A quandary...

Sidle up to the bar (Lightly Moderated)

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Postby Tossica » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:43 pm

Kizzy wrote:Toss, if they hire you on full time at your present place of employment, will this mean a higher rate of pay?

Yes. probably $3-5K annual raise + stock options (HUGE bennie. Everyone that has been with the company for 10+ years and taken full advantage of stock options is now financially secure, honestly), vacation, health insurance, 401K, corporate credit card, etc...

It's really tough to turn my back on it. Although, if I finish out my contract here and refuse their offer, I could possibly come crawling back at some later date... or, they might just laugh at me and say "You had your chance sucker!"
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:56 pm

And how important are full benefits for you? That's kinda a key one there. Permanent position = health care, vision care, dental care, employer matching on 401k's, the ability to actually take a vacation and not have the missed time impact your bottom line, similarly with missing a day or 2 with the flu, etc.

Also, what are your chances of being able to mold the permanent position at the current company? I don't know of too many places that discourage people from trying to take on more responsibility. So, while no doubt you'd not do as much as at the smaller firm, are you really truly as locked in to just 1 set of duties at the perm job as you're thinking?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: A quandary...

Postby Captain Insano » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:54 am

Tossica wrote:I have been contracting for a medical technology company off and on for a couple of years now. The job is "fine". I don't particularly enjoy the work but the people I work with are great and the days go by quickly. They are planning on offering me a permanent position here at the end of April. The company makes a LOT of money and is one of the better companies to work for in Minnesota.

Here is the dilemma...

I have another opportunity to continue contracting with another small, high tech company. The work is MUCH more what I enjoy doing and I would be learning a shitload of new skills. I would be making almost twice the hourly wage that I am making now but the amount of work depends on how busy the company is. If I joined them right now, I would be looking at about 20-40 hours a week but there is no guarantee that I won't go a few days here and there with no work.

Do I continue doing the same crap I am doing now, working 9-5 sitting in a cube working for "the man" making good money and great benefits or.... do I take a risk, go the 1099 route, hopefully make a buttload of money, do work I enjoy, possibly have much more free time (it would be nice to have an extra day or two a week to spend with my son when he is here for the summer), learn great new skills but give up the bennies and stability of the office job?

Guide me oh great NT massive.

Job-hop for sure. The days of working for a company for 20 years as a dedicated employee and actually being rewarded are DONE. Go work for the most money you can as fast as you can and do something productive with it, like buy rental properties or something.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby The Kizzy » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:06 am

Be safe, go with what you know. You've been there a while already, which may lead to promotions quicker, and possibly a higher payrate in the near future.
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Langston » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:04 am

In the IT industry, it's not necessarily about the instant gratification of promotion or pay. To be on top in this field, it's about WHAT you know.

Tossica has to choose between a position with risk but the chance of expanding what he knows and a comfortable, stable, yet stagnant position.

It really can be a tough decision.
Mindia wrote:I was wrong obviously.
Langston
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:44 am

There are a lot of really talented people out there jobless because they chose risky ventures.

There are a ton of mediocre IT professionals employed because they are in a stable situation.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby 10sun » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:57 am

Ask for tuition reimbursement so you can go to classes for further certifications at the health care job and make sure you are being paid for those certs as well.

-Adam
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Tossica » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:53 pm

Arlos wrote:And how important are full benefits for you? That's kinda a key one there. Permanent position = health care, vision care, dental care, employer matching on 401k's, the ability to actually take a vacation and not have the missed time impact your bottom line, similarly with missing a day or 2 with the flu, etc.

Also, what are your chances of being able to mold the permanent position at the current company? I don't know of too many places that discourage people from trying to take on more responsibility. So, while no doubt you'd not do as much as at the smaller firm, are you really truly as locked in to just 1 set of duties at the perm job as you're thinking?

-Arlos

The benefits are important.

The chances of molding the position are slim to none. I could take on more responsibility, sure... that's not necessarily what I want though. I want variety and challenge, not just more work. I would have to look at tranferring to a different dept like 2 years down the road if I wanted to be doing the kind of things that the other company offers.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:53 pm

Well, is transferring to the other dapartment impossible? I wouldn't think so, but then, I don't know the company.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Diekan » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:45 pm

I'm in the same boat, Toss. I know how you feel. I've been offered a MUCH higher paying (twice my current income) position with better hours, better benefits and better stability. My current position, however, is more science and I like the people much more. /shrug - it's a hard choice to make.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tossica » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:30 pm

Moment of truth has arrived...

I was officially offered both positions today...

FUCK! I told the place I work at today that I need until next Wed to decide.

I am no closer to a decision now than I was when I made the first post. Every time I think I have my mind made up, I think of something else to sway the vote.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Eziekial » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:27 pm

You know what makes a highly successful IT person? They are not complete computer geeks. Grow some balls or use a quarter. Worry more about enjoying your life and the people in it and less about your career. No one ever lies on their deathbed saying "I wish I would have taken that job in Toledo"
But what do I know. Either way, you will be OK. Good luck, Toss. :boots:
Eziekial
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:35 pm

Is it possible to be part time at the company you're at now? I mean it sounds like you don't know how the hours will be with the new company, but the new company sounds like a great opportunity.. if you were to be part time at your current company and not burn bridges, and the newer company doesn't pan out as well as you think, will the opportunity arise again at the company you're at now?
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tossica » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:37 pm

The part time thing won't work and even though I won't be burning any bridges here (they love me and would totally understand if I took another job), I doubt I will ever be offered another position. It's taken me a year as a contractor to get offered this one...
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Diekan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:48 pm

I'd always go for the money. Let's be realistic.... with money you can't enjoy your life, period. Money is what makes the world go 'round. I had to think about my situation then I realized... does it really matter what I do for 8 hours a day when I can bring in TWICE as much per week? Answer: fuck no it doesn't.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Captain Insano » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:03 pm

Kizzy wrote:Be safe, go with what you know. You've been there a while already, which may lead to promotions quicker, and possibly a higher payrate in the near future.

Take no risk = no chance at reward

Take risk = have a shot at greatness.

Working for the man without working for self on the side is a waste. If you do decide to stay in a steady job that is safe use your free time to pursue your own financial interests. Waiting around for the man to make your money is worthless.
Tossica: No, you're gay because you suck on cocks.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Mazzletoffarado: That's me fucktard
Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:43 pm

I put my notice in today. I start my new job in 2 weeks! Yay!
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Insanityfair » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:32 pm

Good luck Toss! :balloons:
Insanityfair
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby runamonk » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:52 pm

Good luck Toss, hope it all works out for ya.
-
runamonk/Braeleen/Vaelie/Zennish
runamonk
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Trielelvan » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:05 pm

Good luck hon :) I hope everything works out for the best!
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Lyion » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:14 pm

I'll loan you a box for when you are homeless.

Make sure you nab a good shopping cart early, too. :wink:
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:15 pm

Lyion wrote:I'll loan you a box for when you are homeless.

Make sure you nab a good shopping cart early, too. :wink:

I was going to say something along those lines but was trying to think of a really good insult.

Suffice to say I hope you fall on your face~
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby The Kizzy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:27 pm

I dont hope you fall on your face, I hope you succeed, good luck to you, Toss.
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Previous

Return to Cap's Alehouse