Page 1 of 1

Ok

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:17 pm
by Narrock
Barry FINALLY did something I can respect.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090424/ap_ ... edit_cards

Re: Ok

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:19 pm
by leah
ugh i would love to see this. the card that we used to buy our stupid gigantic plasma tv was supposed to have 0% financing for 18 months or something like that. two or three months in, and it's now collecting interest. wtf? *sigh*

Re: Ok

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:21 pm
by Gidan
I find alot of those cards are 0% interest for 18 months IF you pay it off in 18 months, after 18months, all the interest for the first 18 months is dumped on the balance.

Re: Ok

Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:26 pm
by Narrock
Banks are sneaky bastards. Get a credit card from a credit union. Heck, I'm thinking of dropping B of A (B of A sucks more than anything has sucked before), and opening a checking & savings account here:

https://www.schools.org/

or this one: https://www.golden1.com/

I'm leaning more towards Schools Financial Credit Union. The rates are a little better, and they offer discount tickets to theme parks. lol

Re: Ok

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:50 am
by Darcler
We've had very few problems with BoA :dunno:

Re: Ok

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:28 am
by Gypsiyee
I've heard tons of horror stories about BoA lately. My boss, who's had them for many many years, earns well over 6 figures, low debt to income ratio - they just more than doubled his interest and lowered his limit without any notification until a letter after they'd already done it. He was livid, refinanced it to another company immediately. I know a lot of banks are lowering limits right now, but to double your interest and lower your limit by almost half is a little extreme.

My dad got his TV at circuit city on a 0% interest card.. when they went out of business I tried to warn him that he'd likely get that 0% snapped and have a huge interest rate - he went into how that's illegal and blah blah, told him it wasn't, he didn't refinance, and the last bill he got noted a 197% APR. I figured maybe it was like the cumulative interest they sometimes put on your statement to note the total charges you've gotten on things like cash advances etc, but no - 197% was the only rate listed on his bill.

Me, I've been really lucky with Citi. I told them I was going to refinance to a credit union card because I have a fairly high revolving balance (it's my only card that I make every big purchase on) and they were offering me lower APR than the 9.99 I had with Citi and that way I could get rid of the cash advance charges too, so they lowered my APR to 4.99 for 12 billing cycles and 6.99 fixed thereafter and rolled my cash advance balance to my purchase balance so that interest would be applicable to my entire debt, no more high fees for the cash advance.. couldn't really complain. I know they've been in trouble lately, but they just did that about a month ago. I figure they would've been glad to let me take my debt elsewhere like AE did with the giving away money to close your account. Kind of surprised they talked me into staying. Long as I keep paying 600+ a month on it it should be paid off fairly quickly.

Re: Ok

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:02 am
by Jay
I think the Citi plat and the United Miles plat from Chase are like the 2 best cards you can have. I use the United Miles card myself and the amex (horrible economically but lots of nifty perks)

Re: Ok

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:57 am
by Gypsiyee
I have a Citi platinum. My only gripe is that the rewards program is pretty gay.. it's like an 'extra cash' that just gives you discounts off of stuff, nothing that you can build points toward free that I saw. no cashback or anything like that either. but I don't use it for much and never really utilized any of my rewards programs, so it's not really a big deal.

Re: Ok

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:23 am
by leah
gyps, that is EXACTLY what happened to us--it was a circuit city 0% interest deal, and we got boned when they closed. :\

i'm glad to hear good things about citi plat cards, though, because i got an offer in the mail for 0% balance transfers and i'm thinking of xferring a balance from a high-rate chase card to a citi card so i can finally get that sucker paid off :boots:

Re: Ok

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:48 am
by Ginzburgh
It's always in the fine print people. Read it carefully.

And yes, balance transfers work. The most I have ever had on a credit card was 10k, after college to get my life started up. Took me two years to get it paid off and I didnt pay a cent of interest.

Re: Ok

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:52 am
by Reynaldo
I'm very happy with BofA service myself. Have a worldpoints card with them I use as a backup (Continental Airlines World card as main).

They did just slash my credit line in half though. I don't blame them though, when they bought MBNA, we were going to close all our MBNA accounts and the phone rep just rolled them all into our worldpoints card....40,000 limit after that. Good times.

Like Gid said though, usually on your statement it will LOOK like the card is getting interest but in reality it's tracking what will happen if you're late on a payment or don't get the balance paid off in full in time. As long as you're good, it all turns up boobs.

Re: Ok

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:36 am
by Drem
Narrock wrote:Banks are sneaky bastards. Get a credit card from a credit union. Heck, I'm thinking of dropping B of A (B of A sucks more than anything has sucked before), and opening a checking & savings account here:

https://www.schools.org/

or this one: https://www.golden1.com/

I'm leaning more towards Schools Financial Credit Union. The rates are a little better, and they offer discount tickets to theme parks. lol


ya fuck banks. i've used a credit union all my life

Re: Ok

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:48 am
by Naethyn
Navy Federal Credit Union


you just can't beat it.

Re: Ok

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:30 pm
by Harrison
Bank of America has done fine by me since I enlisted. Some little perks for being in the military, nothing substantial.

If I ever have an issue they take my claims seriously. Fuck the last place I had an account with. (a credit union) Was almost a fucking act of congress to get an issue resolved that was 100% their fault.

Re: Ok

Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:52 pm
by Drem
yeah that's just your luck of the draw.... my roommate's with chayse or bank of america or some crap and he bought two plane tickets instead of one on accident and it took them 2.5 months to give him his money back. fuck that.

it took 0.5 seconds for them to take it so why can't they just give it back SAME DAY? because when he called em up, they had no idea what he was talking about. so now it's his fault because the internet was slow and he clicked twice on accident and all they have to do is route $500 back to his account. they claim ignorance when they can pull up a statement and look at the transfer instantly. it even ended up costing the bank money because they gave him $75 to cover food cost over the period they didn't give his money back. zzzzzzzzzz