leave it the fuck alone, cuz if you're offended by it, A: You're fucking retarded and overly sensitive, B. Stop reading currency (pick up a hobby imo), C. GTFO of America because we are founded on Judeo-Christian values. Don't like it? LEAVE.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Narrock wrote:Solution: Leave it the fuck alone, cuz if you're offended by it, A: You're fucking retarded and overly sensitive, B. Stop reading currency (pick up a hobby imo), C. GTFO of America because we are founded on Judeo-Christian values. Don't like it? LEAVE.

a) you're an idiot
b) you're an idiot
c) not even true
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Drem » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:18 pm

Gypsiyee wrote: we have a country of people who truly believe the mention of god has been there since its inception, and it's unfortunate

Narrock wrote: C. GTFO of America because we are founded on Judeo-Christian values. Don't like it? LEAVE.

Teddy Roosevelt, 1907, wrote: My own feeling in the matter is due to my very firm conviction that to put such a motto on coins, or to use it in any kindred manner, not only does no good but does positive harm, and is in effect irreverence, which comes dangerously close to sacrilege.

that's how a real christian and republican felt. not some faux wannabe vitriolic christian like you, mindia
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby leah » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:43 am

aw, goddammit. did someone say his name three times or what??

:boots:
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Gaazy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:33 am

I dont know why but when Leah cusses it makes me giggle hehe
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Gypsiyee » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:20 am

Narrock wrote:Solution: Leave it the fuck alone, cuz if you're offended by it, A: You're fucking retarded and overly sensitive, B. Stop reading currency (pick up a hobby imo), C. GTFO of America because we are founded on Judeo-Christian values. Don't like it? LEAVE.

and this is why being christian and being a historian are not the same thing.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Menelvir » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:24 am

Gypsiyee wrote:and this is why being christian and being a historian are not the same thing.

Reminds me of two sayings:

1. "Want to change the course of history? Become a historian!"

and

2. "History is written by the victors."
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Return to Cap's Alehouse