Gay People and Straight Sensitivity towards them

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Gay People and Straight Sensitivity towards them

Postby Jay » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:32 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brooke-so ... 37294.html

First piece is from a lesbian who thinks the LGBT community should lighten up on straight people who ask very personal questions about their sexuality and use those moments as "teachable" moments.

https://dorimooneyham.wordpress.com/201 ... ht-people/

Second piece is a rebuttal of the first piece which accuses the writer of marginalizing real issues of the community.

Personally I see where the first writer was going with her piece. I think it was well intentioned and I think that going at things calmly rather than angrily is always the best way to go. I see it as saying, "let's be more inclusive" and I agree with that much.

Second piece comes off real cunty at first...well, tbh real cunty all the way through, but I do agree with a lot of bullets that she makes that being more inclusive and welcoming and letting things go does serve, to some extent, to marginalize issues that are still prevalent in their community.

Thoughts?

PS - It's a decent amount of reading
PPS - I picked this topic because I felt it would be fairly divided amongst our group
PPPS - Hello
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: Gay People and Straight Sensitivity towards them

Postby Harrison » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:02 am

I never understood homophobic behavior.

I also don't understand minority groups getting cunty and damaging their "cause" further.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Re: Gay People and Straight Sensitivity towards them

Postby brinstar » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:56 pm

hmm i dunno maybe because calling attention to the millions of ways they are socially mocked and marginalized, victimized by emotional/physical/economic abuse, and constantly targeted for hate crimes (up to and including violent assault and murder) seems more important than being nice about it for the sake of the precious feelings of those who don't have to suffer every single day of their lives in the shadow of such threats?

gay kids are getting bullied to the point of suicide in the year of our lord two thousand fifteen, and while i'm not saying you personally did any of the bullying, perhaps if you're more upset about how rude awareness advocates are about their literally life-and-death "cause" than you are about the crushing hostility that snuffs out these young souls then maybe you should reevaluate just how neutral you think you are
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Return to Cap's Alehouse