Page 1 of 4
Southern Baptist Churches propose exit from public schools
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:57 am
by Martrae
Proposed Southern Baptist Resolution:
Develop Exit Strategy from Public Schools
A resolution calling for Southern Baptist churches to develop an exit strategy from public schools is being proposed by Roger Moran, member of the SBC Executive Committee and a homeschooling father, and Houston attorney Dr. Bruce Shortt.
The resolution identifies the systemic problems within public education and the damage it's causing to Christian children. The proponents hope that the resolution will be considered by the Southern Baptist Convention when it meets June 13-14 in Greensboro, North Carolina.
The debate over Christian education has been continuing within the Southern Baptist church as more church leaders recognize that public schooling is no longer serving the goals of the church.
In particular, in June 2005, Dr. Albert Mohler, President of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, called for all responsible Southern Baptists to begin developing an exit strategy from public schools.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:07 am
by Zanchief
You don't actually agree with this fucknugget do you?
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:29 am
by Martrae
Hmm...do I, as a homeschooling parent, disagree with pulling your kids from public school....let me think about that one.
I just think it's fascinating that they are proposing the entire Southern Baptist congregation pull their kids from public school. Will most parents do it? I doubt it, but it's interesting that it's even being suggested on such a huge scale.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:31 am
by Ginzburgh
I just think it's fascinating that they are proposing the entire Southern Baptist congregation pull their kids from public school. Will most parents do it?
I doubt it considering most of them live in trailers and probably can't afford new shoes for their kids let alone a tuition for a private school education.
Re: Southern Baptist Churches propose exit from public schoo
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:35 am
by Zanchief
Martrae wrote:Hmm...do I, as a homeschooling parent, disagree with pulling your kids from public school....let me think about that one.
I just think it's fascinating that they are proposing the entire Southern Baptist congregation pull their kids from public school. Will most parents do it? I doubt it, but it's interesting that it's even being suggested on such a huge scale.
So you think that "the systemic problem within public education" is the damage it does to Christian Children? I thought it had to do with zombies or vampirism or something?
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:41 am
by Gidan
church leaders recognize that public schooling is no longer serving the goals of the church.
Love that line. Never knew the schools were there to serve the goals of the church.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:46 am
by Martrae
You misread. It said there is a systemic problem with public education and it's having an effect on Christian children. Not that the problem is the damage done solely to Christain kids.
That part isn't what I was pointing out, however. The fact that an enormous congregation like the Southern Baptists would seriously suggest this is amazing.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:08 am
by KaiineTN
This country does not need Churches to raise the next generation of its potential leaders. That will cause so many problems... People need to experience diverse environments, not environments filled with people who see things through a shared acute perspective that avoids or thinks negatively of others.
The focus should be on the personal growth of the children and the individual responsibility of them to see different things as acceptable, right, or wrong. That is not something that is "Christian" in nature. It is something that everyone has and must develop based on their own preferences.
Isolating children from the diversity of the world will have huge psychological consequences later in life... If you need an example, go check out that psycho religious girl video.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:16 am
by Martrae
I don't even know where to begin....
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:22 am
by KaiineTN
I think public schools are a great thing. In their current state, they could definitely be improved though. But, they will never cater to "Christian" expectations. And for some reason, these Christians seem to find that unacceptable? I don't understand. ~_~
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:41 am
by Donnel
Ginzburgh wrote: I just think it's fascinating that they are proposing the entire Southern Baptist congregation pull their kids from public school. Will most parents do it?
I doubt it considering most of them live in trailers and probably can't afford new shoes for their kids let alone a tuition for a private school education.
O.o
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:53 am
by Martrae
KaiineTN wrote:I think public schools are a great thing. In their current state, they could definitely be improved though. But, they will never cater to "Christian" expectations. And for some reason, these Christians seem to find that unacceptable? I don't understand. ~_~
You do know that a good majority of the current crop of politicians went to private Christian schools, right? You'd be hard pressed to find any that went to public school.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:59 am
by KaiineTN
Jesse Ventura ;p
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:45 am
by Ginzburgh
You do know that a good majority of the current crop of politicians went to private Christian schools, right? You'd be hard pressed to find any that went to public school.
So you're using that as a bad example of private christian schools right?
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:50 am
by ClakarEQ
Jesse retired I thought.
Just like the society thread in everything else. You go with the flow and if you dont' like STFU.
devils advocate /on
The majority of the US is christian, why shouldn't my tax dollars go towards the opinions of the majority, we are thought of as democratic, no?
/off
mild sarcasm /on
You know we do need churchs because religion is about the only thing left to help the majority get a baseline of right and wrong.
/off
To the point of this post though, and the typical response you'd get from me, While I care deeply what my childeren are taught in school, if I can't trump whatever thought process's / ideaolgoy(sp) that they are taught in school with my own 2cp, then I've got some respect issues I need to work out between my hand and their butts LOL.
Seriously tho, the parents of the SBC are at fault, not the schools. If you're SBC, then TEACH your kids, stop watching american idol, and stop killing chickens, snakes and shit
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:23 am
by Tikker
Martrae wrote:KaiineTN wrote:I think public schools are a great thing. In their current state, they could definitely be improved though. But, they will never cater to "Christian" expectations. And for some reason, these Christians seem to find that unacceptable? I don't understand. ~_~
You do know that a good majority of the current crop of politicians went to private Christian schools, right? You'd be hard pressed to find any that went to public school.
hrm, so you're saying that private christian groups crank out crooks, liars, theives?
sounds about right
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:34 am
by Tossica
Haha. Silly christians.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:49 am
by Ginzburgh
Ironically the public school my GF (who is a special ed teacher) works at was just voted 2nd best high school in the state and 415 in the top 1000 in the country. That is a figure that includes all schools in CT, both private and public and you can imagine how many (good) private schools are in CT.
Granted, the average annual income of the parents in the town she teaches in is probably high six to seven figures but it's still a public school that is competing with private schools that have a tuition comparable to any ivy league college. So the parents of most of those kids are probably pretty wealthy too.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:12 am
by Martrae
You guys are so silly.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:14 am
by Zanchief
Martrae wrote:You guys are so silly.
Silly "Lets raise our kids to be stunted social rejects", or the other kind?
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:17 am
by Martrae
Other kind, of course.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:19 am
by Ginzburgh
Mart, what prompted your decision to homeschool your kid? Bad school system where you live?
Note* I am not trying to be a dick, I am just curious to know.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:22 am
by Zanchief
I'll probably be a dick when you answer though.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:24 am
by Captain Insano
Zanchief wrote:You don't actually agree with this fucknugget do you?
I don't, but I have to say this could provide much needed leverage for the creation of a voucher based private education system this country greatly needs.
Use religion to beat the teacher's unions and then expand upon the idea once they have been trumped.
Posted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:26 am
by Lionking
http://sepschool.org/
What is "Separation of School & State"?
In order to improve education, we need to return to "Honest Education" and the first step is to free the schools from politics.
This means the separating schools from federal, state, and local government involvement in attendance, financing, content, and teaching methods.
Today, the politically strong use government schools, like government churches of yesteryear, to undermine the weak.
Two centuries ago, Americans decided that politics is too nasty to be involved in Church and Sunday-school. We need to make the same decision for Monday-school, Tuesday-school, and Wednesday-school, etc.
We're Americans. We can free the schools from politics by separating them from the state!