Page 2 of 2
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:10 pm
by Jay
That was also mentioned in the ps3 forums lol.
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:16 am
by vonkaar
The heat is hardly noticable unless you are running an overclocked C2D in a tiny room or something crazy like that. I used to OC like crazy and had 340w of heat dumped into my room and F@H never made much of a difference.
Thanks for joining everyone =)
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:55 pm
by Darcler
The bottom of my laptop is much hotter than normal, I'm having to put a book underneath it to put it on my legs

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:45 pm
by vonkaar
oh
yeah... don't run this on a laptop.
repeat
do not run F@H on a laptop
The cooling on mobile CPUs aren't equipped to handle that kind of load.
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:20 am
by Gaazy
Oops.
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:50 pm
by Darcler
lol oops.
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:20 am
by vonkaar
Bump!
For you PS3 owners...
F@H momentarily broke 1 petaflop of power! That's freaking insane. Best part is the fact that an incredible amount of power is coming from the playstation clients. Help out your fellow man and get the PS3 client today!
Oh, and fold under my name...
jk, use whatever you want.
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:33 am
by Gaazy
Actually was thinking about this a couple days ago. Ive got 3 or 4 computers here today Ill make everyone install the bastard on haha
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:47 am
by Tossica
It buries the CPU on my old desktop machine but I've had it running for a couple of months.
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:49 am
by Gaazy
I had it running on my laptop for a while, then he said bad idea

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:18 am
by vonkaar
Well, lots of the overclockers crew folds on a laptop but you have to know what you are doing... there is an option (-battery, I think) that will turn it off when you unplug... and that helps... but there are so many other things that you'd need to change that I don't think it's worth it.
and if you are going to fold under my name, it's vonkaar and team is 32 =)
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:20 am
by Gaazy
Ya Ive had it running under your name before. Gonna try to add a few computers to it today
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:22 am
by Gaazy
Ok, just added this comp to it.
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:22 am
by Tossica
I have been running under 32 but under Tossica.
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:26 am
by Gaazy
Im as Gaazy-NT, if i get these other work comps on it ill make them GaazyNT1, Gaazy-NT2. etc.
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:29 am
by vonkaar
No, don't do that. Keep all the machines the same, that way your points will add up together as they should. Team 32, yes? =)
Like... on stanford's stats page...
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... me=vonkaar
It shows that I have 49 processors folding under my name. That's how I got so many points over the past few years. I mean, if you wanted to check individual computer results, just use fahmon to monitor them... but always fold under a single username.
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:32 am
by Gaazy
k, so make them all Gaazy-NT? And yes im under team 32, it still says loading on my screen for it here tho ><
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:54 am
by vonkaar
It might take a while for the initial WU.
If you have dual-core machines, you can get CRAZY points by using the SMP client.
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:48 am
by Tossica
My old Athlon 700 ain't cutting it! Maybe it's time I bought a new desktop?

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:45 am
by vonkaar
God man... you can get an entire Pentium-D system for like $500 these days.
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:50 am
by Arlos
Heh, what do you get for all those points anyway?
-Arlos
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:52 am
by 10sun
You claim you were instrumental to X factor for the cure of Y genetic disease.
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:55 pm
by vonkaar
Pretty much
It's nothing more than that, really... There is a slight competitiveness to it, so 'my team' beats 'your team' but ultimately, it's about the scientific results. I'm ranked number 240 of 734,919 in the world. My goal is to make it into the top100 some day. Nothing happens, I don't get a medal or a parade... I just feel good about it =). Hopefully there will be some major breakthrough and they'll cure parkinsons or prostate cancer... if not, at least I really helped out in this quest of knowledge. We'll know SO much more about the characteristics of protein. Cure or no cure, that knowledge is worth something.
Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:05 pm
by Tossica
vonkaar wrote:God man... you can get an entire Pentium-D system for like $500 these days.
I use my laptop for just about everything these days. The desktop is always on but doesn't get much use these days. Perfect for F@H. I'll look in to buying a new desktop in the next 6 months or so probably.
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:38 am
by mappatazee
Jay wrote:On the PS3 forums this guy talks about how he left his PS3 on folding all day and his room temp went up 6 degrees (small room).
So pros and cons of Folding @ Home
Pros:
Helping researchers learn more about the diseases of today in hopes they will potentially be able to figure out a cure
Hardly uses up resources
Cons:
Causes global warming
shit it goes up 6 degrees in my house every day if i don't regulate the temperature. lol.