Forced password reset may be required to login to some games.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:01 am
by Zanchief
God I don't even remember my password. Maybe I should ask the hackers what was password is.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:49 am
by Lyion
haha, I just had the same problem. PSN has autologged me in from the moment I signed up for it a few years back.
I'm hoping I can get Portal 2 registered to play on my PC, although since I've finished it on the PS3, not as big of a rush.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:11 am
by Reynaldo
PSN didn't ask for my current password to set it to something new - at least on the actual playstation and not the webpage.
The EQ login needed old before changing though.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:11 am
by Lyion
45 days free for SOE accounts.
Sadly, I have zero desire to login to any SOE MMO or game.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:44 am
by Tossica
Good. Couldn't wait to cancel my shit.
It's expensive
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:15 am
by Menelvir
Dr. Gene Spafford is a professor at Purdue and executive director of the Purdue Center for Education and Research in Information Assurance and Security. According to testimony he offered to a congressional subcommittee investigating security breaches, a breach can cost the breached company approximately $214 per compromised record - this includes cleanup, customer notification, etc., etc.
In Sony's case, their initial disclosure of the details of the breach stated that 24.6 million records had been compromised. That would put the initial cost (before any other discovered breaches or any additional self-imposed costs) at $5,264,000,000.
I'm guessing it wouldn't have cost $5 billion to update their security systems.
It was mentioned during testimony that Sony's network was "unpatched" and that they "had no firewall installed".
There are a few juicy bits in the almost two hour meeting, though much of it is rather dry.
edit, part deux: Ok, there was a URL exploit that allowed password reset based on email address and DOB, which is at least partially why they took the password reset utility offline. I'm wondering though, given the nature of the data theft, how can they now reliably trust any method of user verification?
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:32 am
by Zanchief
Who gives a shit. Why blame SONY when they were the victim of the hack? What was lost? A month of a free service and they are compensating people for it? I wouldn't have been on PSN the last month anyway. I haven't heard of any actual compromised data. Stop crying about meaningless shit.
This seems like a perfect platform for XBox fanboys to freak out about something that isn't a big deal at all.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:43 am
by Tossica
Zanchief wrote:Who gives a shit. Why blame SONY when they were the victim of the hack? What was lost? A month of a free service and they are compensating people for it? I wouldn't have been on PSN the last month anyway. I haven't heard of any actual compromised data. Stop crying about meaningless shit.
This seems like a perfect platform for XBox fanboys to freak out about something that isn't a big deal at all.
It's the single largest consumer security fuck up ever. Their failure is pretty much a huge deal. Companies get hacked every day. Most of their size aren't stupid or arrogant enough to let it happen on this scale. It's a huge embarrassment for them and a pain in the ass for the millions of people affected. It will end up costing Sony billions of dollars.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:56 am
by Lyion
You are so rabidly anti-Sony and pro MS, it's tough to take you at face value, Toss.
That said this was a pretty monumental fuck up. User data is sacrosanct, and it's fairly easy to safeguard and DMZ your database information. It's far from as stupid as leaving a laptop with all your user data in an airport, it was a very subtle hack.
It's not the end of the world, though, and if people forgave MS for selling millions of RROD consoles, they'll forgive Sony for allowing hackers to steal a legacy user data table, especially since Sony purchased insurance for their players and offered freebies.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:27 am
by Zanchief
Has there been any documented fraud based on any of the information stolen?
The net result to the user is a month off PSN and some free stuff. Big deal.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:12 am
by Tossica
Lyion wrote:You are so rabidly anti-Sony and pro MS, it's tough to take you at face value, Toss.
That said this was a pretty monumental fuck up. User data is sacrosanct, and it's fairly easy to safeguard and DMZ your database information. It's far from as stupid as leaving a laptop with all your user data in an airport, it was a very subtle hack.
It's not the end of the world, though, and if people forgave MS for selling millions of RROD consoles, they'll forgive Sony for allowing hackers to steal a legacy user data table, especially since Sony purchased insurance for their players and offered freebies.
I own a Sony HD projector, a Sony TV, Sony Laptop, Sony BR player, Sony PS3, Sony PSP, Sony camcorder, etc. On the other side, I own an Xbox 360 and run Windows on my computer. I think you're mistaken.
