Nutritional Article of the week: Omega fatty Acids

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Nutritional Article of the week: Omega fatty Acids

Postby Mop » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:34 am

Wait wait - You're telling me to eat fat? eat fat to loose weight? You're even saying to eat the fat off a spoon if I have too? wtf???

There are good fats, there are bad fats, bad fats will do a number on the body, good fats though will do many good things for the body:

- Lower blood pressure
- Help clear out arteries
- burn fat
- help skin/ organs function
- many more reasons to indgest these fats.

Well what are good fats, well a certain type would be Omega fatty acids usually found in fishes - which is why salmon, white fish are so good for you. You can also find them in bottled form, imo UDO's makes the best as it is the most balanced. There are different types of Omega fatty acids and you want a balance of all of them in your diet for the most part...

here are som articals more in depth on the subject
Narrock wrote:I don't like rabbits. They remind me of this chick I met on teh internet like 5 years ago.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Mop » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:34 am

To answer this question, let me give you a better understanding of the importance of long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids. The two long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids that are most important are docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Unlike other nutrients in our diet, the long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids are not found in many foods. This is why nutritional experts have found that most Americans are not getting nearly enough of these key nutrients.

Essential fatty acids are polyunsaturated fatty acids that the human body needs for normal metabolic function but cannot produce. Therefore, they have to be acquired from food. Essential fatty acids are made up of mainly Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids. The typical American diet consumes far too many Omega-6 fats while consuming very low levels of Omega-3 fats. The ideal ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 fats to promote good health is anywhere from 3:1 to 1:1. Today the ratio of the abundant Omega-6 fats to the scarce Omega-3 fats averages from 20:1 to 50:1. This imbalance is not healthy and must be corrected.

A great deal of the problem is due to the overabundance of Omega-6 fats in our diet. The primary sources of Omega-6 fats are vegetable oils like corn, soy, canola, safflower, and sunflower. Trans fatty acids (trans fat) are made through hydrogenation to solidify oils to increase shelf-life. Heating Omega-6 oils to high temperatures creates trans fat. Trans fats are found in shortenings, some margarines, commercial pastries, fried foods, crackers, cookies, and snack foods.

Omega-3 fatty acids come in two groups, short-chain and long-chain. Short-chain Omega-3 fats are found in flaxseed oil, walnuts, and some green vegetables. A small amount of these fats (between 1% to 9%) are converted to long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids by the body. The rest are used primarily for energy.

Long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids are only produced by marine algae and are the source of DHA and EPA in fish. The fish feed on the algae and thus bring the Omega-3 fats into their systems. Cold-water fish are the only substantial source of DHA and EPA in our diets today. Recommended fish are tuna, sardines, salmon, mackerel, and herring. Sadly, we are finding that tuna is becoming increasingly contaminated with mercury and other organic pollutants that have found their way into the marine food chain. We are likely to add other cold-water fish to the list in the future. We also know that most Americans do not eat the recommended two meals of fish per week. Experts conclude that the average adult consumes less than 100 mg of DHA per day. The body needs at least 3 to 4 times that amount for proper nutrition.

DHA and EPA are vital for human health and development. From the earliest weeks of pregnancy to adulthood, the heart, brain and eyes depend on DHA and EPA for healthy development and function. The body does not use these long-chain Omega-3 fats for energy. Literally, 100% of these nutrients are used to protect the body and promote good health. Long-chain Omega-3 fats have significant anti-inflammatory properties and counteract the inflammatory properties found in Omega-6 fats. DHA and EPA inhibit platelet function causing blood to clot less readily. The Omega-6 fats do just the opposite, so again the long-chain Omega-3 fats keep the body in the proper balance. The importance of Omega-3 fats simply in regards to the excess of Omega-6 fats is more significant than ever.

However, the health benefits of DHA and EPA are much more extensive. The direct evidence that they reduce coronary heart disease and reduce sudden cardiac death is so compelling that the American Heart Association recommends 1 gram of long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids per day for those with known coronary heart disease. This is the first time they have ever recommended a nutritional supplement.

There is a great deal of scientific evidence that DHA and EPA also protect the brain significantly. The long-chain Omega-3 fats appear to reduce Alzheimer disease, post-partum depression, bi-polar disease and depression.

Long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids are currently used as alternative therapies in a wide range of illnesses like Crohn’s disease, diabetes, Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis, hypertriglyceridemia, eczema, and Lupus.

The good news is that while the long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids are found only in fish, we can extract them easily from the fish and leave the mercury and organic pollutants behind. Fish oil capsules contain no mercury. Mercury (actually methyl mercury, the toxic form) is water-soluble, not oil-soluble. Refining fish oil removes the possibility of organic pollutant contamination. The result is that we have a safe effective remedy to increasing Omega-3 fats in our diets.

The use of Omega-3 fatty acids supplements will become an increasingly significant wellness strategy. A supplement that consists of a high concentration of EPA and DHA is recommended. A supplement with an EPA/DHA ratio of 2:1 is best. The long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids are already being added to infant formula and food products but for now a fish oil supplement is the best and safest option
Narrock wrote:I don't like rabbits. They remind me of this chick I met on teh internet like 5 years ago.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Mop » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:38 am

Saturated and unsaturated fatty acids are the two classifications of fat. Saturated fats, which are solid at room temperature, are very detrimental to heart health because they contribute to high levels of cholesterol in the body. Unsaturated fats (mono- and polyunsaturated), which are liquid at room temperature, have many positive health outcomes. An inappropriate balance of essential, polyunsaturated fatty acids can contribute to the development of disease while a proper balance helps maintain and even improve health. This article will focus on providing the difference between the two most popular polyunsaturated fats, omega-6 and omega-3, and their associated health benefits.

Omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids are essential polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA’s), which cannot be made from scratch by body cells; nor can the cells convert one to the other. They must be provided by the diet.

Essential fatty acids (EFA’s) have many very important functions, most notably as acting like hormones, regulating blood pressure, blood clot formation, blood lipids, the immune response, and the inflammation response to injury and infection. In addition, EFA’s also serve as structural parts of cell membranes, constitute a major part of the lipids of the brain and nerves, and are essential to normal growth and vision in infants and children.

Omega-6 vs. Omega-3 Fatty Acids

The omega-6 fatty acid, linoleic acid, is found in many popular vegetable oils (see figure 1) and is consumed in excess in our society. This could lead to significant health problems because a high consumption of linoleic acid can lead to an increase in the production of eicosanoids that are involved in inflammatory, cardiovascular, and immunological diseases.

The omega-3 fatty acid, alpha-linolenic acid, is not as abundant as linoleic acid but it is readily available in most health food stores (see figure 1 for sources). Unfortunately, because it is not as easy to locate as linoleic acid, alpha-linolenic acid is not consumed in large amounts in today’s society. This omega-3 fat has very positive health outcomes including some of the following:

Decreasing risk for coronary artery disease

Decreasing hypertension

Improving insulin sensitivity for individuals with Type 2 diabetes

Reducing tenderness in joints with individuals with rheumatoid arthritis

Assisting with proper development of the brain cerebral cortex

Assisting with proper retina formation for proper vision

Decreasing inflammatory disorders

Protecting against stroke caused by plaque buildup and blood clots

Lowering triglycerides and raising HDL levels

Biochemistry of Omega-6 and Omega-3 Fatty Acids

The omega-6 fat, linoleic acid, is converted to arachadonic acid in the body. The omega-3 fat, alpha-linolenic acid, is converted to eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). EPA and DHA, found primarily in cold-water fish such as tuna, salmon, and mackeral, are the byproducts of alpha-linolenic acid oxidation that produce the positive health outcomes mentioned previously.

Recommendations

Omega-6 and omega-3 essential fatty acids are best consumed in a ratio of 3:1 to maximize positive health benefits. Unfortunately, the ratio that exists in modern Western diets ranges from 10-30:1. The reason such a low ratio is important is because the omega-6 fatty acids compete with the omega-3 fatty acids for the same desaturation and elongation enzymes. And because Western culture diets include so many omega-6 fats compared to omega-3 fats, very little omega-3 fats are converted into the healthy EPA and DHA compounds.

