Migraines

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Postby 10sun » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:51 pm

You are ancient.

I've always gotten migraines, never had the naseau most people report however. Just think of your head as a raw egg and someone is trying to break the shell.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Arlos » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:05 am

I don't get the nausea much, or really only rarely, what happens to me more is my vision goes blurry to the point I can't see straight. Which sucks, because I find reading actually helps my headaches, as long as the light is not too bright, and is behind me. If I just lay there with my eyes closed, all I end up doing is thinking about how bad my head hurts, which of course just makes it worse. :/

And Kizzy, she said OldER, not Old. heh.

As for why they'd have started up recently, stress can certainly be a contributing factor, if you're undergoing any extra. I once had a headache that lasted for 5 weeks straight with no letup (not a migraine fortunately). They did a CT scan and everything, finally decided it was stress-related, and gave me better pain pills.

If you really can't cut out the cigarettes and the caffeine, go see a doctor about them. They have a whole new range of anti-migraine drugs now, that work infinitely better than anything you'll find over-the-counter.

I don't remember all the physiology behind it, but if I remember right, the mechanism behind Migraines is actually rather different than normal headaches, and is related to the blood flow to the brain. (can't remember if it's constriction or dilation that does it). As a result, normal pain drugs really don't do more than take the edge off, but migraine-specific ones deal with the root cause.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:51 am

I rarely get headaches but when I do I am fairly sure they classify as a migraine.

I usually have to call up a pillhead to find a painkiller just to get through the day. I'm talking pain that makes me puke though...

not "oww this sucks" pain.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Mop » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:34 am

I would cut back caffine first and try getting a gallon of water a day.

Caffine will dehydrate you then that lack of water in your system will cause headaches it happens quite often.
Narrock wrote:I don't like rabbits. They remind me of this chick I met on teh internet like 5 years ago.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby vonkaar » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:45 am

My 'story' is similar to Arlos' (scary how many of my stories mirror his...). They basically ended by giving me two options... I can treat the migraines when they occur (ouch, ooh quick... take a pill) or I can try to prevent them entirely. I'm bad at taking pills every day, so I tried the first option initially. That was Imitrex. It actually works really well IF... and that's a big IF you take the pill as SOON as you think you are getting the 'pinch'. If you are in the middle of a full-blown migraine, tough shit... hope you have some opiate with you (vicodin, etc). My problem was, I often experienced my worst migraines in the middle of the night... so the imitrex was useless.

Sooo... I went back and asked for the Blue pill. That is called Topamax. It was initially developed to fight epilepsy, oddly enough. Apparently it's a pretty powerful drug. As it turned out... it's worked wonders. My migraines have seriously subsided... I can't tell you when the last BAD one was... when it used to be at least a weekly thing. There are some good and bad bits on this treatment though... first, it's pretty reactive towards other prescriptions. It's a real "treatment" plan. You have to have your blood taken... you go back after 60 days to make sure it's not turning you into a Finawin or another vegetable... you have to 'ramp up' your pills... 1 pill a day for the first week, 2 pills a day for the second week... 3 from then on out... etc. If you are a big med-head, all this is pretty standard stuff though... so... np.

The biggest drawback for ME, however was one of the 'listed' side-effects... and it hit me pretty hard...

hell, I'll copy them for convenience...
Serious risks associated with TOPAMAX may include increased eye pressure (glaucoma), decreased sweating, increased body temperature, kidney stones, sleepiness, dizziness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Tell your doctor immediately if you have blurred vision or eye pain. More common side effects are tingling in arms and legs, loss of appetite, nausea, diarrhea, taste change and weight loss. Your doctor may do simple blood tests to check for changes in electrolytes. Tell your doctor about other medications you take.

Red=Me. It made me a huge ditz. I'm a little more used to it now (I've been on it since Thanksgiving)... but for a while, I was pretty blonde. People at work noticed it... my friends, family... gf... everyone saw a change. I was fairly spaced out. It was especially bad when I switched from the 1 pill a day to the 2 pill week. Obviously this is listed under the 'rare' side-effects, so it's not likely to happen to you... just thought I'd point it out. Oh, the other thing is... I lost about 12lbs with this pill. I also dieted, but... I mean, it was the first diet I've ever done in my life and it basically consisted of "eat less." No way I should have lost 12 lbs (still dropping too... ) from a 'slight' increase in working out and a 'slight' diet... I blame this pill!

Aaaanyway... I know there are other meds out there... those are my experiences with those 2.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Mop » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:01 am

Ok longer answer now -

Migraines have a lot of causes - ranging from food to low blood pressure.

Food allergies are a huge cause. Food allergies ar ehard to define and hard to notice - some allergies have horrid effects - other food allergies like wheat have subtle allergies.

Diet will balance out alot of problems with migranes from low blood pressure - food allergies ect. I would try a detox diet for 4 -5 days if you get migranes on a regular basis. This will flush out your system ( specificly your liver and lower intestines) This may help balance your body system to help reduce migranes or get rid of migranes.

Next thing I could suggest is get a foam roller - it is basically a item that will give yo ua self thai massage - aplying pressure within the upper back muscles will help relieve tension that may cause a migraine
Narrock wrote:I don't like rabbits. They remind me of this chick I met on teh internet like 5 years ago.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby The Kizzy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:38 am

Thanks for all the opinions and solutions.

Come to think of it CLOSE YOUR EYES GUYS, I have been on my period for a month now. I thought it was because of my birth control, but I have been under a HUGE amount of stress recently. I have a migraine right now and all I can think about is going out to smoke. It's too cold though.

I don't take pills, unless my doctor prescribes them, and even then I have to be forced to. I believe that when you have a pain like a migraine or a leg cramp, or an eye twitch, instead of medicating yourself to make the problem go away, you should take care of the problem. If you r leg is cramped fromover exertion, then yoiu should stretch better. If you have a headache because of loud music or stress, get rid of the loud music or stress.

That's just me though.

Oh, Mop, here is another question for you related to the dehydration. I drank 12 20 oz bottles of water in a 10 hour period the other day. I was just very thirsty. Then I didn't pee for 2 days, then I peed this morning, and I swear I was on the toilet full stream for at least 10 minutes. It was weird.
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Mop » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:39 am

THat is bizzare could be a lot of things, if it continues to happen I would talk to your doctor.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby The Kizzy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:59 am

you are my doctor fool, I hope you take Cigna
Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Martrae » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:21 pm

Silv, if you have been bleeding for a month and experiencing migraines see your doctor now.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby The Kizzy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:02 pm

I have an appointment next week.
Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Martrae » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:02 pm

Good :)
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Darcler » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:12 pm

I bled for alittle over a month. It was a combination of just having the baby and Depo. Because of the blood loss, I was having headaches, not migraines, but bad headaches.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Martrae » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:14 pm

I hope you're not trying to breastfeed, Darcler. Depo dries you up....which I found out the hard way with our second.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Darcler » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:20 pm

My boobie river hath run dry long ago. She never took to it, and I started slacking during the nights with pumping, so I just said to hell with it, she got a month of boobie milk, formula all the way!

TMI INC~
If I lean funny on my boobs for too long or if they are *messed* with, I leak, but I doubt I will be able to go back to pumping again.....or can i?
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Martrae » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:22 pm

You can...it just would take a lot of work.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tacks » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:28 pm

boobs are cool, except when you talk about them leaking.

leave the leaking part out and then talk about them again please.

K, go!
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Darcler » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:32 pm

It's cold outside. I just came in from outside. My nipples are hard from being outside.

My boobs are also bigger than I like. I am hoping they shrink a size when my baby weight goes away.

:boobs:
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Tacks » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:35 pm

That's better
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tadpole » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:04 pm

share pics
Tadpole
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tacks » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:05 pm

covered in saran wrap
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Darcler » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:07 pm

Those will NOT be posted on NT. Stop trying :)
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Tadpole » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:51 pm

Any chick with nice breasts wouldn't be afraid to share them.
Tadpole
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Darcler » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:53 pm

I dont like the "WHORE!" posts that follow though.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Tadpole » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:54 pm

Oh, we wouldn't call you a whore. Only Garg would, and she has no room to talk.
Tadpole
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum