Study finds benefits to organic food vs non-organic

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Study finds benefits to organic food vs non-organic

Postby Arlos » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:09 pm

CNN article here: http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/18/health/or ... index.html

We've had discussions on here before, where it was suggested that organic food was just a waste of money and had no discernible benefits. Here we have an actual scientific study finding that they DO have benefits, at least for milk and meat, which is what they looked at.

Any thoughts?
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Study finds benefits to organic food vs non-organic

Postby Drem » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:25 pm

I knew it!
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Reynaldo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:25 am

Plus if you're worried about the whole parasite issues with organic foods, you can just immediately freeze everything you get since it doesn't lose any nutrients (except milk of course) and problem solved.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:35 pm

Arlos wrote:CNN article here: http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/18/health/or ... index.html

We've had discussions on here before, where it was suggested that organic food was just a waste of money and had no discernible benefits. Here we have an actual scientific study finding that they DO have benefits, at least for milk and meat, which is what they looked at.

Any thoughts?

Organic meats, milk could have more of good-for-you fats, study finds

The research is based on an analysis of 67 studies that were done over the last two decades comparing organic and nonorganic meats -- beef, chicken, pork, lamb and goat -- produced in Europe, the United States and Brazil. In a separate analysis, researchers looked at 196 studies of dairy -- mostly cow's milk but also goat's milk and buffalo milk, cheese, yogurt and other products -- from these same parts of the world.

Organic meats came out on top in the category of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, with 47% higher levels than their nonorganic counterparts. Omega-3s have been credited with a slew of health benefits -- lowering heart disease and inflammation and fending off cognitive decline.

I wouldn't read too much into this. This could be cherry picked, as it isn't even the researchers own data, just some studies he decided to use for his analysis. I do agree Omega 3s are valuable, but as our food pyramid is atrocious and our 'high glycemic and 'low fat' diets continue to cause numerous diseases, I think the root cause of health will continue to be missed which is caloric and carb restriction for the vast majority of people.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:46 pm

Okay, one study so far. (I realize it's a meta-analysis)

I'll wait for the peer review to hit it, because I'm not buying it.

Nutritional value can vary from one cucumber right to the next plant over from it. There is no global "organic" classification that will cover nutritional value.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:51 am

imo that's the real problem

the term "organic" means very different things in very different parts of the world. its definition really has to be standardized (or at least controlled for) if you want any clear scientific analysis

of course you know me, i immediately suspect that such obfuscation of clear analytical science is intentional on the part of the large corporate conglomerates whose armies of lobbyists keep elected officials bent to their will :badrazz:
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Return to Cap's Alehouse