Zanchief, hackers and who knows who else now have a nice tidy database of 70 million peoples names, addresses, usernames, passwords, credit card numbers and purchase history. If that doesn't piss you off, I think you're letting your love for Sony cloud your judgement.
They make nice hardware. That's about all the good I can say about them.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:06 pm
by Tossica
Zanchief wrote:Has there been any documented fraud based on any of the information stolen?
The net result to the user is a month off PSN and some free stuff. Big deal.
If you haven't replaced your credit card yet, I'd suggest doing so.
I don't give a fuck about the network being down. I rarely if ever use it. I am pissed about having my data handed over. You should be too.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:30 pm
by Arlos
I thought the main hack (the 70 million people's personal info) didn't include credit card info? I remember reading the only people who got credit card info taken was a few hundred thousand European customers.
-Arlos
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:12 am
by Lyion
Tossica wrote:
Lyion wrote:You are so rabidly anti-Sony and pro MS, it's tough to take you at face value, Toss.
I own a Sony HD projector, a Sony TV, Sony Laptop, Sony BR player, Sony PS3, Sony PSP, Sony camcorder, etc. On the other side, I own an Xbox 360 and run Windows on my computer. I think you're mistaken..
I should have said PS3 vs Xbox. I'm not quite sure where I could've gotten the idea you didn't like PS3s...
Tossica wrote:The PS3 gets red headed stepchild ports of the 360 versions and in all but a few cases they look far worse and run at 1/2 the speed of their 360 counterparts.
Tossica wrote:Yes, people watch fucking movies on their PS3's since that's about all you can do with them.
Tossica wrote:I don't own a PS3 but of the friends I have that own both, the PS3 sits and does nothing or plays a BR every once in a while. Maybe in a year or so it will be a better gaming platform but for now the 360 absolutely KILLS it as far as content goes.
Tossica wrote:I'm not blaming anyone, I'm saying the versions of games for the PS3 that are also on the 360 are often ports of the 360 version and are not as good.
Tossica wrote:The EA sports games are a good example. 30fps on the PS3, 60fps on the 360.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:09 am
by Harrison
Arlos wrote:I thought the main hack (the 70 million people's personal info) didn't include credit card info? I remember reading the only people who got credit card info taken was a few hundred thousand European customers.
-Arlos
^this
There have been no reports of misused CC info even still.
I just went around and changed as many logins and passwords to all of my various services as I could. MASSIVE pain in my ass, but not a big deal. I should have done that years ago. Using a blanket system for my passwords was a terrible idea and so now I have associated a numbered scheme for each separate service I need a login/password for.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:03 am
by Tossica
I think I'll pass on taking Sony's word for it. They likely can't say with certainty exactly what was compromised and didn't bother to tell anyone that their customer data may have been tampered with for almost a week after they found out.
and yes,
I think the Xbox is a better game console than the PS3.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:04 am
by Tossica
Harrison wrote:
Arlos wrote:I thought the main hack (the 70 million people's personal info) didn't include credit card info? I remember reading the only people who got credit card info taken was a few hundred thousand European customers.
-Arlos
^this
There have been no reports of misused CC info even still.
Because people cancelled their CC as soon as they found out.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:09 pm
by Harrison
Tossica wrote:I think I'll pass on taking Sony's word for it. They likely can't say with certainty exactly what was compromised and didn't bother to tell anyone that their customer data may have been tampered with for almost a week after they found out.
and yes,
I think the Xbox is a better game console than the PS3.
Lol....
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:13 pm
by Drem
well right now 360 definitely has better games, tho most are on both systems i don't think ps3 has any 1st party games that are really that fun
architecturally, ps3 is better but the developers haven't made anything really stand out aside from like.... demon's souls
last guardian is gonna be so hot tho. that game makes me wet
if i could have both i would, but xbox live arcade games totally jablown anything on psn so they got my dollars this time around
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:55 pm
by Jay
While I do prefer my XBox over my PS3, I will say that Uncharted and MGS4 wtfpwn everything that has ever been on XBox.
Re: SOE / PSN services resuming
Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:53 pm
by Spazz
I really like my ps3 but I play most games solo or with a friend or 2 at most. Maybe xbox has better online play but thats not really my thing