Folding @ Home
Moderator: Dictators in Training
The heat is hardly noticable unless you are running an overclocked C2D in a tiny room or something crazy like that. I used to OC like crazy and had 340w of heat dumped into my room and F@H never made much of a difference.
Thanks for joining everyone =)
Thanks for joining everyone =)
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
oh
yeah... don't run this on a laptop.
repeat
do not run F@H on a laptop
The cooling on mobile CPUs aren't equipped to handle that kind of load.
yeah... don't run this on a laptop.
repeat
do not run F@H on a laptop
The cooling on mobile CPUs aren't equipped to handle that kind of load.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
Bump!
For you PS3 owners...
F@H momentarily broke 1 petaflop of power! That's freaking insane. Best part is the fact that an incredible amount of power is coming from the playstation clients. Help out your fellow man and get the PS3 client today!
Oh, and fold under my name...
jk, use whatever you want.
For you PS3 owners...
F@H momentarily broke 1 petaflop of power! That's freaking insane. Best part is the fact that an incredible amount of power is coming from the playstation clients. Help out your fellow man and get the PS3 client today!
Oh, and fold under my name...
jk, use whatever you want.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
Well, lots of the overclockers crew folds on a laptop but you have to know what you are doing... there is an option (-battery, I think) that will turn it off when you unplug... and that helps... but there are so many other things that you'd need to change that I don't think it's worth it.
and if you are going to fold under my name, it's vonkaar and team is 32 =)
and if you are going to fold under my name, it's vonkaar and team is 32 =)
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
No, don't do that. Keep all the machines the same, that way your points will add up together as they should. Team 32, yes? =)
Like... on stanford's stats page...
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... me=vonkaar
It shows that I have 49 processors folding under my name. That's how I got so many points over the past few years. I mean, if you wanted to check individual computer results, just use fahmon to monitor them... but always fold under a single username.
Like... on stanford's stats page...
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... me=vonkaar
It shows that I have 49 processors folding under my name. That's how I got so many points over the past few years. I mean, if you wanted to check individual computer results, just use fahmon to monitor them... but always fold under a single username.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
It might take a while for the initial WU.
If you have dual-core machines, you can get CRAZY points by using the SMP client.
If you have dual-core machines, you can get CRAZY points by using the SMP client.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
Pretty much
It's nothing more than that, really... There is a slight competitiveness to it, so 'my team' beats 'your team' but ultimately, it's about the scientific results. I'm ranked number 240 of 734,919 in the world. My goal is to make it into the top100 some day. Nothing happens, I don't get a medal or a parade... I just feel good about it =). Hopefully there will be some major breakthrough and they'll cure parkinsons or prostate cancer... if not, at least I really helped out in this quest of knowledge. We'll know SO much more about the characteristics of protein. Cure or no cure, that knowledge is worth something.
It's nothing more than that, really... There is a slight competitiveness to it, so 'my team' beats 'your team' but ultimately, it's about the scientific results. I'm ranked number 240 of 734,919 in the world. My goal is to make it into the top100 some day. Nothing happens, I don't get a medal or a parade... I just feel good about it =). Hopefully there will be some major breakthrough and they'll cure parkinsons or prostate cancer... if not, at least I really helped out in this quest of knowledge. We'll know SO much more about the characteristics of protein. Cure or no cure, that knowledge is worth something.
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
-
mappatazee
- NT Traveller

- Posts: 2122
- Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:54 am
- Location: au Eugene
- Contact:
Jay wrote:On the PS3 forums this guy talks about how he left his PS3 on folding all day and his room temp went up 6 degrees (small room).
So pros and cons of Folding @ Home
Pros:
Helping researchers learn more about the diseases of today in hopes they will potentially be able to figure out a cure
Hardly uses up resources
Cons:
Causes global warming
shit it goes up 6 degrees in my house every day if i don't regulate the temperature. lol.






