To tan or not to tan, that is the qwestihtgha

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Postby Eziekial » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:00 pm

So me hitting the beach every once in a while and getting nice and brown a bad thing?
Eziekial
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Xaiveir » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:44 am

Scoota McGee wrote:Tanning is not healthy. It's how your body tries to protect itself from exposure to dangerous UV rays. I think it's pretty weird we find this attractive... but I guess it could be worse.

Maybe the next bad for you but looks good fad will be rug burns or scabs.

Just found this thread again, i had meant to post.

First off Tanning is healthy, in moderate use. A tan is the bodies natural defense against burning. Its burning that causes skin cancer, not tanning itself. In moderate use tanning can actually be very beneficial. It is provides the body with Vitamin D. Doctors say the body does not get nearly enough Vitamin D. The bodies main source of vitamin D is from the sun, wich the average american does not get enough of.

Also getting more vitamin D has been known to battle 23 different forms of cancer. UV light also stimulates the thyroid gland, wich boosts your metabolism. Increased UV exposure has also been linked to a 50% reduction in occurence of cavities in teeth.. Studies have also shown that tanning has the same effect on the body as excercise; decreased blood pressure, lower resting heart rate and helps break down cholesterol.

Indoor tanners are also 80% less likely to sunburn outdoors than non-tanners. This will decrease the chance of getting skin cancer.

Now its the tanners that over use tanning that appear like the picture above. The "leather" look is from too much exposure, because its dries out the skin. While in a tanning bed make sure to use a INDOOR tanning lotion, and facial tanning lotion, and stay moisturized outside of tanning as well to avoid that look.

A great alternative to UV light (if you burn easily, or have been recommended by a doctor to stay out of the sunlight) is the Mystic Tan. Delivers a great tan, and the solution is 65 % aloe vera. You can use that in conjuction with the tanning beds to acheive color, and then build your base tan underneath. Mystic tan is also the official tanning of the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. WHen you see them tanned, its because of the Mystic.

That was a perk of the tanning conventions in Vegas i go to, i got to hang out with them because i have the Mystic Tan unit in my salon.

Tanning also alleviates SAD. SAD is the feeling alot of people get during the winter months when the weather is shitty. Ever notice people are happier during sunny days/months???

To answer your question Garg, no we dont do nails, we have a nail place 2 doors down though, and a hair salon, and a womens workout facility all in the same parking lot though. We do do massage, an Infra Red sauna, and a licensed Aestitician here as well though (facials, waxing, skin care).

Hope this information helps to people that are on the bubble about tanning or not. Remember tan slow, a sunburn is an injury to the skin on top of a tan. Its a popular misconception that you have to burn in order to get tan. Avoid burning at all costs.

Here is my salons website http://www.alohatanningco.com

Let me know if you want more info :wink:
Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Previous

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum