Folding @ Home

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho
Posts: 9103
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:14 am
Location: Kirkland, WA

Post by Jay »

That was also mentioned in the ps3 forums lol.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
User avatar
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by vonkaar »

The heat is hardly noticable unless you are running an overclocked C2D in a tiny room or something crazy like that. I used to OC like crazy and had 340w of heat dumped into my room and F@H never made much of a difference.

Thanks for joining everyone =)
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
User avatar
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess
Posts: 7161
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:54 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by Darcler »

The bottom of my laptop is much hotter than normal, I'm having to put a book underneath it to put it on my legs :(
User avatar
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by vonkaar »

oh

yeah... don't run this on a laptop.

repeat
do not run F@H on a laptop

The cooling on mobile CPUs aren't equipped to handle that kind of load.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity
Posts: 5837
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:32 am
Location: West by god Virginia

Post by Gaazy »

Oops.
User avatar
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess
Posts: 7161
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:54 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by Darcler »

lol oops.
User avatar
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by vonkaar »

Bump!

For you PS3 owners...

F@H momentarily broke 1 petaflop of power! That's freaking insane. Best part is the fact that an incredible amount of power is coming from the playstation clients. Help out your fellow man and get the PS3 client today!

Image

Oh, and fold under my name...
jk, use whatever you want.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity
Posts: 5837
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:32 am
Location: West by god Virginia

Post by Gaazy »

Actually was thinking about this a couple days ago. Ive got 3 or 4 computers here today Ill make everyone install the bastard on haha
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron
Posts: 12490
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:21 pm

Post by Tossica »

It buries the CPU on my old desktop machine but I've had it running for a couple of months.
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity
Posts: 5837
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:32 am
Location: West by god Virginia

Post by Gaazy »

I had it running on my laptop for a while, then he said bad idea :(
User avatar
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by vonkaar »

Well, lots of the overclockers crew folds on a laptop but you have to know what you are doing... there is an option (-battery, I think) that will turn it off when you unplug... and that helps... but there are so many other things that you'd need to change that I don't think it's worth it.

and if you are going to fold under my name, it's vonkaar and team is 32 =)
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity
Posts: 5837
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:32 am
Location: West by god Virginia

Post by Gaazy »

Ya Ive had it running under your name before. Gonna try to add a few computers to it today
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity
Posts: 5837
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:32 am
Location: West by god Virginia

Post by Gaazy »

Ok, just added this comp to it.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron
Posts: 12490
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:21 pm

Post by Tossica »

I have been running under 32 but under Tossica.
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity
Posts: 5837
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:32 am
Location: West by god Virginia

Post by Gaazy »

Im as Gaazy-NT, if i get these other work comps on it ill make them GaazyNT1, Gaazy-NT2. etc.
User avatar
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by vonkaar »

No, don't do that. Keep all the machines the same, that way your points will add up together as they should. Team 32, yes? =)

Like... on stanford's stats page...

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... me=vonkaar

It shows that I have 49 processors folding under my name. That's how I got so many points over the past few years. I mean, if you wanted to check individual computer results, just use fahmon to monitor them... but always fold under a single username.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity
Posts: 5837
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:32 am
Location: West by god Virginia

Post by Gaazy »

k, so make them all Gaazy-NT? And yes im under team 32, it still says loading on my screen for it here tho ><
User avatar
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by vonkaar »

It might take a while for the initial WU.

If you have dual-core machines, you can get CRAZY points by using the SMP client.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron
Posts: 12490
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:21 pm

Post by Tossica »

My old Athlon 700 ain't cutting it! Maybe it's time I bought a new desktop? :(
User avatar
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by vonkaar »

God man... you can get an entire Pentium-D system for like $500 these days.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
User avatar
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad
Posts: 9021
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:39 pm
Contact:

Post by Arlos »

Heh, what do you get for all those points anyway?

-Arlos
User avatar
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard
Posts: 9861
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:22 am
Location: Westwood, California
Contact:

Post by 10sun »

You claim you were instrumental to X factor for the cure of Y genetic disease.
User avatar
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Post by vonkaar »

Pretty much

It's nothing more than that, really... There is a slight competitiveness to it, so 'my team' beats 'your team' but ultimately, it's about the scientific results. I'm ranked number 240 of 734,919 in the world. My goal is to make it into the top100 some day. Nothing happens, I don't get a medal or a parade... I just feel good about it =). Hopefully there will be some major breakthrough and they'll cure parkinsons or prostate cancer... if not, at least I really helped out in this quest of knowledge. We'll know SO much more about the characteristics of protein. Cure or no cure, that knowledge is worth something.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron
Posts: 12490
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:21 pm

Post by Tossica »

vonkaar wrote:God man... you can get an entire Pentium-D system for like $500 these days.


I use my laptop for just about everything these days. The desktop is always on but doesn't get much use these days. Perfect for F@H. I'll look in to buying a new desktop in the next 6 months or so probably.
mappatazee
NT Traveller
NT Traveller
Posts: 2122
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:54 am
Location: au Eugene
Contact:

Post by mappatazee »

Jay wrote:On the PS3 forums this guy talks about how he left his PS3 on folding all day and his room temp went up 6 degrees (small room).

So pros and cons of Folding @ Home

Pros:
Helping researchers learn more about the diseases of today in hopes they will potentially be able to figure out a cure

Hardly uses up resources

Cons:
Causes global warming


shit it goes up 6 degrees in my house every day if i don't regulate the temperature. lol.
Post Reply