Conclusions

It is best if the body has more alpha-linolenic (omega-3) fatty acids in order to produce more EPA and DHA and less linoleic (omega-6) fatty acids, which produces arachadonic acid and overpowers the conversion of EPA and DHA.

Eating cold-water fish 3-4 times per week and increasing the consumption of flaxseed oil is recommend. Beware of taking fish oil supplements as the research does not provide a clear message regarding their safety. Omega-3 fatty acids are among the most vulnerable of the lipids to damage by oxidation, and researchers are investigating whether individuals taking fish oil supplements may experience an increase in the potentially harmful oxidative reactions. Supporters of taking fish oil supplements recommend taking between 3-10 grams per day for cardioprotective benefits.

Concentrate on educating clients about the differences between omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids and more importantly, where to find each and how to best incorporate them into existing eating patterns. Whether it is through supplementation or food is the individual’s end decision.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Phlegm » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:30 pm

Omega-3 fatty acids are among the most vulnerable of the lipids to damage by oxidation, and researchers are investigating whether individuals taking fish oil supplements may experience an increase in the potentially harmful oxidative reactions. Supporters of taking fish oil supplements recommend taking between 3-10 grams per day for cardioprotective benefits.

So are they or are they not recommending taking omega-3 supplements?
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Mop » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:42 am

in pill form they are ass. if you do take the supplments, they need to be stored cold in a liquid state- if they are warm they hold almost no value and become counterproductive.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Phlegm » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:09 am

so buy liquid gel pills and throw it in the freezer?
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Trielelvan » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:48 pm

I think he means better to find them in a health store where they are refrigerated already and keep them that way perhaps? I have never seen them refrigerated, but then again, I've never looked either.
Fish oil goes rancid very quickly, and once oxidized, you aren't getting any nutritional value from it anyway. Better to spend a few extra bucks on something that is going to actually do you some good.
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:28 pm

no he means buy the liquid and not the pill form
like flax seed oil - need to by the stuff that is sold in a frige and then store it in the frige... another good one is Udo's blended oil
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Trielelvan » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:21 pm

Sorry, my wording was bad - yeah that's what I figured as far as buying the stuff already liquid that's sold in a fridge.
But do you mean like a whole bottle of fish oil? Or do they come in gel caps?
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Harrison » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:33 pm

I like fish :boots:
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Trielelvan » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:40 pm

Good, I have sushi for you.
Interpret that as you see fit. :devil:

Seriously however, I do as well, but I can't imagine downing a spoonful of fish oil *shiver* Blech...
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Mop » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:40 am

They come in oil form, Flax seed, fish oil are the most common. Some places sell Udo's oil which is a balance of all omega oils in one - and probally the best for you.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Azlana » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:32 pm

is canned salmon good too, or is it more concentrated in fresh? Also, isn't there a lot of Omega 3 in spinach?
paralyzism
Azlana
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Mop » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:39 pm

Yes to the fish that is better than the oils, 9 times out of ten actual whole foods are better than supplments.

Spinach does, but you have to eat a ton of it to get what your body would need..
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Azlana » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:27 pm

I'm confused - I wasn't talking about supplements, just canned salmon vs fresh salmon.
paralyzism
Azlana
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Mop » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:07 pm

sorry I am an idiot today, fresh would be better - canned sits too long for the most part.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Harrison » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:32 pm

Salmon made me sick when I pulled out a fucking spine that crumbled in my hand.

(I know it's "normal" but I am accustomed to other fish found up here in New England without bones in it so thoroughly)
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Narrock » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:48 pm

Fish is disgusting. Take the vitamin form.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Phlegm » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:07 pm

Before I run out and get Udo, what exactly does it taste like?
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Mop » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:54 am

uh it tastes like Oil =p I use it in shakes it is the easiest way to ingest it, since it can't be heated/coooked
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum