What do you hate most about your job?

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

What do you hate most about your job?

Postby Ganzo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:28 pm

I'll start:
After hours meetings with incosidetate people. Prime example, I'm now in a teleconference meeting with Japan, there's about 8 people from US and 12 from Japan on the call and for last 45 minutes Japanese people on both sides have been holding on a discussion IN JAPANESE!!!! WTF assholes couldn't schedule a separate meeting to discuss this shit at a separate time and have to subject us to 45 minutes of staring at the ceiling waiting for them to finish? I work 8-5 it's 6:30 now, and I have many other things I could be doing instead of listening to conversations in a language I don't speak. This shit happens all the time and those fuckers never even say "sorry, we need to hold this meeting in Japanese, everyone else a have a good night", just go on and on, than at random time switch to English and act like nothing happened. :biggun:
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Re: What do you hate most about your job?

Postby Zanchief » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:31 pm

You should nuke em.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Ganzo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:42 pm

Zanchief wrote:You should nuke em.

Agree
גם זה יעבור

Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Jay » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Not having one :P
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:30 pm

This pretty much covers it:

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Drem » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:41 am

people not doing their job
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:18 am

our clients usually require a shitload of patience to deal with, and sometimes there isn't enough to go around
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Menelvir » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:36 am

Easy question to answer. For me, it's:

Poor-quality, lackluster, uninspiring leadership.

The mere fact that an individual possesses a Ph.D. is no guarantee that they also have strong leadership skills, and anyone who believes otherwise is simply deluded.

In the private sector, this has a way of regulating itself -- in the public sector, not so much.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Ganzo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:20 am

Menelvir wrote:Easy question to answer. For me, it's:

Poor-quality, lackluster, uninspiring leadership.

The mere fact that an individual possesses a Ph.D. is no guarantee that they also have strong leadership skills, and anyone who believes otherwise is simply deluded.

In the private sector, this has a way of regulating itself -- in the public sector, not so much.

Not so much in the private sector ether. People who pump themselves up to the boss the most get promoted, not those who have the best qualities. Then you get idiots who don't know what is happening in their own department running it into the ground, all the good, qualified people find jobs somewhere else and the poor saps who didn't go early enough get overburdened with extra work and blamed for their bosses overpromissing on shit that can't be delivered. My last job was like that, the guy who barely got a bachelors degree was constantly chating himself up to the CEO taking credit for the work that suppliers did, so he was promoted (against the VP of the department wishes) to a manager, then he did even more bs'ing to the CEO since now he could actually have meetings with him as a manager, got the VP fired and was promoted to VP's job. In 3 months 2/3 of the people (including myself) from that department left the company, my friend who still works there told me that 4 out of 5 projects i was running that were supposed to finish between August and November have all now been delayed until next summer because the VP is running them himself and running them over budget and into the ground, lost half of the vendors that i built relationships with too, because he was asshole to them. Somehow, though he still manages to blame others for everything that goes wrong and keeps his job. I think that guy will be our president soon if he just gets to talk to the right people.
גם זה יעבור

Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Reynaldo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:20 pm

Ganzo wrote:Somehow, though he still manages to blame others for everything that goes wrong and keeps his job. I think that guy will be our president soon if he just gets to talk to the right people.

This.

Not so much in my current job but throughout my career, the most frustrating thing is the lack of accountability people, especially bosses, take for failures. And how adamant they can be in passing blame like they're almost angry at someone else for something they themselves screwed up. I guess it's a defense mechanism but soooo annoying.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tikker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Menelvir » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:22 am

People who pump themselves up to the boss the most get promoted, not those who have the best qualities.

This is unfortunate, but it seems to be the lynchpin in the "get noticed - move up" house that we've built for ourselves.

I guess it's the least least-desireable of the possible alternatives.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Return to Cap's Alehouse