Actually, the reverse is true. Political Affiliations try to tie themselves to issues.
Natural Resources, smart birth control, National Defense, etc are not Democratic or Republican issues, even though both sides try and claim them. More often than not its a smokescreen related to FUD.
Kyoto is a prime example. It's a FUD issue.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. – C. S. Lewis
I used the two terms in that sentence interchangeably. Yes, you are correct. But she asked the question why, and that is why. Politics just plays a huge role in everything. I can be talking about how much horsepower our boat makes at a certain altitude, and some environmentalist wacko will screw up the whole conversation by asking how many pollutants the engine dumps into the water, etc.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein